Diablo® III

Multiple Systems Stuck at 0% on Install

85 Blood Elf Mage
I have two computers at my desk, both on Windows 7 x64 with SP1. Both well past the minimum hardware requirements. One of the systems has a fresh install of Windows 7 and is fully patched. The other is also fully patched, and has never had a Blizzard game installed on it prior to today. I believe this may be an issue with Blizzard and my ISP AT&T Uverse (in Houston) which I will expand upon later in this post. I recently have encountered ISP / Blizzard related problems with SC2 patching that was confirmed by another user in this thread. There is an issue with the content delivery system that is in place for some regions(us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/4857226228)

The D3 client will not install for me on two separate computers. It starts, says installing and will sit at 0%. If I close the client and re-launch it, sometimes it will update to 1% but never higher than that. I have let it sit for up to 4 hours without interruption, and it stays there without progressing. Restarting the installation will not progress it any further.

This is true for both the pre-download files, and also the new updated web installer. I did the pre-download last week which completed and have the installer with the (Diablo-III-8370-enUS-Installer-downloader.exe) application. All 7GB+ files were downloaded, and I ran the file again just to make sure (it verified all directory contents and then launched the installer). When I run the setup file, I go through the installation steps and it gets stuck at 0 or 1%.

I have also tried downloading the newest D3 installer listed on the Battlenet website (Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe), both give me the same problem on my computers.

As for troubleshooting, I have tried virtually everything posted on this forum so far. I have:

• Deleted the Battle.net folder under c:\programdata (I have done this over 20 times now)
  • Cleared all files out of my system Temp directory , %temp%
  • Run the installers as an Administrator
  • Checked and unchecked Automatically Detect Settings under Internet Options, it does not help
  • Disabled all software and hardware firewalls (I currently have no AV software running to ensure it is not the problem). Windows firewall is disabled, and my router firewall is also currently disabled for testing
  • Power cycled (first), and eventually performed factory resets on all my home network equipment to no avail
  • Tried installing Telnet functionality as one user suggested
  • All D3 ports are forwarded to my local IP over my NAT
  • I followed the steps suggested by the Blizzard staff in this post - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655
  • Set the installer to compatibility mode, and to install under Windows XP SP3 (I'm on Windows 7 x64, SP1)

I have noticed that on the installer the Connection Information option is grayed out under the Info menu. This has been true on every installation attempt. I have also gone through the logs and will post the contents here. I can't pin down why the data won't download, but it is not a problem specific to a single machine. Given my problems with SC2 and another user also picking up on this server issue within Blizzard, I feel there may be a problem with how this data is being sent to my ISP.

Here are the logs files after a fresh install attempt. I cleared out the battle.net folder, and ran the installation file currently available from the battlenet website (Diablo-III-Setup-enUS.exe). I cleared out all previous temp files on my system, and any failed installation files for D3. It launches, updates the setup files, then runs the installer. I install the game to the default directory, and let it run for 20 minutes without interaction. I then closed the installer.
Maybe someone can make sense of this. It's frustrating to be unable to install a game you have purchased.

You can copy and paste the URL's below into a browser, it would not let me post them as a URL here.

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Agent\Agent.954\Logs
  • luna-fx.net/logs/Agent-20120514-190304623.txt

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Client\Blizzard Launcher.1575\Logs
  • luna-fx.net/logs/Blizzard_Launcher.txt
  • luna-fx.net/logs/agentclient.txt

C:\ProgramData\Battle.net\Setup\diablo3_enus\Log
  • luna-fx.net/logs/Setup-20120514-190232250.txt
  • luna-fx.net/logs/Setup-20120514-190234377.txt
  • luna-fx.net/logs/Setup-20120514-190248570.txt
Edited by Kyria#1256 on 5/14/2012 9:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
A possible solution,

I switched from the default DNS settings for AT&T Uverse in Houston to Open DNS servers, cleaned up all D3 install files, and started fresh with the latest web installer. In the past hour it has downloaded 4.9GB of data, and the client sits at 3%. I'm sure this % will jump up as files validate and complete. It's more than I can say for the past 12 hours of testing with the standard DNS servers through my ISP.

