Diablo® III

Why does WD have a close range weapon?

This is my first Diablo game, so please bear with me on this noobish question.

I'm trying to understand why characters like the WD can hold close range weapons but he doesn't seem to use them. How exactly does this effect game play?

Thanks so much for the insight guys. :-)
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
weapons are stat sticks. a staff is not a ranged weapon but is the primary weapon for sorcerers.
Reply Quote
This is my first Diablo game, so please bear with me on this noobish question.

I'm trying to understand why characters like the WD can hold close range weapons but he doesn't seem to use them. How exactly does this effect game play?

Thanks so much for the insight guys. :-)

It's a weapon for casting spells and not a physical weapon, i.e. stab muthas in the heart. Is used to cast a hex. You want a dagger with +spell stats not dex or strength
Reply Quote
Does my poison dart damage go up when i equip a higher dps weapon?
Reply Quote
Damaging abilities are based on a % of your weapon damage. Your weapon damage goes up, your ability damage goes up. This is true for all classes.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 02:56 AMPosted by Punkhaole
weapons are stat sticks. a staff is not a ranged weapon but is the primary weapon for sorcerers.

So essentially there is no benefit to me using a basic sword with 9.0 DMG over a basic bow with 13.4 DMG, given I don't care about using a shield?
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
05/15/2012 09:36 AMPosted by Chernobyl56

So essentially there is no benefit to me using a basic sword with 9.0 DMG over a basic bow with 13.4 DMG, given I don't care about using a shield?

In previous Diablo titles, this was true.

Now all skills are based directly off Weapon Damage, and cast rate is based directly off Weapon Attack Speed.

High DPS = Higher damage on skills.
Specifically, High Weapon Damage = Higher Spell Damage
High Attack Speed = Faster Cast Rate.

So there are trade-offs. You could have a heavy-hitting slow weapon, and you'd cast powerful spells very slowly, or you could have a lighter hitting fast weapon, and you'd cast weaker spells quicker. Generally speaking a DPS increase is a good thing, and Attack Speed is used to calculate DoT damage on spells, so there is no advantage on DoT skills to choose a Heavy Hitting Slow weapon. The disadvantage for fast weaker weapons is using a bit more mana to cast more often for direct damage skills.
Reply Quote
Because blizzard screwed the pooch big time on how weapons work and are used in this game. They are basically just passive damage adjusters that never get used for some classes. Really a genuinely awful and embarrassing way to make weapons feel meaningless other than as passive stat modifiers.
Reply Quote
Okay the way it was described as a stat stick is pretty accurate. The attacks damage is governed by a percentage of your hand held stat sticks damage. Tricked my a bit at first i hit ever button on the keyboard trying to get a swing in lol, well none of them work unless you have no spells equipped, so dont do it lol.
Reply Quote
So there is no way to use the weapon to melee? that sucks
Reply Quote
Why does it suck>? Theres no REASON to.
Reply Quote
Then why even have weapons? Why does a poison dart ability derive it's entire damage from the club your WD is wearing? Why does an arcane orb get it's power from a 2 handed sword? Why does a monk dual wield axes and then punch things? You mean to tell me that a monk's fist attacks get power from axes that he puts away every time he attacks? It's idiotic. The game is great, but the way they did weapons is amateur hour.
Reply Quote
I scratch my head at the legendary ceremonial knives, that ONLY witch doctors can use. They all have +elemental damage, which doesn't carry over to our skills. It's freakin mind boggling. 12 years, and this game feels rushed and completely unfinished...

It's like if Zynga made a Diablo clone.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]