Diablo® III

Performance drop from Beta to Release

63 Dwarf Shaman
I played Diablo for just a little while in Beta, didnt want to spoil the story etc so I didn't play a lot but I do remember that the performance was amazing on my iMac,

I have a 2011 27 inch iMac with 3.4 i7 Intel, 12 gb ddr3 and Radeon 6970m 1gb

Now my performance is much, much worse than it was during Beta...any other mac user noticing it? It's impossible not to notice. Shouldn't it be the other way around, for a game to work better when released?

Now it's unplayable on native resolution with everything set to "low" while it was working great in Beta with native resolution (2560*1440) with everything turned on, set to high and shadows on medium...
Reply Quote
Sounds like an awesome setup! You'd expect 100% fluid gameplay ...

I don't know 'when' you played the beta, but I had performance issues in OSX during the open beta, while in bootcamp the game was much smoother. I read some people complain that the game was more fluid in earlier versions of the beta and they had performance issues later.

Anyway, I would recommend anyone to just play it in Bootcamp. The videocard runs at a slower fan speed with a more stable framerate overall. At least that was my conclusion after extensively testing the difference between the Windows and OS version.

If you insist playing it in Lion:
The biggest influence on the framerate seems to be the shadows. I just turned them off to make sure the game never dropped below 60. It's not the biggest deal imo to have them on anyway. Also the clutter density to medium does wonders.
It caused some screen-tearing though (not the case in windows 7 for me on the same machine) which is then fixed with vertical sync.

Hope this is of any use until a patch follows.
Edited by Gulzt#2895 on 5/14/2012 2:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
did you hit play before it was 100%? performance is going to be like 100x lower if the game is missing any cached assets and having to build a cache database in game. beta had a similar thing. it just plays terribly if game is incompelte. one way to make sure your cache is built is to delete your agent.db file in your hard drive/users/shared/battle.net/agent/ directory then rerun launcher, it will be forced into rescanning dir and making sure all assets are built, if not, it will build them, so long as you don't hit play early.

on that machine it should run fine though.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 2:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
My performance on the MBP is pathetic. It was running 45+fps pre beta patch 16 - Vasadan PROMISED in known issues that this issue would be fixed. Now it is a chopfest at the login screen which means IT WASN'T FIXED.

Blizzard - how can you sell this as running on a Mac when a core i7 2.9GHz AMD 6490 runs the game at 10fps. Can anyone say FALSE ADVERTISEMENT? At least 1 in 40 are probably using Macs, if not more.

When can we expect a fix?

Seriously... I was an active beta tester and reported this post patch 16... what was that, 5 or 6 weeks ago? And there is NO FIX at launch. UNBELIEVABLE. This machine runs WoW on ULTRA at 45 fps without AA.

Unbelievable. I'm blown away right now. Thank the Lord I have two Win 7 boxes.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
Omega, I noticed you commenting in the poor mac performance threads during the beta... this, is NOT from cached assets. I've experienced that. This is MUCH MUCH different. On my machine I would liken it to the Mac running the HD 3000 (meant for desktop rendering) instead of switching to the AMD 6490.

Please, don't just throw out suggestions unless you are running on a Mac. Otherwise you are just spitballing and bumping important comments to the next page.

Blizzard needs to fix this for the Mac community ASAP or face a class action lawsuit for listing Mac minimum specs on the side of the box.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Omega, I noticed you commenting in the poor mac performance threads during the beta... this, is NOT from cached assets. I've experienced that. This is MUCH MUCH different. On my machine I would liken it to the Mac running the HD 3000 (meant for desktop rendering) instead of switching to the AMD 6490

not for all users no. some users had poor performance from low end hardware, or from a bug introduced in a specific beta build. point is, Beta issues are not relevant right now. complaining about beta issues on a live version of game, is off topic and irrelevant discussion. Please keep thread related to live version discussion only.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 2:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
63 Dwarf Shaman
@Omega, I'm in Australia, game was live and I played for 30 minutes, now it says there's server maintenance.

