Diablo® III

Screen Turns Black and alt tabs me out.

I've turned all the setting off or on lowest, run 800x600, 15 max fps and still have the issues consistent in certain areas of the game just the same. I've posted across 5 - 6 different threads on this issue and sent an email to technical support to only receive a "@$#$ you" back.
Reply Quote
Thread's unstickied can we get an official word from Blizz? I'm running a GTX 295 but my system crashes frequently in Act II desert areas. It is not overheating the temperature is super stable and limiting the FPS does not help.
Edited by GamerVer05#1959 on 6/13/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^ yes please

We've gotten enough damaged hardware; we could at least get a Blue response
Reply Quote
I think DustyLuck could be onto something here. I had a good "one" night of playing last night after the patch, then fell back into the same pattern of black screens, freezes, and computer restarts today.

I can't keep having my computer freaking out like this, it's starting to affect things beyond this game. I had played since launch without problems until the latest patches. There has to be a reason/fix associated with something that has been done.

To think, I was going to get my authenticator for the RMAH today. I've put that plan on hold. If I can't play, I can't help contribute to your financial success. Might be something worthy of consideration.
Reply Quote
Bump.

ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5850
:(
Reply Quote
Same here - ATI Radeon Mobility HD 5850, on an HP Envy 17

Sad puppy...
Reply Quote
Didn't get a chance to play around for any length of time yet. Tomorrow is my day off, so there is that.

That's the other thing though. Destroying cards? What destroys cards besides heat, time, and voltage spikes?

Maybe there is something amiss in virtual address spacing or something causing stress.. humm.. chance for corrupt directx upon installing (well running) of certain patches?

:/ I suppose I'll also try uninstalling/reinstalling directx. Why not. Throwing everything at the wall.. let's see what sticks.
Edited by DuskyLuck#1932 on 6/13/2012 11:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
^Yeah DustyLuck it's hard for Blizz to take those with no overheating issues seriously because a lage portion of people with issues similar do actually have overheating

Those with Radeon mobility cards it may actually be overheating, you should check on that
Edited by GamerVer05#1959 on 6/14/2012 7:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
If this thread isn't stickied anymore, does that mean the issue is fixed?
Reply Quote
Can someone give me the gist of whats happened since about page 12? Any better fixes than dropping the gpu clock speed on the 250's yet?
Reply Quote
06/14/2012 08:30 AMPosted by Owren
If this thread isn't stickied anymore, does that mean the issue is fixed?

Not for me at all. I just had a system crash while fighting the Skeleton King with full Nephalem Valor : (.
Reply Quote
Problem solved at least to me!!!

I have an nVidia GTS 250 card made by XFX bought 3 or 4 years ago. It's a good card but its noise is disturbing. Since I'm not a hardware expert I think the noise is a pretty normal thing.

I encountered this problem since the first day diablo 3 got online. The driver stopping responding and recovered problem keeps happening every 30 to 50 minutes while I playing the game.

I searched many forums trying to find some solution with no luck. But I did download CPUID to monitor the temperature of my system. It turned out that the temperature of my GTS 250 card is around 62 Celsius when idle and 70-80 Celsius while I playing the game. I tried to turn all the effects to low or disabled and lower the frame rate to 45. But the temperature keeps at the same level and the problem is till there, but it did happen less frequently.

I felt the problem is more like an over heating issue. So I bought a third-party video card cooler from amazon and replaced the original one. And surprisingly the problem is gone. Now the card temperature is around 45 Celsius when idle and keeps steadily around 55 Celsius all the time while I playing with the highest display settings under 1280x1024 resolution. And moreover, the new cooler's fan speed is only 1300 rpm and the disturbing noise has gone as well.

At the first time I realized that hardware manufacturers always put cost control ahead of quality control. Like this GTS 250 card, XFX gave it a cooler which can only keep it from burning while leaving the noise and over heating problems to the customers.

Anyway, I fixed the problem and hope my experience can help.
Edited by lniniaa#3262 on 6/14/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Alrighty, well I said I would report back.

