Diablo® III

could not install.invalid installation option

100 Worgen Mage
I too am getting the "Invalid Installation option" error when trying to install D3 on my Mac. I also had this issue a few weeks when trying to install the beta which was never resolved. The image linked below shows the User Agreement page that has to be agreed to before installation can begin. Of note, the default installation directory is completely blank and where it shows how much disk space is required shows as 0.0GB.

http://tinypic.com/r/27wvtlh/6

On my work PC, the default directory shows as "/Program Files/Diablo III" and the space required as 15.1GB.

Seriously Blizzard - your launchers and downloaders are more diabolical then your end Act bosses - can we please get a blue answer here. Your paying customers just want to play your games, but you are making it very hard for some of us. Please do not post links to any of your other "installation tip threads" - they are rubbish and are not helping anybody.
Reply Quote
Hi, i had this problem on all my computers. I solved doing this:

I had the downloaded installer with the folder, the exe is named Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe and the folder is Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer.

First of all you need to copy the entire folder where u have this files/folder (Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer and Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe) to the Program Files path, EX. C:\Program Files(x86) and rename the folder to Diablo III.

Then you need to execute the exe named Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe and choose the "C:\Program Files(x86)\Diablo III" folder that we moved and renamed.

When it finished, enter to the folder Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer and run as Administrator the "Diablo III Setup.exe" file.

And try to install, this worked for me very fine, i spent 15 minutes to fix it.
Edited by Alaric#2392 on 5/15/2012 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
None of these work

What people dont get is this IS the installer and when you click INSTALL it bombs out right away. There are no folders...no nothing. It just doesnt work
Reply Quote
Lol, say what u want but i had this problem and this fix it in the case that u did the first step and when clicking Agree buttom u get that error.
Edited by Alaric#2392 on 5/15/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If that does not resolve the issue, delete the C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder and try the installation again. The launcher will automatically rebuild this folder. If you cannot locate this folder, try these steps:

Click Start
Click Control Panel
If you are in Classic View:
Select Folder Options
Click the View tab
In Advanced Settings under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
Click OK.
If you are in Category View:
Select Appearance and Personalization
In the Folder Options section, select Show hidden files and folders. This will bring up the Folder Options window.
Click on the View tab.
In the Advanced Settings section under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files, folders, and drives.
Click OK.
Try again to navigate to the proper folder:
Windows Vista/7: C:\ProgramData\Battle.net
Windows XP: Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data
Delete the folder, then reattempt the installation.

This worked for me, i thought the "searching for updates" had frozen but I waited it out and install started. I did not run a manual install from the disk, autoplay worked fine for me.
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
No this does not fix the issue.

first step and when clicking Agree button u get that error.

First of all you need to copy the entire folder where u have this files/folder (Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer and Diablo-III-Setup-enGB.exe) to the Program Files path, EX. C:\Program Files(x86) and rename the folder to Diablo III.

This makes NO SENSE whatever. I have ONE exe file. There are no folders...nothing
Edited by PvtHudson#1514 on 5/15/2012 6:33 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I fixed this by stopping my anti-virus software, yes, anti-virus software, not only firewall.
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
No

Not an issue

Again that is not the problem
Reply Quote
I had the same problem. I remove the disk and try again. It worked fine. GL guys!
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
DUDES

We are NOT USING A DISK

This is the digitally downloaded EXE FILE right off your BATTLE NET ACCOUNT PLEASE READ THE THREAD
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Warrior
I was having the same issue with the digital download. Running Windows 7 Pro, kept getting the "invalid installation options" message when double clicking the installer file from my Firefox download window. Tried deleting the program data\battle.net account, still didn't work. Finally, after deleting the folder again, I went directly to the download folder, right clicked the installer file and selected "run as administrator" used the default path and it worked.

I'm not sure why it worked like this, as I didn't have to do any of this on my other PC it just ran. Full admin rights on both machines.

Hopefully this helps the rest of you having trouble.
Reply Quote
As Ulfhedlinn said running it as administrator seems to work.. however it took me a few tries for it to be accepted.
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
Take the Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe and simply move it and place it in C:\Program Files.

Run it again and accept all defaults. Problem solved.
Reply Quote
Manually killed the Agent.exe process from the task manager before clicking install seemed to de the trick for me
Reply Quote
Tried all of the above. NOT WORKING. FML. Battlenet please look into this! This is frustrating! I dont pay 70bucks for this !@#$!
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 07:56 AMPosted by tekkie
Tried all of the above. NOT WORKING. FML. Battlenet please look into this! This is frustrating! I dont pay 70bucks for this !@#$!

I second this... come on Blizzard.
Reply Quote
This worked for me.

1. Disable all firewall/antivirus programs.
2. Ensure the C:\Program Files (x86)\Diablo III.temp folder does not exist.
3. Run the installation as Administrator.
4. Have a Battle.net account active and ready.
5. Play!
Edited by Solaris#1330 on 5/15/2012 8:12 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Got it running, just sharing what I did. I own the disk and had the same problem. I downloaded the installer to see if it works as well but same thing. I went to safe mode with networking and tried installing but it keeps freezing at the update.

Frustrated, I reboot back to normal mode and tried the online installer and it worked some how. Didn't delete the battlenet folder after I rebooted. So I went back and fired up the installer from the disk and somehow it's working now.
Reply Quote
21 Undead Warrior
You even tried this?

Take the Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe and simply move it and place it in C:\Program Files.

Run it again and accept all defaults. Problem solved.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]