The D3 client will not install for me on two separate computers. It starts, says installing and will sit at 0%. If I close the client and re-launch it, sometimes it will update to 1% but never higher than that. I have let it sit for up to 4 hours without interruption, and it stays there without progressing. Restarting the installation will not progress it any further.
This is true for both the pre-download files, and also the new updated web installer. I did the pre-download last week which completed and have the installer with the (Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe) application. All 7GB+ files were downloaded, and I ran the file again just to make sure (it verified all directory contents and then launched the installer). When I run the setup file, I go through the installation steps and it gets stuck at 0 or 1%.
I have also tried downloading the newest D3 installer listed on the Battlenet website (Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe), both give me the same problem on my computers.
As for troubleshooting, I have tried virtually everything posted on this forum so far. I have:
- Deleted the Battle.net folder under c:\programdata (I have done this over 20 times now)
- Cleared all files out of my system Temp directory , %temp%
- Run the installers as an Administrator
- Checked and unchecked Automatically Detect Settings under Internet Options, it does not help
- Disabled all software and hardware firewalls (I currently have no AV software running to ensure it is not the problem). Windows firewall is disabled, and my router firewall is also currently disabled for testing
- Power cycled (first), and eventually performed factory resets on all my home network equipment to no avail
- Tried installing Telnet functionality as one user suggested
- All D3 ports are forwarded to my local IP over my NAT
- I followed the steps suggested by the Blizzard staff in this post - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655
- Set the installer to compatibility mode, and to install under Windows XP SP3 (I'm on Windows 7 x64, SP1)
I have noticed that on the installer the Connection Information option is grayed out under the Info menu. This has been true on every installation attempt. I have also gone through the logs and will post the contents here. I can't pin down why the data won't download, but it is not a problem specific to a single machine. Given my problems with SC2 and another user also picking up on this server issue within Blizzard, I feel there may be a problem with how this data is being sent to my ISP.
Here are the logs files after a fresh install attempt. I cleared out the battle.net folder, and ran the installation file currently available from the battlenet website (Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe). I cleared out all previous temp files on my system, and any failed installation files for D3. It launches, updates the setup files, then runs the installer. I install the game to the default directory, and let it run for 20 minutes without interaction. I then closed the installer.
Maybe someone can make sense of this. It's frustrating to be unable to install a game you have purchased.
You can copy and paste the URL's below into a browser, it would not let me post them as a URL here.