It looks like local DNS routing in my area may have been to blame through AT&T.
Reply Quote
Deleted the Battle.net folder under c:\programdata (I have done this over 20 times now)
Cleared all files out of my system Temp directory , %temp%
Run the installers as an Administrator
Checked and unchecked Automatically Detect Settings under Internet Options, it does not help
Disabled all software and hardware firewalls (I currently have no AV software running to ensure it is not the problem). Windows firewall is disabled, and my router firewall is also currently disabled for testing
Power cycled (first), and eventually performed factory resets on all my home network equipment to no avail
Tried installing Telnet functionality as one user suggested
All D3 ports are forwarded to my local IP over my NAT
I followed the steps suggested by the Blizzard staff in this post - us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4904620655

I had the exact same problem as you, I also tried a lot of your steps. First, it may actually be downloading, because when I got it to work, it immediately jumped to 11% done... so leave your downloader open even if it says 0%.

Next, I did a couple of things you may not have: I set compatibility to windows xp SP 3, I updated all pending critical and important 7 updates, and then I rebooted. Once I rebooted, it worked, but not before.

Sorry, I don't know what exactly fixed it for me, but good luck. I hope yours is actually DLing in the background.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Since updating my DNS servers on my primary machine, rebooting, I've been having luck. The Connection Information option on the Info menu is now available on the installer. I have got a few messages about files being corrupt, but I delete them and restart the installer and have been having some success. The downloader is now at 20%, downloading at 2.1MB/s

Hoping it is able to hit 100%! If not I'll post my results.
Reply Quote
35 Orc Warrior
I'm having the same issue here with a Mac. I have trashed everything I can find and tried reinstalling and it does not work on Uverse. I have reset my 2wire to defaults and put my machine in the DMZ and still nothing. I have changed my DNS to google and OpenDNS. Nothing. The only thing that works is either connect through my cell phone, which would be expensive, or connect through my work VPN. After doing that, it works. It seems AT&T is somehow blocking the new battle.net agent.
Reply Quote
try this http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5008660934#1
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
I'm having the same issue here with a Mac. I have trashed everything I can find and tried reinstalling and it does not work on Uverse. I have reset my 2wire to defaults and put my machine in the DMZ and still nothing. I have changed my DNS to google and OpenDNS. Nothing. The only thing that works is either connect through my cell phone, which would be expensive, or connect through my work VPN. After doing that, it works. It seems AT&T is somehow blocking the new battle.net agent.

I was in the same boat. I put my machine into DMZ mode on my 2wire and had nothing. I updated my DNS to the Open DNS servers in Windows 7 and still had problems at first. I rebooted and cleaned out the battle.net folder, and all the temp download folders on Windows 7. May be different on Mac for temp file locations.

I then ran the latest installer on the battle.net website. I did not use my pre-downloaded files from last week. It spent about 1 hour at 0%, but then started to update. After 2+ hours, I was able to see the connection information tab on the installer.

I think part of the problem may be due to demand, and a part of it is an issue with Blizzard sending their data to certain ISP's. All I can advise so far is so clear out all installed data, update the DNS, reboot, and then try an install with the latest installer on a fresh system. Give it a few tries. It did give me a few errors, but restarting it and removing a few corrupt files has kept it going. It's currently at 36% (3GB).

I spent all day at 0% with nothing downloading prior to the DNS update.

As for the Open DNS servers, I am using the following:

Edited by Kyria#1256 on 5/14/2012 9:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
35 Orc Warrior
So by logging into my work VPN, it jumpstarted the install which only had a small download since I pre-downloaded the 8 GB package a while ago. It finally finished so I disconnected from the VPN and ran the game. It timed out saying it couldn't connect to a stream for patches. So I went into the launcher window and turned off peer-to-peer and it now works on my wide open connection to Uverse. I wonder how many Uverse customers are having this issue.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
05/14/2012 09:51 PMPosted by Chuga
So by logging into my work VPN, it jumpstarted the install which only had a small download since I pre-downloaded the 8 GB package a while ago. It finally finished so I disconnected from the VPN and ran the game. It timed out saying it couldn't connect to a stream for patches. So I went into the launcher window and turned off peer-to-peer and it now works on my wide open connection to Uverse. I wonder how many Uverse customers are having this issue.

That is one thing I did forget to mention. I was getting errors at first, but after disabling P2P, I've been getting good error free results. Glad to hear you are having some success!

It seems blizzard has problems delivering content to AT&T Uverse customers. I hope they are able to sort it out. I'm sure there are many users out there who are not able to pin their problems down to the same degree we were able to.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
My download finished. It seems the issue is with Blizzard and AT&T. The DNS change fixed it for me, and a VPN connection got Chuga the files he needed to finish the install. I hope Blizzard can fix this soon.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]