Diablo® III

Diablo 3, the largest DDoS attack in history

Blizzard is now the orginizer of the largest DDOS attack in internet history against... themselves. Someone in marketing should have consulted the network infrastructure guys regarding the release of the game.

Here's how they created this perfect storm.

1.) Make one of the most anticipated games in history, design it so that everyone needs to login to play the game, and do so without a login queue, causing repeated "hits" to the login server.

2.) Spend millions on marketing to produce the largest number of presales in the history of the company. 1.2 million people alone from world of warcraft annual subscriptions.

3.) Release the game with a global start time, rather than letting people trickle in by timezone.

This will make headlines.
Reply Quote
Hahahahah prolly not headlines but it's definetly a recipe for disaster. Offline mode doesn't seem so stupid now does it?
Reply Quote
Well headlines in gaming news anyway ;)
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Warlock
I wouldn't be surprised if even the old folks at CNN had a giggle at such a face-palm situation.
Reply Quote
1 Tauren Warrior
Sure, it didn't help that Blizzard planned the release this way. But they aren't the the only ones responsible for this.

Someone posted on a website (i'll call it /v/) that they are in command of a botnet. They claimed a day before release to launch a DDoS attack at D3 login servers. They said they didn't have anything against Blizzard, they just claimed to be bored trolls.

They also claimed to have caused much chaos during D2 at patch 1.09 and so on.

Blizzard please look into this, I have so many friends who are raging that they aren't able to log in.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]