@Gultz I think I played around the time patches 13 and 14 came out, something like that.

So, once again, I did play the game, servers here in Australia were live, I woke up at 6 AM, pressed play and to my surprise it was live. And performance, while still playable at lower resolutions sucked in native, while in beta it worked amazing.

I downloaded everything 100% before I started playing.
Reply Quote
63 Dwarf Shaman
05/14/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Omega
Omega, I noticed you commenting in the poor mac performance threads during the beta... this, is NOT from cached assets. I've experienced that. This is MUCH MUCH different. On my machine I would liken it to the Mac running the HD 3000 (meant for desktop rendering) instead of switching to the AMD 6490

not for all users no. some users had poor performance from low end hardware, or from a bug introduced in a specific beta build. point is, NONE of it is relevant right now. complaining about beta issues on a live version of game NO ONE IN WORLD has played yet, is off topic and irrelevant discussion. When, and IF you have performance issues with retail version, you should post about it.

i played it, how in hell would I know what's the performance like if I didn't play it, wtf.

In the first post I said "Now my performance is much, much worse than it was during Beta.." how would I possibly say that without playing it.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Ah, didn't realize Australia was ahead of EU launch. I edited original post, my comment was more directed at other person anyways who WAS complaining about a beta issue.

Well in that case, something is definitely amiss. Any unusual reports in console app? Or activity monitor showing bad cpu usage (hung agent process for example)? I've seen agent get stuck open (when it should close after you're in diablo 3) and consume all cpu causing D3 to run crappy. about 30 sec to a min after you see a D3 login screen, agent should be closed, if it's not, it's misbehaving (my opinion, the new launcher is still very much beta).

Also, if you are on lion, make sure you reboot if you used sleep at any time, that lion bug is not 100% fixed yet (even though they listed it fixed in 10.7.3), i've still reproduced it on my mac pro.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 2:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
05/14/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Omega
not for all users no. some users had poor performance from low end hardware, or from a bug introduced in a specific beta build. point is, Beta issues are not relevant right now. complaining about beta issues on a live version of game, is off topic and irrelevant discussion. Please keep thread related to live version discussion only.

Are you serious? The game was fine for 15 beta patches, then 16, 17, and 18 had degraded performance AS DOES the live version. So how is this not relevant?

I'm convinced that you are an MVP because of the quantity of your posts, not the quality. I actively await by ban for stating said opinion. To stay on topic, I await a blue post that addresses the 6 week old Mac performance issue, to include the "live" version.
Edited by RyTEK#1818 on 5/14/2012 3:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
in other news, I just realised/learned that the game was not supposed to be live at the time I played it this morning...

Openen up this thread http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926864165 because I'm really curious how did I manage to play it for that 20 minutes
Reply Quote
Are you serious? The game was fine for 15 beta patches, then 16, 17, and 18 had degraded performance AS DOES the live version. So how is this not relevant?

I'm convinced that you are an MVP because of the quantity of your posts, not the quality. I actively await by ban for stating said opinion. To stay on topic, I await a blue post that addresses the 6 week old Mac performance issue, to include the "live" version.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926594079#2

This is what was stated, as beta is not same as live. So if issues persist for live, then keep it about live and not referring to beta.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support

have YOU played live version yet? because your posts have only complained about beta, the OP is playing live version so his posts are relevant, but are yours? You haven't posted your hardware or much of any relevant information, just ranted about beta issues in someone else's thread.

You also may disagree that asking about caching or sleep/driver issues or other things isn't relevant, but you have to rule out the basic causes first, because sometimes, that's all it is.
You need to first filter feedback to get to the bottom of an issue. You can't just go "performance is bad, bug!" You have to diagnose and troubleshoot. Then, when all avenues have been explored, the dev team has more information to go on.

