Get the Desktop App for Battle.net Now
- All your games in 1 place
- Log in once
- Automatic game updates
After some fiddling with the Agent folder in the Battle.net hidden folder (this is WinXP, SP2), I can get the installer/setup all the way to the Installer screen, with the News and Community subject lists at the right side and "INSTALLING..." across the bottom. It does not appear to be going past 0%. In Task Manager, neither Blizzard Launcher nor Agent are doing much of anything; BL is at 45.5Meg of memory, Agent at 10.6Meg. Under Info, Connection Information is greyed out. Every few minutes, like five or ten (!), it will pop up a little box to tell me my system does not meet the minimum requirements - I have a 2.2Ghz processor, 2Gb of RAM, and a video card that should be fine (it's more recent than the rest of the PC), plenty of disk space, etc.
I have made sure that Secondary Logon service thing is enabled; I've got the latest version of the Agent folder, it downloaded it itself. There should be no issue with "not an administrator account", and this isn't Vista or Win7. I _have_ got past "Updating setup files", and did get the beta downloaded, installed, and played the heck out of while it lasted. Unchecking "detect LAN settings automatically" in Internet Options/Connections isn't helping, as it's not -downloading- anything yet. I did predownload as far as I can TELL... and there's 7.56Gb of MPQs in that MPQs folder.
In the folder I told it to install in, it did make a lot of .temp files, and has now deleted all of them leaving a Data_D3 folder containing PC containing MPQs containing several .mpq files ... and there goes the Below Minimum Specifications small screen for the third time ... but it doesn't seem to be DOING anything else in between occasionally telling me again I'm somewhat below the minimum processor specs.
Is this a case of "wait for 30 minutes for it to finish making up its mind about what it wants to do, then it will suddenly start the Installing... progress bar across"? If so, you might warn people about that ahead of time. (If not 30 minutes, is there an amount of time I _should_ be waiting before complaining?) The "Downloader Preferences' under Options (and actually four out of the five lines there) is also greyed out.
Have started again, this time deleting the _entire_ hidden Battle.net folder as suggested elsewhere. Took the same long amount of time to get past "Updating setup files", though this time it only recreated three of them (Agent, Client, Setup); got to the Install screen again; currently at the "Installing..." screen again, at 0%, just got the second "Below Minimum Specifications" popup.
This time it made several more .temp files in the Diablo III folder than before, and appears to have converted some of them to regular .dll files, .exe files, etc., which it did not do before. And Blizzard Launcher and Agent are actually having activity showing in Task Manager, with BL at 44.96Mb and Agent at 60.6Mb (and climbing), so I am guardedly optimistic this time. Connection Information and four of the five Options are still greyed out though.
... oh this is interesting, the Diablo III Install Log.html file ends with "Installation completed successfully"? Hm. ... ... no, the Diablo III.exe file just takes me back to the stuck-at-0% Launcher. I'll give it some time, but I shouldn't have to sit here for half an hour, or two hours, or six, just waiting to see if it'll decide to DO anything else...
Edit: and now it's erased all the .temp files again, but has left twenty or so "real" files behind, which look to be all the ones needed. So now I just have to get advice on how to get it unstuck from 0%-installing.
Edited by dbdatvic#1214 on 5/14/2012 3:35 PM PDT
Still waiting at Installing... 0%. The third "Below Minimum Specifications" screen showed up _behind_ the Installing... screen this time, and it took some fiddling before I could hit OK on it. Once I did, the Installing... screen shot up to 50% CPU usage (though still staying at 0%, and still staying the same size in memory)... as long as it was the top screen in my window. If I put it behind my Firefox screen, it drops to 0% usage; if I put the Diablo III Explorer folder window on top of it, it drops to 30% usage. ... there's "BMS" screen #4, I guess that's progress? ...#5. #6.
Hmmm - I can reliably get it to pop up another "BMS" screen by minimizing it into the system tray, then expanding it again. That can't be intended behavior...
Will give it some time with the Installer screen on top. Which means I can't do anything else on the computer while I wait, which ALSO can't be intended behavior; you don't keep your customer base by making the installation process incredibly annoying.
Edited by dbdatvic#1214 on 5/14/2012 4:22 PM PDT
Update: 2 hours later, after a couple of total cancels and restarts (using the Diablo III.exe file instead of the Diablo III Launcher.exe), and a deleting of the file that the Launcher said was corrupt, that blah-blah-final.MPQ one, I have finally gotten the Launcher to a state where it is actually downloading stuff and has the Setup/Playable/Optimal notches across the Installing bar, and isn't stuck at 0% any more. It does look like it'll be a while, 8.19Gb at around 75K/s, but it's GOING and I can go nap.
Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.
Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.
Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.