So in my wife's rig I replaced her power supply with a Corsair GS700. In it before was some off brand 800w PSU.

I also installed another case fan. A big one.

Before I started the game I went into the nVidia control panel and set both fans to run @100%. All of her case fans are running full blast as well - I know this PSU can take it.

Looked in HW monitor, lo and behold the 12V rail is maintaining a nearly consistent 12.06V on both cards (Up to continuous 56A it reports on the thing itself)

I booted up the game, and ran it through Skycrown battlements 3 times. No crashes.

The video cards stayed below 60C. (it capped at 58C to be exact)

What can I say besides this:

I do not know why, and I hope they fix it; But this game will tax your video card. Even if your video card should run this game without breaking a sweat. Even if it should breeze through. Your video card will get hot. The voltage will be tested.

I also know that we have never had -any- trouble having these cards up to 75 or so degrees before in games for long periods of time without any crashes. Fable III, Oblivion, some hefty enough games... With the same setup as before.

But this game was, for me at least, creating stressful enough conditions on the video card that it needed to be extra cool, and rock solid stable on the voltage or it would crash.

And I'm quite sure that given time.. with enough driver crashes and stress, my video card would have started locking up and failing given time too.

I guess my best advice is to make sure your drivers are reinstalled clean. Make sure you have enough cooling to get the card down below or at say... 65C? The above poster pointed out that he was having issues @ 70-80, but none at 55C.

I would make sure your power supply is providing consistent amps on the 12V rails. Which it should if your supply is Tier 2 (maybe 3) or above on this list:

http://www.eggxpert.com/forums/thread/323050.aspx

If they can somehow update the game to not make our cards that should run it fine quite so stressed... dandy.

But in the meantime I guess I'm not too bothered. There is nothing wrong with this rig staying nice and cool, and having stable power. Provides better longevity anyway.

I truly am empathetic to those still having issues. I wish you all the best solving them.
Reply Quote
Problem solved at least to me!!!

.......................................................................................

I felt the problem is more like an over heating issue. So I bought a third-party video card cooler from amazon and replaced the original one. And surprisingly the problem is gone. Now the card temperature is around 45 Celsius when idle and keeps steadily around 55 Celsius all the time while I playing with the highest display settings under 1280x1024 resolution. And moreover, the new cooler's fan speed is only 1300 rpm and the disturbing noise has gone as well.

.......................................................................................

Anyway, I fixed the problem and hope my experience can help.

Say the cooler model, please.
Reply Quote
Problem solved, for my problem anyway. I was having black screen issue after alt-tabbing while in fullscreen mode. Mine is not due to high temperature problem and underclocking didn't solve it either. I'm using an nVidia GT 325M, running on Windows 7 64-bit.

I just installed the latest nVidia drivers (301.42) and set the D3 executable in nVidia control panel 'Power Management mode' to 'Prefer Maximum Performance'. Now I can alt+tab and return to the game without fear of it being a black screen when i return.
Reply Quote
Why was this thread unstickied? Is this issue not being looked into anymore? It seems to have definitely not been fixed yet. I have a friend I'd like to play the game with and he's been unable to play it since it came out because of black screens and driver resets.
Reply Quote
06/15/2012 07:48 AMPosted by Антон
Say the cooler model, please.

Sorry, Антон. The model is DeepCool V400 (h t t p:/ /www.deepcool-us.com/Product/V400/). I bought it from amazon China. So I guess the model name might not be very helpful. But I think any product like that with 2, 3 or 4 heatpipes can do the job.
Reply Quote
Bump for real fix before hardware damages further for buying an entertainment game

I've tried all the proposed solutions since launch day to no avail, at a point where I stopped "playing and crashing" because my computer was starting to randomly crash at other games as well after insisting on Diablo 3 so much
Reply Quote
The blackscreens are getting worse. Is my hardware getting damaged already???
Reply Quote
im having this problem too for the first time this morning.. i have never had this problem and ive been playing since launch and it just all the sudden happened this morning. this has happened 7 times in a row already and its very frustrating
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]