Diablo® III

Launcher pops up, press PLAY is not launching

85 Troll Hunter
[quote]Are there any particular programs that have major issues with stopping the Agent program from running? I've tried disabling everything I can think of as far as background programs go
and it still dies randomly.

Usually, it's a security program that interferes with Agent. Unfortunately, just turning them off rarely helps as most security programs continue to run services even when disabled. Although I know it's a pain, the only sure way to be sure if it's your firewall or anti-virus program that's causing the issue is to temporarily uninstall the programs completely.

Thankfully I've not spotted any rampant security program issues, although I did overhear a few reps talking about AVG's Watchdog causing some oddness. Security programs frequently mess with our games, so it wouldn't be too surprising.

I don't think that's the issue and thought I d let you guys know from what I have experienced.

The reason I dont think it's the issue is because prior to installing diablo 3, since I was participating in the beta, I formatted my hard drive, and wiped EVERYTHING from it. SO i installed windows again, all the drivers and did the proper updates from manufacturer (Sager).

I did NOT reinstall any sort of anti virus, not avg, not norton, not anything, and I also had the firewall OFF the entire time.

This is the problems I have been getting:

1. a) Upon clicking play, nothing helps, the game just doesn't start, I waited several minutes nothing.
b) Once i attempt to run it again it says: Diablo III is already running
c) So my next step would to be END process agent, that just tosses me back to step a) and cycle begins

2. a) I delete the battle.net folder
b) Once I double click on diablo 3 shortcut, it now takes a while and a diablo 3 setup launcher screen appears and a bar "updating setup files", following that and after
clicking play we are back to step 1a).

Anyways I have tried everything on this post, I have tried updating my windows, updating drivers, checking for any updates. I am just lost at this point and out of options.

Also I saw that someone worked around it on a different forum by:

Step 1. RIGHT CLICK on diablo 3 and click on properties (not launcher, the actual diablo 3 icon WITHIN your diablo 3 folder.

Step 2. Select tab COMPATIBILITY

Step 3. Under Compatibility Mode - select run this program in compatibility mode for:
option 1 - Windows 7 (which did not work for everyone, this is REGARDLESS of your windows)
option 2 - WIndows XP Service pack 2
option 3 - Windows XP Service Pack 3 (which seems to have work for the most users, including to windows 7 users.

Step 4. ALso select the box under priviledge level - run this program as an administrator.

Step 5. Click apply and then OK.

Step 6. Right click on the actual diablo 3 (not launcher) and try run as administrator.

That did not work for me, but several people were happy after that. Thought I d share
Reply Quote
I was finally able to solve this problem. I kept running and killing both the launcher and the agent manually. Killing one process, restarting it, then doing the same with the other. I watched the processes in task manager to make sure they were done trying to do whatever before each kill and restart. I'd wait until the CPU dropped down to nothing and the memory allocated to each process stayed constant before I'd kill anything. I also deleted the Updates and Battle.net folder at some point in the process. Additionally, I ran the winsock command mentioned somewhere in the thread and restarted my machine (although I don't know if that related to the problem). At one point when it was stuck on the "Updating tools 0%", I killed the agent and re-ran it. It didn't look like anything was happening for 10 or 15 seconds, then suddenly it updated. It was the first I'd seen an update process starting from the "Updating tools 0%" status. Up until this it was always in the "Initializing..." status before it appeared to update. After this update finished, the button lit up and the game launched. When I run it now, it recognizes that the update is in place.

I still have yet to play, bc the servers are down, but I'm at least past this error. All I can figure is that the launcher and agent weren't talking to each other, and somehow killing them and re-running them manually finally got them to work together.

Good luck. I hope this helps someone.
Reply Quote
same problem. this is awful
Reply Quote
tried everything in this thread and the problem persists.
bump.
Reply Quote
6 Gnome Mage
I read somewhere (not sure if it is true) that the agent uses a torrent, so i closed my torrent application in case it was bugging it out and then it worked.. but i also installed some pending windows updates so im not sure which did the trick
Reply Quote
do you guys atleast get the little diablo head that pops up? cause I get that and then nothing happens....
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
05/15/2012 12:23 PMPosted by Tyrion
do you guys atleast get the little diablo head that pops up? cause I get that and then nothing happens....

Yes it's the same thing with me and that's been happenining since i got the game yesterday at midnight.
/bump
Reply Quote
Whats even more maddening is that my coworker next to me games runs fne. Im sitting here with the same OS and anti virus but Im the one that cant log in.
Reply Quote
Ok, work now...

I do:

1 - initialize normaly e click play ( not work )
2 - END process Blizzard launcher
3 - initialize again ( then stuck at 0% )
4 - END process agent.exe
5 - works!

This worked, Thanks!
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Note how many people here are from the MAC community! Zero...

Why didn't i buy a mac? sniff sniff
Reply Quote
Okay, so the fix for me is as follows:
-Open the Launcher.exe
-Then close Agent.exe until the Launcher eventually works.

Basically each time you force close the agent.exe, it restarts, and that changes what the launcher.exe is doing. If you have done it correctly, you should get no loading bar, simply just a Play button. Hope this helps gents.
Reply Quote
I thought I'd fixed this. I was able to log in and create a character before the servers went down. Now I'm getting this error, again.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I've already tried doing the above "fix". Both times I've done this, I've been stuck on updating set up files, and the other time, I had to reinstall the game with the same outcome. Ending the agent.exe process causes my computer to BSOD EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!
Edited by darkfury#1400 on 5/15/2012 3:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Paladin
Yes i talked to a friend who resides in Utah and she bought the game at around 10AM her time, and was now able to log in and play. I bought it at 12AM launch, and I havent played a single minute. Blizzard all i have to say now is F you. Seriously, it's frustrating to pay over a 100 dollars for something that doesnt work on my computer given that's it's a top end computer.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
This issues has also been in beta and mop beta. Not sure why it hasn't been fixed yet.
Reply Quote
Tried everything in this thread + more! Still thinking the only way I'll play is by going and buying windows 7, getting rid of vista, and running this game under "service pack 3" FML
Reply Quote
I had fixed mine by deleting battlenet folder and stopping AV and running as admin and now after latest update the problem is back.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
same here, bump!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
I shouldn't have to buy anything to get the game to work on my computer, this is ridiculous especially after doing wow annual pass, plus spending another $100 on the CE of D3. I really feel that something should be done tonight for us. This is a serious problem, and should be top priority. And I'm done doing suggested fixes from other people besides blizzard employees, because I'm tired of my computer BSOD'ing every time I mess with stopping the processes of agent or the blizzard launcher. And can anyone tell me why we have multiple numbered agents and blizzard launchers, and are they competing at all?
Edited by darkfury#1400 on 5/15/2012 4:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]