Diablo® III

Someone plz tell me this build is flawed

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVSXiP!Ych!ccccaZ
I thought this build was interesting but I feel that fury spenders are essential to being a barb.
Still all the additional dmg% is very nice...

CON: Low Survivability?
Reply Quote
Your build is well rounded, but I think it doesn't have a big enough boss DPS plan. Here are some alternative ideas. I think your survivability is okay if you play it right. It's a bit dependent on mass mobs though.

I think that no fury/low fury spending builds should probably have Frenzy. It's the best thing you can be spamming without spending rage, and it builds you closer to max while you spam it.

As long as you've got cleave you should be golden for most trash. On top of that you've got Revenge and Charge. Both of which are doubling as your survivability besides your leap (which I think is the best stun you can have).

I'm unsure if Unforgiving is good in here or not.

EDIT: If you just want more damage the best thing you could get would be Ruthless. Maces are some of the best weapons, but their weapon master bonus isn't up to par unless you've also got Ruthless. It's also just a lot of damage.

Normally crit's overall damage benefit is
(BonusCritDamage% x ChanceToCrit%) = Overall Damage Boon
ie.
(1 x .08) = 8% overall damage increase

Ruthless changes that example to
(1.5 x .13) = 19.5% overall damage

The average fury/second cost to upkeep your shouts is .66 repeating for Battle Rage, and .4166 repeating for Wrath of the Berserker.

The main thing about that is that they hit your fury in large bursts so you'll be without your 25% max fury bonus for a bit when you want it most.

I'm unsure about what the numbers will look like at 60 so I can't really judge between life leech, and regaining a percentage of your max life, but if life leech is much better Ignore Pain is probably the best one you can have. The (Ignorance is Bliss) rune will average out to 3.33 repeating overall life leech if you spam it off cooldown. Because it also gives you heavy Damage Reduction it's very reasonable that you can force moments of high DPS on a boss that would normally force you to play conservatively.

These are all just ideas though. Depending on how swarmy bosses end up being your build could be much much better with it's superior AoE plan.
Edited by Lestat#1836 on 5/13/2012 9:39 AM PDT
Reply Quote
A quick question, can we have two spells from the same category equiped at the same time?
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#WQRXiP!YcZ!ZZbcZZ

This build is better all around. Crit Chance and Dual-Wielding Maces/Axes are a priority...

-Drop unforgiving (because it's a !@#$ passive) for ruthless (more crits and more crit damage)

-Drop Cleave for Frenzy + Triumph (this is your main source of damage and provides life regen)

-Drop Revenge for Overpower + Killing Spree (this is your main source of AoE damage with +10% crit and should be constantly coming off cooldown due to your high crit chance and will be better than cleave)

-Drop Furious Charge for Ignore Pain + Ignorance is Bliss (you don't need leap and furious charge, ignore pain will give you better survivability and greater amounts of life regen with the rune)

Change the rune on Battle Rage to Ferocity (while the extra 15% damage bonus is nice, you will be able to keep this up 100% with your high crit chance with the new rune. Wrath of the Berserker is already your big burst dps cooldown. This will give you more sustained)

All in all, with the modifications listed in this build, you will have really high single target damage, high AoE damage, great survivability, and two powerful cooldowns (one defensive, and one offensive). This is probably one of the best "non-fury-spender" builds possible and something I personally will be trying out come launch.

Note: If you try this build, +Life on Hit and Crit will both be a priority and maces/axes will be mandatory
Edited by Seraphim#1611 on 5/13/2012 11:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/13/2012 10:20 AMPosted by JiaFei
A quick question, can we have two spells from the same category equiped at the same time?

Yes, you just have to turn on "Elective Mode" in the gameplay options. You cannot, however, assign the same skill multiple times with different runes.
Reply Quote
It looks fine for normal/NM and maybe hell, but for inferno, you will need better survivability at the start.

Here is what I came up with. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bVeXiP!YXb!bcZcaZ

I tried to keep the build similar to yours while adding a bit of my own personal taste to it.
The idea of the build is to be able to kite while healing up when you get low without losing tons of dmg.

A few ways to do this is swap Gathering Storm glyph for scattering blast. Since that will be your main spammable attack it will help keep the number of hits you take to a minimum.

Replace charge with seismic slam - Shattered ground, the heal from charge is nice but at the same time you would be taking extra dmg from being in the middle of a pack. This may possibly cuase you to take more dmg than you jsut healed.

Seismic slam will help with the extra fury you would have with that build, while being able to do ranged dmg without taking extra hits.

Drop zerker rage for inspiring presence. Sitting on 100% rage just for that buff does not seem ideal when you will want to deal dmg while avoiding hits taken at times. It will allow you to heal up a nice bit while kiting. Zerker rage seems to be more of a pvp thing, pooling rage then unleashing it for high burst.

I highly suggest Nerves of steel or tough as nails to replace unforgiving. How much vit you end up with will be the deciding factor. No explaination for this really, 1 rage every 2 seconds really isn't much and the decay rate in between packs seems hardly noticeable.

Another option for replacing unforgiving could be Ruthless, which will synergize with scattering blast cleave.

Edit: This build would be best played using axes/maces.
Edited by Roadblock#1529 on 5/13/2012 10:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Yes, you just have to turn on "Elective Mode" in the gameplay options. You cannot, however, assign the same skill multiple times with different runes.

@Sparks: would you be able to tell me how to do that exactly? I looked everywhere for it but I can't seem to find it >_> both in-game and in the skill calculator. That would wildly change the set-ups I plan on using haha.

EDIT: Figured it out because I have a bad habit of over-complicating very simple situations haha.
Edited by Exar#1742 on 5/13/2012 10:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhYXSd!ZTY!cZacZa

All about crit, APS, major cc with Wirlwhind being the main attack. Dual wielding axes for the +10%crit with Weapons Master passive ability. mostly used for pvp.
Reply Quote
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhYXSd!ZTY!cZacZa

All about crit, APS, major cc with Wirlwhind being the main attack. Dual wielding axes for the +10%crit with Weapons Master passive ability. mostly used for pvp.

I think the OP wanted to keep his original idea of not having fury spenders for damage. This build is completely contrary to his original idea and is thus not a relevant suggestion. Also, Diablo 3 is about PvE.

Same with you Roadblock. The OP is playing with the idea of no Damage fury spenders, making your build containing seismic slam irrelevant to this thread.
Edited by Seraphim#1611 on 5/13/2012 11:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Thank you all for your responses. I think I am going to end up running this build:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculator/barbarian#bhSRXk!bVU!cZcccc
This build is very defense oriented but I feel that this will be vital for inferno.
I'm sure there are some variations that may make the build better but I think in the end everything will come down to preference. Looking at what the abilities do right now I believe that a highly defensive barb with lower but consistent damage will be more successful than a highly offensive barb with lower survivability. The abilities granting more armor and resistance seem to outweigh abilities granting more damage and crit%.

My plan with this build is to generate tons of fury, and dump it all through a combination of whirlwind and thorns while at the same time minimizing damage taken.

Also, reguardless of build the following abilities are must haves for me:
furious charge(dreadnaught), leap(stun), and cleave(80% slow for 1 sec).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]