C2D E8400
Enermax 520W
4GB DDR2 Kingston
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
500GB Samsung
Windows 7 64 bit
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
Game isnt worth playing......about 10 mins in to the final battle against Diablo on Nightmare mode, my screen turns black and I lag out every....single.....time...and come back dead.

Time to find a new game, this one sux balls.
Reply Quote
should I just buy a new vid card? this is driving me nuts, I don't have old video cards, I run 2 and both are relatively new...

i have a feeling its a game issue, it only started happening after the new patch came out...
Reply Quote
Nvidia 9800gtx+ (Aka: GTS 250)

In order to get the card to stay under 90 degrees F and to run stable I had to:

Downclock both the core and the memory by 100mhz.
Set the system to only use 1 card (the system in question has 2 in SLi)
V-Sync on
Max FPS 57

On an alternate system I have a 4870 Toxic edition, runs about 87, no problems at all.

This seems to affect cards that run inherently hot. High performance cards. 6970's. 9800gtx+'s. GTX 295's and such. Things like that.

I would try to reproduce it in the lab with cards that are inherently hot, but are that way really by design.
Reply Quote
*Running 9800GTX*

Well after 3 Black screen and music crashes, reboot to recover, no errors, in 10 mins from a cold boot I turned on my vsync and changed screen res from widescreen to regular 1280 x ?, I have just played 4 hours straight, no issues and some very intense action in places with high char levels on screen, high load on card, and not a single issue....flawless.

Its not heat related .....
Edited by Jellyfish#2423 on 6/3/2012 3:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
this isnt an actual fix.. more of a work around... full screen windowed mode.. so far so good (99% sure this will fix the issue for good)
Reply Quote
Sorry changing window mode, resolution, or literally any of the graphical options does NOT fix my issue. I have spent hours cleaning my computer, changing settings and updating drivers, nothing is helping.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 Driver Version 8.17.13.142
Win7 Ultimate 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Intel i7 920
Patriot 6GB DDR3 1333 RAM
DirectX 11
EVGA X58 3SLi
Reply Quote
Let me premise this post with a few things:
- I have a Nvidia card
- This won't help anyone with temperature-related issues
- Be careful tampering with motherboard settings if you don't know what you're doing.
- Apologies if this has been brought up here already, I didn't read all 28 pages of this thread

Short version
Try disabling any on-motherboard graphics options through your bios. It may or may not help, but can't hurt to try.

Long version
I was having the same problem mentioned by many here: my video would stutter/blank out for ~15 seconds. Sometimes the desktop would appear with the 'Nvidia drivers have stopped responding and have recovered,' message, and other times I would have to reset the computer. This would occur randomly, sometimes happening twice within a short period, sometimes happening after hours of play. As a hardcore player having lost a few characters to this problem, I was fairly desperate for a fix. I searched many forums and tried many potential fixes without success.

At some point, a friend of mine suggested disabling on-board graphics options on my motherboard. I have a new motherboard which supports lucid virtu, and there is an option to disable IGPU multi-monitoring in my bios (this option controls the lucid virtu feature). After disabling this, along with all other on-board graphics options, I have been problem-free for ~3 days, which have included quite a bit of playtime. Since my problem was occurring randomly, I can't say with 100% certainty that it has vanished. But this is by far the longest period of time in which I have not experienced the issue.

This may sound like, and may in fact be, a narrow solution which will only help a few others. However, I have read in a multiple places that Nvidia cards are somewhat sensitive to external communication (ie. when the motherboard or something else tries to communicate or extract some bit of information to/from the card - other than graphics information of course). While I think my problem was solved by disabling lucid virtu settings (which demands some extra communication between the card, the MB, and the CPU), there may be many other motherboard/northbridge functions which could be triggering that sensitivity.

I have no idea if this will help anyone or not, but I thought it couldn't hurt to post. It's obviously not a fun problem to deal with.

Cheers.
Edited by Josh#1749 on 6/4/2012 1:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Here is a solution that has fixed my issue.

In the NVIDIA control panel, under anti-aliasing options I chose to "enhance" instead of "override". I do have the anti-aliasing box checked in game. I have not seen a single crash in the past couple of days since changing the option.

I am using a GTX 275 SLI setup with the 301.42 drivers and SLI is enabled in game as well as I am using EVGA precision to monitor everything.
Reply Quote
I have the same problem here but it boots me out of the game instead and my screen stays black. I have all updated gear and my memory is fine. But i mean 28 pages later and no answer, i'm not going to !@#$% about it if there is no solution. Come on blizzard. Just like everything else throw some money at it and fix this solution. It's only 2012 for crying out loud.
Reply Quote
The most common areas for this to happen in game include the "spider cave" in Act 1 (very frequently) and often as well many parts of act 4 (could get it to consistently crash at the library of fate).
Reply Quote
9800gtx+

This is beyond frustrating. Just a few stacks, make a bit of progress then the screen start flashing to black, eventually bumping my respawn up to 30 seconds (since I die every time the screen goes black) then I go to black and it never comes back.

I have up to date drivers and have tired every "fix" in this thread.

It even does it when I run it the absolute lowest settings possible, disable one of my monitors and disable my audio entirely.

I play games on high settings all the time and this one can't run for more than a few seconds without crashing.

This is unacceptable.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I experience the same issue but I'm not using nvidia, I'm using ATI Radeon HD7450. When it does it, it just alt tabs me to desktop and I can go right back into the game without problem. Happens very rarely for me. Maybe 2 times in a week.
Reply Quote
Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate, 32-bit (Service Pack 1)
Video Card Model - Nvidia GeForce GTS 250
Driver version - 301.42
Max Video Card Temperature - 79 C

Played for a couple hours but didn't experience a driver crash this time. I'll report back if I get a higher max temp.
Reply Quote
OS - Windows 7 Home Premium, 64-bits SP1
AMD Bulldozer Zambezi Six-Core Processor 3.3Ghz
4Ghz Ram 1333Mhz AMD Entertainment Edition
Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1Ghz DDR3 - 256bits
Driver Version - 301.42
Max temperature - 72ºC

In my case the screen is not black, but drop to 10 fps when I'm fighting against various foes, I tried lowering the settings to 800x600 and put everything in the minimum configuration, but did not solve the problem.
Reply Quote
Check your mouse.

If you have a Logitech Marathon mouse, button 8 is auto-assigned to "Application Switcher." Button 8 happens to be the entire left part of the mouse, so I would find myself during hard moments gripping the mouse and all of a sudden the screen would minimize to me being all "WTF."

Check out the logitech mouse options, button assignment tab, and make sure it get's set to other>do nothing
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
any support or resolution from Blizzard? Has anyone heard when they're going to patch or update this because it is a very common problem for people using windows 7 64 bit, and I can confirm it's definitely NOT a hardware issue, or a heating issue, this is a software issue. Hopefully tuesday will bring a patch that will fix this or I imagine a lot of people will stop playing because it is destroying their computers.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Warrior
this isn't just a NVIDIA problem, I'm running dual radeon 5770's with AMD x4 3.4 GHz water cooled processor and my heat is less than 80 at all times. I can do anything with this computer, but whenever I get on D3, instant crash.
Reply Quote
Just got a new GTX 680 by EVGA (Super Overclocked).

This is happening to me.

Not sure who's at fault here...
Reply Quote
Operating System - Windows 7 (64bits) / Windows Xp (32bits)
Video Card Model - nVidia 250 GTS (GIGABYTE)
Driver Version - 301.24
Max Video Card Temperature - 70ºC

it crashes at 68ºC and also sometimes even at 58-59 at low settings.

I tried both operating systems and it had same results.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]