Also, to say it's a uniform mac problem is just plain wrong. I know of MANY mac users who play fine, performance issue free, INCLUDING myself. Speculation or hearsay is not needed. In fact, i'm confident it's even a minority. The key difference is when things are working, people don't complain. So when you use these forums as a basis of your statistics (forums only used for issues), you cloud your overall view.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 3:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Hunter
05/14/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Omega
have YOU played live version yet? because your posts have only complained about beta, the OP is playing live version so his posts are relevant, but are yours? You haven't posted your hardware or much of any relevant information, just ranted about beta issues in someone else's thread.

Would you like a youtube of my "live" login screen that is exactly the same slideshow as the beta? I can assure you that crows cawing at 10fps is something I am very familiar with. I'll be happy to do the same in 7.5 hours to show you what new tristram looks like in "still" version.

Should I post the system specs yet again? Your assumption is that the graphics engine is significantly different for the live build than the beta build. As far as the login screen is concerned, it is not.

See, this is why blues should comment, not MVPs, which as far as I can tell are people with too much time on their hands.

I will happily follow up in 7.5 hours when the client goes live, as I am sure others will do.
Reply Quote
I'm playing as I type this...during beta, the performance was sooo much better, I had great fps at native resolution with everything on/high except shadows...now with everything low/off its still unplayable 12-13-14 fps...

From beta to release the performance got worse...how is that even possible? (or from beta patch 12-13-14 when I played to patch 16 and someone said)...anyway shouldn't it be more optimized as time goes by not less
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Should I post the system specs yet again? Your assumption is that the graphics engine is significantly different for the live build than the beta build. As far as the login screen is concerned, it is not.

@ Rytek, I made no such assumption, i know it's same engine. just recompiled in a non debug beta build, and with more optimized data files. I wasn't expecting a night and day difference, unless there were bug fixes specific to your configuration. The latter being the point about NOT posting about beta issues.

You've been complaining about beta issues, with hardware that doesn't even match the OP. Also, the blue's were already pretty clear about beta feedback, so an mvp supporting what they ALREADY said is just as good a blue commenting.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926594079
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926493593
or
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4926492913#3

And a few others. The point is very clear. Also, the reason why the beta forums were wiped in first place.

If you have problems with live, discuss them, when you've had a chance to use the live build. However, jumping into someone elses thread and hijacking it is both rude to the original poster who is following instructions, as well as to the blue's who've repeatedly asked nicely to not discuss beta issues. For all you know, YOUR issue is fixed, clearly the OP of this thread still has an issue, but you cannot confirm you are having same issue until you're using same client as is, beyond that you can only speculate, and speculation is useless.

Also, FYI, the beta forums were wiped, the beta bug report forums are gone. Your specs are GONE. So, yes, we need your specs again. But only once you're submiting feedback on live client.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 4:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
I'm playing as I type this...during beta, the performance was sooo much better, I had great fps at native resolution with everything on/high except shadows...now with everything low/off its still unplayable 12-13-14 fps...

From beta to release the performance got worse...how is that even possible? (or from beta patch 12-13-14 when I played to patch 16 and someone said)...anyway shouldn't it be more optimized as time goes by not less

@ Skarter, Can you post your full system specs as well, mac hardware and software and graphics? Devs will need as much info as possible from you and OP to get to the bottom of this.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/14/2012 3:56 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Processor 3.4 GHz Inte Colre i7
Memory 12 gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6980m 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Storage 251 GB SDD

me and the op are one and the same, I didnt know if you change avatars your post history gets different
Edited by Skarter#6241 on 5/14/2012 4:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
Processor 3.4 GHz Inte Colre i7
Memory 12 gb 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon HD 6980m 1024 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3
Storage 251 GB SDD

me and the op are one and the same, I didnt know if you change avatars your post history gets different

Ah ok, sorry about that. Yeah you changed char names so I wasn't aware. :)

Btw, are you still on 10.7.3? Can you try 10.7.4? 10.7.4 does have driver updates in it that may resolve it, they may not have tested 1.0.1 D3 patch on 10.7.3 as they only test it on latest versions of OS X in house (ie 10.6.8 and 10.7.4).
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1524
Reply Quote
Yeah, sure, downloading it right now! Let you know how it goes in 30 minutes or so...thanks for the suggestion
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]