Diablo® III

What kickstarted your Diablo loving?

90 Human Death Knight
Forgive me if this has been done plenty of times before, but I'm curious as to people's love affair with Diablo, how it started, etc.

For me, it was back in early 1997. My best mate back then (still is to this day) had purchased a new game from his local newsagent. Looking at the CD, I remember how cool it looked, and how the word "Diablo" made me think "Wow, this'll be awesome."

I remember the nights fondly. How I'd take turns leveling my lowly Barb with my mate and his brother, and they leveled their characters. We had this pact of sorts - every time we leveled, it was the next person's turn. They had a level 15 and level 20 Barb; I had a level 1 when we started. As you can imagine, I didn't get much play time.

But, I was hooked.

When it became available, I purchased Diablo for the Playstation (PSX). I was surprised at how smooth the port was. Add to that, you could plug another controller in and could do split screen MP. Made for many a sleepless night.

Fast forward to the year 2000. Diablo II is almost released. I remember mentioning to a sparring buddy at karate that I think there would be a Diablo III eventually - he said "No, they'll tie it all up with this and the expansion pack, and D2 will never die." He was half right.

I started with a Paladin. Loved it. Except, when it was first released, there was no cap on the amount of hits you could do with Zeal until you hit the max, whatever it was, and you kept going until you were finished. Now, imagine if your hit rate sucked? Yeah, that was me. Still, it was fun.

I ruined D2 for myself. I'll admit it - I eventually used a trainer/editor. Mostly, this was to bypass Act 3. I found it so boring. That, and the fetishes...urgh. After that, was LoD, and well, I still play it occasionally to this day.

So, now on the eve of D3, I'm excited, if only to see how they explain Diablo coming back with the soulstones being shattered, etc etc etc.

Oh, and I finally get to get past level 13.

TL;DR - How did your being a Diablo fan start ?
Reply Quote
kickstarter.com
Reply Quote
Diablo loving? Playing it for the first time after convincing myself it would be good because blizzard made it (im a Warcraft II kid)

Diablo III loving? The gameplay video with the barb who gets a full set out of a chest, had a witchdoctor in it later and they fought a boss with barb barb wd wd, so epic
Reply Quote
Honestly I hated d2 when I first started playing it for personal reasons but I stuck around for a while as I had people on there. It wasn't until the announcement of D3 and my bf started getting all excited about it. Having bad experience in D2 had me a little worried about it but we play almost everything together so I knew I would be playing D3 with him. We played through D2 again but this time I actually enjoyed it he made sure of that. Read the book of cain got into the lore side of things now I'm as excited as he is.

I played the open beta and I can't play any other game D3 is my wow killer I'm so happy.
Reply Quote
I recalled the story recently when I convinced my wife about buying CE.

My best friend when I was 11/12 years old started spending a lot of time with another kid. I went up to them in the playground one day and listened to their conversation for a while, not understanding anything I asked what they were talking about, the other kid said "Diablo" I had no idea what he was talking about and they laughed (as 12 year olds do). So I went home and found out, then started saving up, I think my pocket money was like $2 /week at that time.

My dad had gone away on business and my mum was spending a bit more money at the time... While doing the grocery shopping at Woolies I saw Diablo in one of those clearance carts, I jumped at it. Thats where it all began. Me, my brothers and my sister all played in turns.

2 years later Diablo II came out and I had saved $60 from busking on the street to buy it. I still have my original CD key and have played weekly since then. I have been following the news on D3 for a while and look forward to tomorrow as much as anyone.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Stay a while and listen!

I was about 12 when I saw Diablo 1 on display in a Myer shopping center, I played it for about 40mins, was pretty sour bout not having a PC at home..
Either way the it left a lasting impression, years later I walked into a store looking for a game to go with my new PC, what do I find? Diablo 2! I was I looked over the box and was like, Oh shet! its the sequel to the awesome game I played as a young lad! I bought it and morphed into a beautiful, hardcore, nerd gamer.
Reply Quote
Nearly a year ago when WoW died for me.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/14/2012 02:58 AMPosted by Hypersonic

Man, you missed out on all the Diablo goodness from the early years. Still, welcome aboard Hypersonic.

You won't be disappointed.
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 03:33 AMPosted by Gigasmasher

Man, you missed out on all the Diablo goodness from the early years. Still, welcome aboard Hypersonic.

I logged 17 hours on the open beta.

Now I know I what it is like to be a crack addict without his fix for a day, let alone 3 weeks.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/14/2012 03:39 AMPosted by Hypersonic

I logged 17 hours on the open beta.

Now I know I what it is like to be a crack addict without his fix for a day, let alone 3 weeks.

