Diablo® III

Help with DPS

85 Draenei Priest
Im assuming I would do more damage as a witch doctor with a 2H weapon? I will be having a barb and monk with me 90% of time.
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
WDs are casters.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Ok, but don't our dmging spells get based off our weapon? Im quite new to diablo so bear with me. =/
Reply Quote
87 Troll Druid
The bonuses (as well as the weapon's DPS) you'll be getting from equipping ceremonial daggers with mojos (off hand) will far outweigh the bonus from equipping a 2handed weapon at any point passed the first few levels.
Reply Quote
I was wondering the same thing. Do casters benefit from a weapon with greater DMG (2h of course would have the highest) ? Like your dogs benefit from a percentage of your dps.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Priest
Well, idk about later, but I am running with a 2H weapon and my dmg is a decent amount higher then a 1h weapon, but I could see your point later punk
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 03:02 AMPosted by Jumal
Im assuming I would do more damage as a witch doctor with a 2H weapon? I will be having a barb and monk with me 90% of time.

I only played OpenBeta but will start my WD tonight. You want a good one hand weapon that supplements your main stat + HP. You also want the vodo shield, looks like a rag doll, with applicable stats.

You don't hit with your weapon you cast so you want stats that boost your casting powers.
Reply Quote
As i understand it your weapon damage is multiplied by your primary attribute (witch doctor = Intellect)

obviously early game a one handed item with intellect and a Mojo/SH off-hand will contributed more intellect than weapon damage but multiply the weapon damage creating greater spell damage output.

also it will be hard to find spell damage two handed weapons other than staffs via anything but crafting.

This information is not fact but its how i understand it at this stage although i don't know if there is a class bonus for using class specific items.

D
Reply Quote
Mkay reviving this. Can anyone clarify for definite whether % of weapon damage in spells is dependant on the on hit weapon damage or overall dps. Because if it's "on hit" then a 2hnder will come in over a 1hnd and off every time regardless of mana bonuses as they are slower and hit for much more, basically doubling ALL your spell damage. Even the int modifier isnt that powerful until way into the game from what I can see.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
05/15/2012 05:30 AMPosted by Fel
Mkay reviving this. Can anyone clarify for definite whether % of weapon damage in spells is dependant on the on hit weapon damage or overall dps. Because if it's "on hit" then a 2hnder will come in over a 1hnd and off every time regardless of mana bonuses as they are slower and hit for much more, basically doubling ALL your spell damage. Even the int modifier isnt that powerful until way into the game from what I can see.

Casting speed = Attack Speed

For MOST Skills:
Weapon Damage is what is used in calculations. (Eg, if the weapon does 12-20 damage, that is the number that will be used in the X% of weapon damage calculation)

For DoT Skills:
Attack speed is factored in on top of Weapon Damage to determine the damage per tick of the DoT. This means there should be NO DIFFERENCE in damage of DoTs for two weapons with the same DPS, but differing Attack speeds and damages.

As for additional fire/cold/lightning damage and the like:
Not confirmed yet as to whether this adds to spell damage, or if the effects are added. So far, best guesses think the answer to effects is NO, although the damage may be added in as PLAIN damage.

Edit: So in terms of RAW damage, a 2H weapon will win (depending on stats of course). But with a big slow 2H weapon, your spells will also cast big and slowly. A faster weapon with the same dps will hit less hard, but more often.
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/15/2012 7:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]