Diablo® III

could not install.invalid installation option

i had the same error. I had to activate the game via battle.net first.
Reply Quote
I am seriously going mental.it got stuck 143243242342 milion times,i deleted even the mother of the Agent,and still nothing happends?!?!?!?i got the dvd,and nothing happends??help please?>.>
Reply Quote
I found something that worked for me:

*Go to folder options (on windows)
*click the view tab
*check the "view hidden folder options"
*go to "C:\ProgramData" and delete the "battle.net" folder
*Go to the CD drive where your disk in.
*Right click the intaller and run as administrator

After this just run the installation on its default forder (C:\Program Files\Diablo III).

Good luck! and add me bravo113 on D3
Reply Quote
BRAVO113's solution worked for me as well (deleting the battle.net folder and re-running the setup)
Reply Quote
im am having the exact same problem, and screw it i wasted 4 hours of my life trying to install the game
Reply Quote
who agrees that we should go on a rampage
Reply Quote
Same problem. Tried EVERYTHING ( I have DVD copy)
Reply Quote
I had the same problem. Here is how I resolved it:
- Cleart the battle.net directory in appdata.
- Download the game client from battle.net. It should be ~40M (I downloaded Chinese ver.).
- Run the downloaded game client with admin prevellege. It will upgrade the battle.net agent and client (??)
- Wait the installer until the directory assigning step. Assign a directory you want (not necessarily default directory. I used d:\game\diabloiii). If the "invalid option" is not shown again, then you could exit the installer.
- Now insert the game DVD and run the installer in DVD with admin prevellege.
- Issue gone!

Don't know if there is follow up issue. My installation hasn't completed yet.
Reply Quote
I did something similiar:
I had already read this entire thread and tried all the previously mentioned fixes - turning off security, deleting battle.net folder in programdata, running as admin all to no effect.
So I went into battle.net site, created an account and downloaded the game client and activated the game from there and was able to move past the "invalid installation option" stage however the initialisation meter stayed at 0%.
I had task manager open on performance tab which showed a CPU usage that you would expect on an install so I let it go up unitl the point were the CPU usage dropped back to idle 0% then went in to the disc and ran the setup file as admin but got an unexpected decryption error.
Turns out I had downloaded the English US version, when attempting to intall from the disc the setup file in programdata/battle.net/setup had always been diablo3_ensg so I unintalled the entire game and did the process all over but this time downloaded the English (SG) version from game client.
Same thing happened with the initialisation meter in launcher - it stayed at 0% while my CPU usage in task manager showed something was happening so (having spent more than 6 consecutive hours trying to fix the problem) I let it go while I went and did a few things.
When I got back my computer had entered sleep mode and there was an error message saying something about it not working - so frustrated and tired I didn't even read it properly - but there was a Diablo III folder in programfiles (x86) and it seemed to have all the files so on the off chance that it would work I went back into the disc and ran as admin and nearly fell over when it lauched and I was able to finally start playing the game.
So far no more problems.
This may be a little long winded but I'm not a tech (but have learnt a great deal more from researching this problem) and have no idea what actually fixed the problem just that this is what I did and it finally worked.
Good luck and don't give up!
Reply Quote
I did something similiar:
I had already read this entire thread and tried all the previously mentioned fixes - turning off security, deleting battle.net folder in programdata, running as admin all to no effect.
So I went into battle.net site, created an account and downloaded the game client and activated the game from there and was able to move past the "invalid installation option" stage however the initialisation meter stayed at 0%.
I had task manager open on performance tab which showed a CPU usage that you would expect on an install so I let it go up unitl the point were the CPU usage dropped back to idle 0% then went in to the disc and ran the setup file as admin but got an unexpected decryption error.
Turns out I had downloaded the English US version, when attempting to intall from the disc the setup file in programdata/battle.net/setup had always been diablo3_ensg so I unintalled the entire game and did the process all over but this time downloaded the English (SG) version from game client.
Same thing happened with the initialisation meter in launcher - it stayed at 0% while my CPU usage in task manager showed something was happening so (having spent more than 6 consecutive hours trying to fix the problem) I let it go while I went and did a few things.
When I got back my computer had entered sleep mode and there was an error message saying something about it not working - so frustrated and tired I didn't even read it properly - but there was a Diablo III folder in programfiles (x86) and it seemed to have all the files so on the off chance that it would work I went back into the disc and ran as admin and nearly fell over when it lauched and I was able to finally start playing the game.
So far no more problems.
This may be a little long winded but I'm not a tech (but have learnt a great deal more from researching this problem) and have no idea what actually fixed the problem just that this is what I did and it finally worked.
Good luck and don't give up!