Couldn't agree more. I've been waiting for this for god knows how long.
Reply Quote
I was never actually a huge diablo fan. I beat the original with a Rogue, and then with a warrior, but I never played multiplayer and I never bought Hellfire.
When D2 came out, I guess I got excited about it remebering how much fun I had with the original, but I never finished it. I made it to Act 3 but got tired of the grind (because my build was terrible) and just... I felt like I'd seen what Diablo had to offer, and I was done.

My friend tried to get me into WoW, and I felt it was just an extension of the formula that I'd already seen and become tired of.

Then... Then I played the open beta, and now I just want to play D3. I wonder if I'll get sick of it too?
Actually, I really liked playing D2 with friends, so maybe that's it for me. Soloing just gets boring.
Reply Quote
Went to a local hall where they had some show about the WEB and web page creation HTML etc etc...
My mother had a PC and " the Internet"..
Anyway to cut a long story short there we were walking around looking at Windows 95.. HTML code and as I walked past a lady playing something on a 15Inch monitor I heard that haunting sound / guitar rift and the sound of arrows and things dying dropping coins etcc..
So I stopped and watched her play... it was AWESOME!!!
After like 10 minutes of staring at her Diablo playing I noticed it was on the table and for sale so I bought a copy...

Went home and fired it up and that was where I was lost for the next 3 -4 hrs... then I noticed it said: Free Internet Play .."" OMG!! let's try that..

Yes it was back in the dial up 28Kbps Modem days but oh man... first Multiplayer game I ever played and first time I hooked up with a wizard from Germany who spoke a little English... we had a blast for 2 hours :)
I was hooked so bad my wife thought I was having an affair because I was going from work to parents house ( they had internet ) and getting home at midnight or later every odd day during the week.. LOL

I was 25 yrs old
Reply Quote
Haha I stumbled on Diablo 1 when I walked into a game shop called "Game Genie" in Town Hall, Sydney. Grabbed it and couldn't get home fast enough! I think I played on 33K modem then upped to 56K. All my buddies were hooked, we'd never seen anything like it!

D2 had just as much impact and hooked again. Closed bnet us west right up til late last year. Level 1 Necro every ladder reset.

And now, on the eve of release - it's the journey that never ended! We've all waited years for this, ever since the first announcement and videos of the barbarian and witch doctor.

Cheers to everyone, the wait's almost over with under 2.5 hours for install then the final stretch :)
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I blame my uncle, got me addicted in about 5 minutes to DIablo 1, bought hellfire, there was some other expac in there?? finiished them and got Hooked.. meeting diablo for the 1st time at the age of 15 scared the living crap out of me (took me 2-3 hr's to buck up and kill him rofl)

Diablo 2 got the day it was released, still play the crap out of it with some stubbied and a few mates (good fun power leveling fresh toons!)

Diablo 3.. it will take up 100% of my free time, and even some of my not so free time in the 1st week or 2 =P
Reply Quote
81 Human Warlock
05/14/2012 02:31 AMPosted by Ashelea
Stay a while and listen!

WIN
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
Have been playing WoW for a few years, signed up for the Annual Pass. A friend of mine asked me if i had tried the Beta yet, i hadnt as i wasnt particularly interested.
One night I had nothing to do on WoW, so i installed and tried the Beta, and liked it enough to download a copy and am now installing it.

Im not sure if ill LOVE it, but im willing to give it a go :)
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
My dad bought Diablo 1 home after seeing how awesome it looked, I used to watch him play as the Butchers "Fresh Meat" scared the hell out of me as a child. After dad finished the game (I think after he finished) I played it numerous times I remember running to Akara, The swords the butcher dropped, cleansing the well, and killing those flying half naked ladies near the end.

When Diablo 2 came out we all got this (and by all I mean me my sister and brother) we used to play all the time and I was in a group called Slayer Barbains running on the name Pvt.Kerrigan.FF which was carried with me from starcraft some clan thing I thought was cool and got involved with. This was BEFORE Diablo had the "You must play in 90 days or your account will delete" we played this most nights until I got repetitive strain injury and wasn't allowed on the computer for 3 months

LIFE WAS OVER

Then Diablo 2 expansion came out and I then thrashed assassin, my brother necro and my dad barbarian. We played this for many years and I continued to play this through most of my college years. I was a closet nerd as my partner calls me because none of my mates new I played games - Girls gaming was uncool haha. Anyways we carried on playing and playing.

I thought this was the end... I always hoped a Diablo 3 would come out and after many whispers and rumors its finally here so you can imagine I am pretty stoked. My dad, my sister and I have all pre installed and are ready to Jam at 7pm!!

:D:D:D
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
In my school Diablo was on every computer, same as other games like Age of Empires etc. I remember having lots of good moments with school friends playing Diablo after we finished our work.

I'll never forget the first time I entered that room full of blood. "AHHH FRESH MEAT".
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]