Diablo® III

Diablo III requires a newer operating system

This is the error I get upon trying to install from the pre-downloaded AND, current, streaming client.

I am running Windows Vista SP2 and have downloaded every single update that isn't a language pack or game.

I have manually gone through all of my services (in services.msc) to reflect a brand-spanking-new Vista SP2 install. The one exception is Windows Defender, but this is because I have Microsoft Security Essentials running which automatically and completely disables Windows Defender -- the service cannot even be started while MSE is running/working.

I am running on Administrator.

I have tried to install to both Program Files (x86) and to Desktop.

I have deleted and redownloaded the Battle.net folder in C:\ProgramData many times.

I have checked for potential compatibility settings in properties on every single executable related to the install and none are set in compatibility settings.

Anyone have a solution?
Edited by dnk#1107 on 5/14/2012 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
bump
Reply Quote
I have done the same thing as you. Vista 64 SP2. I am on a clean boot so no programs to interfere with it. I also deleted the Battle.net folder many times. This is driving me insane and rage is building that there seems to be no reply from any representatives saying at least they are aware or are working on a solution. I have sent in a ticket but that seems to have no attention at all. Think I am just going to bed and wait until servers go live and try agian.
Reply Quote
My, uh, solution is really in-gracious. It turns out that I had to successively update through Windows Update about three times in a row. I was on SP1 just assuming I had SP2 because I had no more updates to receive...

So update a whole ton, maybe? Stinks.
Reply Quote
99 Undead Mage
I get the same error message running Windows Vista! I've done everything mentioned above and still a no go! Blizzard, please respond......please....
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I have the same issue. I'm finishing installing all Vista updates atm. Ill let you know if it worked for me.
Reply Quote
I am having the same issue as well - running Vista. Not sure what the issue is
Reply Quote
Running Vista 64 and getting the same error.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Mage
running vista and having the same issue. so glad I signed up for a year of WoW for this...
Reply Quote
Okay... so same problem with me....FRESH install.. EVERYTHING updated. I have service pack 3 on my vista 32bit....and no luck...sits on install AFTER it declares I need to update my OS.....so after all day of these fake fixes.....like use compatibility mode....(Blue declared that was only for beta!) I ripped out my vista harddrive and plugged in my bloated win7 that Is kinda clunky (dual booting seems to crash...never had that problem before win7)...runs games just fine like sc2...but takes forever to navigate because its got a lot of garbage....its running now... on win7 64bit.....now I'm at a dilemma with no external hdd...do i format with the factory cd or just run my sickly copy of 7 with diablo thats cruising in the download at 18%? but wait, I dont want to do any of that....Blizzard...I for cereal believe its something to do with vista...everyone who has problems that wasnt corrected by the workarounds (like xp users) all seem to have Vista....I dont know why everyone seems to have only SP2 installed but SP3 isnt any better. Vista32 runs super mathematical on my system. Athlon II X2 240 - 4gigs ram - nvidia gt220
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
Ditto, but I'm running Windows 7. Doesn't seem to have any recent updates for me to install either.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
Same here. Even after installing everything as dnk suggests, no dice.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Hunter
I recieved the same error, on Windows 7 64bit. I have all the high priority updates installed. I hit ok on the error and it contuied onto the install screen... it says its installing but at 0% for about 10 mins now.
Reply Quote
if you have win7 and you made sure to have all firewalls disabled....crazy...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Windows 7 64-bit here, worked and installed just fine for me... :-\ I'm 100% current on all windows updates as well.
Edited by Kittahsmash#1116 on 5/14/2012 3:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Same problem here, need blue
Reply Quote
Same here. Windows 7 64-bit
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I have now fully updated my Windows vista. I downloaded 22 important updates then restarted. I then had 3 more important updates to download. I don't have any more updates from vista. I tried to download my Diablo III and still I get the message requires newer operating system.
Reply Quote
Windows 7 users please be sure to read this thread if your having issues.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4888569313#13

Windows Vista sorry I have no advice at this stage, other than to run the MS Tool that resolves potential problems with windows updates, you can find it in the troubleshooting section of the SP on MS website.

I'd advise the following, find out if it actually successfully installed as SP2, click on start button and type into the search box 'winver' without quotations, it should tell you what version of windows you are using, and if SP2 is detected.

A longer way is to right click on 'My Computer' on your desktop and select properties, to and see if you see SP2 listed next to your version of Microsoft Windows.

I mention the above because with my Win7 SP1 Upgrade, it gave me a successful install message but the dialog box had an error code on it, which meant it actually did encounter a problem.

Also see if you can download the SP2 from their website if the Windows Update isn't working for you.

Edit: Apologies there is no support tool to resolve SP installation issues for Win Vista, only win7 at this stage.
Edited by GoldX#1933 on 5/14/2012 3:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/14/2012 03:51 PMPosted by didiBR
Same here. Windows 7 64-bit

Your using the exact same version of windows as me buddy :D

I had the same problem as you, my diablo 3 is working now.

Try the update readiness tool and see if that resolves any issues for you (mind you it can take up to 2hours to complete its fixes).

Link to Microsoft Readiness Tool
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/troubleshoot-problems-installing-service-pack
Edited by GoldX#1933 on 5/14/2012 4:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]