I've tried this and it did pass the invalid installation part, I'm having the same problem as you did too, when you came back and saw that the D3 files in ProgramFiles(x86) were all there, what did you run after that? I'm stuck on that part, did you run the CD? or the Launcher.exe? or just diablo III.exe? I ran diablo III.exe and the play button lighted up, i clicked it as soon as it lighted up but still doesn't work, the bar is stuck at (Launching...).
Reply Quote
I've had the same problem as everyone else, read blizzard's installation troubleshooting page and read through every person's post here. Only Nephethys and Glow's post helped me dramatically. Here's how I solved the problem.

First you need to bypass the Invalid installation options error.
- Delete your Battle.net folder in ProgramData. If you're Win 7
- Download the client on your desktop (only about 40m) make sure you select the correct language to download. And run it as admin.
- Go through to the Terms and Agreement page, select your directory to instal (it doesn't neccesarily have to be your system drive).
- Click agree and if 'Invalid installation options' doesn't come out, then you're good to go!
- Now exit the installer and insert your Diablo III DVD.
- Don't autorun it, Open the files in the disc and run the installer as admin, repeat to choose your directory and now wait.
- It should now play the music and always be at 0% for about 20 min or so.
- Then a window will show up saying that the installer isn't responding, and the only option is for you to force close it. So yeah, close it.
- After that, go to the directory you chose to install D3 and check for a Diablo III folder, inside should have all the stuff that a successful install should have. (my folder was about 7.79G)
- Click inside your Diablo III folder and run the Diablo III Launcher.exe application, let it initialize, then it should be able to play!
Reply Quote
I do this but the launcher dont respond, and i have to close, any other solution?
Edited by Nevitz#1483 on 8/26/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I might of found a solution if ppl are still having problems. Might not work for everyone, but if you do know a friend that is close by that has diablo III, get the following from him or a working one at home if you have one up-to-date. I luckily had my laptop that was working in order to do this. : Batte.net folder, Blizzard Entertainment folder, and the full Diablo III folder. If you do not already know, the Battle.net and Blizzard Entertainment folder can be found in c:\programsdata\ for Win 7. There are other posts that have for mac and xp. The Diablo III folder can be located by clicking start and program files. If not there then start my computer or just computer, then double click local disk drive, then program files(x86). I don't know for mac.

Anyway, lol, got carried away lol, so all you need to do is copy all three of those folders (making sure that they are up-to-date from previous pc) and placing (copy/paste) the battle.net and blizzard folder into c:\programdata\ and the diablo III folder in program files/(x86).

NOTE: Before doing the above, be sure to have previous folders an such deleted. I don't recommend overwriting existing data.

This worked perfect for me. Before, I read and tried everything on here and nothing worked.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
this also worked for me.along with the post from ihax
Reply Quote
I right clicked the install and ran as administer and it worked fine hope it helps
Reply Quote
I had the same problem,
I ran the installer in administrator and it worked fine. hope it helps :)
Reply Quote
For all of you who are still having the same issue I think I have figured out the solution.

There are 4 things that you might need to do.

First make sure that your Windows Explorer can show hidden files. Because "programdata" folder is a hidden file.

You can do this by opening Windows Exporer go to tools Folder Option > Views then tick show hidden files etc.

Second you need to uninstall Battlenet Beta Agent. I tried to install using this program and it won't let me. It is saying I that my pc doesn't have minimum requirement. wtf I was playing the game last year using same pc. So there!

Third is you have to restart your computer to ensure not of the Battlenet program is runnning. then delete Battle.net folder from ProgramData folder in your drive C: Please note not the ProgramData itself or BlizzardEntertainment inside this folder just the Battle.net folder.

Fourth restart your PC then run the installer as administrator. And it should be all sweet.

gg
Reply Quote
Had the same problem. I 've fix it by cleaning all the files from blizzard and battlenet.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]