Diablo® III

Thoughts after normal clear

Hey fellow witch doctors.Ive finished my normal clear and im at level 32.

Id like to share my views on some WD points.
First, i find myself using poisondarts+splinter since start.i think its the best long range ability to use when youre out of mana.
Also i cant live without acid cloud.Specially with that range increase rune.
Those too have been im my build since i got them.They let me stay away from the melee mess,and not get my squishy behind in danger.
I also use horrify and mass confusion for defense/cc , and ofcourse,the gargantuan for an off tank.
Im playing with a monk and a barb.

All in all,i think im too dependant on acid could and darts+splinter.Do you find yourself in that situation too?
I tried a sacrifice build,but being too close to the action isnt for me.
Your thoughts ,fellow WD?
Cheers!
Reply Quote
I'm only half your level but I was digging haunt.
Reply Quote
How are your pets holding up against the boss'/elites?
Reply Quote
i am level 16 and i think dog die too quickly. They never stay for too long against bosses
Reply Quote
I'm about level 15 now and I find myself also using poison darts and splinter over everything else. I pretty much just camp back, let my templar tank, slow with zombie grab and spam darts with a high dps weapon. I don't find myself really casting much else because the poison dart with splinter seems to do better damage than anything else I have anyway. Did anyone else feel like the frogs and spiders were way underpowered?
Reply Quote
I am not that far yet, but I will definately not be using poison darts, whatever it takes. I know some of our other direct dmg abilities require more mana, but I will tailor my gear to my abilities. I have set abilities that I'm going to use, with firebats with the disease rune being my primary attack, and that is what kind of dissapoints me with diablo 3, I have to wait till 55 before my build is complete.

The whole time i'll be tailoring my gear toward my build, and trying to make it work, even if it isn't the most effective in the game.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
Hey fellow witch doctors.Ive finished my normal clear and im at level 32.

Id like to share my views on some WD points.
First, i find myself using poisondarts+splinter since start.i think its the best long range ability to use when youre out of mana.
Also i cant live without acid cloud.Specially with that range increase rune.
Those too have been im my build since i got them.They let me stay away from the melee mess,and not get my squishy behind in danger.
I also use horrify and mass confusion for defense/cc , and ofcourse,the gargantuan for an off tank.
Im playing with a monk and a barb.

All in all,i think im too dependant on acid could and darts+splinter.Do you find yourself in that situation too?
I tried a sacrifice build,but being too close to the action isnt for me.
Your thoughts ,fellow WD?
Cheers!

05/15/2012 07:04 AMPosted by GrofSmash
I'm about level 15 now and I find myself also using poison darts and splinter over everything else. I pretty much just camp back, let my templar tank, slow with zombie grab and spam darts with a high dps weapon. I don't find myself really casting much else because the poison dart with splinter seems to do better damage than anything else I have anyway. Did anyone else feel like the frogs and spiders were way underpowered?

In response to these, I found Spiders are great if you can stand still and chain cast them on something. In THAT situation, they are really effective, and creating a mini wall around the monster making it harder for it to move.

However I find Poison Dart with Splinters to be more useful when you are actually on the run, or low on Mana. It's much nicer to shoot one off and finish off a mob or two, compared to the spiders where there's no guarantee they'll even attack the mob you want them to.

Haven't got to Firebomb yet, but so far Dart seems to have the best on the fly usage.
Reply Quote
I'm in act 2 I find it rather hard.
Reply Quote
I found the dogs to be kinda underpowered,bot the gargantua is very good and stays up through mostly all fights.
The thing about frogs/spiders is that you have to be very close to the enemy to use them ,and if thats the case,youre probably gonna get hurt.
Also,i forgot to mention,used firebats till i got haunt with lifesteal.Never changed it since,its awesome!
Reply Quote
I
The thing about frogs/spiders is that you have to be very close to the enemy to use them
Huh? You can hurl spiders from quite a distance..
Reply Quote
With shift i guess that u can stand and throw em
Reply Quote
I can,but i just dont find them as effective as a dart with splinters.Unless i want do to some path blocking.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
05/15/2012 08:06 AMPosted by Wahnon
I can,but i just dont find them as effective as a dart with splinters.Unless i want do to some path blocking.

I agree, and am somewhat disappointed, as Spiders seemed to be one of the "Funnest" primaries to use.

Hopefully they will get better with additional rune unlocks.
Reply Quote
I'm only in the beginning of act 2 but zombie dogs are definitely weak. Constantly dying and offer very little DPS. I've been rolling with 2 other people but I'm mostly just using CC(grasp mainly) and darts(+splinter).

I wanted a summoner based WD(I miss my damn army necro blizzard!) but if zombie dogs are any indicator - I will probably end up having to go with a hybrid build.
Reply Quote
My dogs do OK, but its admittedly early (level 6), and solo.

I like spiders as the primary and I plan on breaking a lot of porcelain. Also, I'm using red health globes to buff up pets, from time to time, and that seems to help keep them around longer.

I think chain-casting of spiders, dogs, and grasp go well together because of the way they clog everything up. I can open with grasp in a choke point with mobs in it, or layered over the dogs, when they attack, and summon spiders until nothing moves.

Basically, if it isn't a ranged attack, virtually nothing seems to reach my WD.
Reply Quote
65 Undead Warrior
Currently spamming spider jars. Everything around you eventually dies with enough spiders scurrying around. Feels kind of retarded throwing a jar full of spiders at barrels and caskets, though.
Reply Quote
My problem is that at least two spells seem to be vastly superior ,one is darts (splinter or mana returning) and that insane acid bubble...
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
05/15/2012 09:37 AMPosted by Wahnon
My problem is that at least two spells seem to be vastly superior ,one is darts (splinter or mana returning) and that insane acid bubble...

Yeah I can't wait to try out Acid Cloud!

And I understand your concern, I was trying to use Spiders and struggling more in certain situations than when I just used Dart and [Splinters].
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
I love the witch doctor i am level 7 atm but so far i know i'm gonna level this doctor all the way up. FTW have fun everyone.
Reply Quote
Try getting 3-5 stacks of Soul Harvest then summon the dogs. I am not 100% sure but it seems to me it makes them stronger.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]