Diablo® III

Screen Turns Black and alt tabs me out.

Can we plz get some info if this has been fixed or should I just give up on D3. I stopped playing after my vid card fried itself. Oh well its summer time anyway. I just feel like a sucker because I signed up for the annual pass and only thing I got to show for it is a mount in wow and a broken vid card. This is starting to bring me back to my EQ days. Blizzard the new SOE.
Reply Quote
hey so this last sunday i popped some adderall xr's and decided to get to the bottom of this problem, i tried everything you guys have been mentioning and fortunately enough i stumbled upon a thread claiming that under clocking your gpu would put a fix to it, so i tried it and it worked out. just gotta download the nvidia tools or whatever. the thread is somewhere on here, but it worked for me and my gtx 295s. I'm not computer savvy at all but the tools was basically user friendly enough, i even made a nvidia profile to under clock only when i launch diablo 3, which is cool. Also, i was able to run the graphics on full without getting any of these graphics card disconnects. i under clocked the first category or whatever by 100, and the 2 subsequent ones by 200. just try it, you'll be happy you did.
Reply Quote
06/18/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Rapo
hey so this last sunday i popped some adderall xr's and decided to get to the bottom of this problem, i tried everything you guys have been mentioning and fortunately enough i stumbled upon a thread claiming that under clocking your gpu would put a fix to it, so i tried it and it worked out. just gotta download the nvidia tools or whatever. the thread is somewhere on here, but it worked for me and my gtx 295s. I'm not computer savvy at all but the tools was basically user friendly enough, i even made a nvidia profile to under clock only when i launch diablo 3, which is cool. Also, i was able to run the graphics on full without getting any of these graphics card disconnects. i under clocked the first category or whatever by 100, and the 2 subsequent ones by 200. just try it, you'll be happy you did.

Hey Rapo keep a eye on your temp I did the samething and it fixed the blackout but not the over heating. Unless over heating wasnt one of your problems.
Reply Quote
Still having crashes, took off the Thermal paste on the GPUs on my 295 and put on new paste, no change will underclock card for now. Wish I didn't have to.
Reply Quote
06/18/2012 09:28 PMPosted by Rapo

I just have one lonely 295 with dual chips do you have 295s where they put the two GPUS on one chip to reduce heat?
Reply Quote
Operating System - windows7 professional 64-bit (6.1, build 7601)
Video Card Model - NVIDIA Geforce GTS 250
Driver Version - 301.42
Max Video Card Temperature - 92 degrees C
Reply Quote
Really disappointed in how they are handling this situation. All I can do is sit on the auction house all day. The moment I join a game I just want to break my monitor.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Hey all!

We (Blizzard and Nvidia) are looking into this issue, and we'd like to get some heat numbers from you so that the engineers will have a clearer picture of how things are breaking down. To check where your heat levels are at when the blackscreen occurs, please follow the below instructions. Once you have the number, please reply to this thread with the following info:

Operating System -
Video Card Model -
Driver Version -
Max Video Card Temperature -

Thanks!

Heat Monitoring Instructions

1. Download and install any Hardware monitoring program such as CPUID’s Hardware Monitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
2. Startup up the Hardware Monitoring program.
3. Expand the section you want to see (Video card in this case).
4. Start Diablo III in Windowed mode, and move the windows so you can see the Video card temperature while Diablo III is the active window.
5. While playing Diablo III pay close attention to the temperature of the video card.
6. Write down the max video card temperature.

Alternative: If your computer only blackscreens in Fullscreen mode, just start up the monitoring program before you begin playing, and after the blackscreen occurs alt-tab back to the monitoring program and check the maximum video card heat level.

**Note** Each video card has a different temperature threshold, and where one video card may black screen at 80c, another may black screen at 100c.

WORKAROUNDS
After you get the needed data, try switching on Vsync and dropping your "Foreground FPS" to 40 in the options menu. It doesn't work for everyone, but it may help some while the engineers work on the issue.

Unfortunately, it isn't just Nvidia cards that are having this problem. I, and others, are using AMD cards and seeing the same thing. I am using an HD 6970. I will check my temps when I get home...
Reply Quote
How about... NOT telling us your planning to roll out performance updates during the next few patches which could take over 6 months.

Instead you put full man-power on this issue and give an ETA for tomorow night. I.E a server restart with hotfixes for a couple of videocards with this issue or have nvidia have a new driver release within two days.

THATS HOW YOU TREAT YOUR CUSTOMER BASE.
Reply Quote
this problem has been happening to me, but ONLY after the latest patch 1.0.3.
I lowered all my settings to the lowest possible, and it happens even more often.
Happened while i was fighting Zultan Kulle on inferno, went black screen, flickered a second then brought me right back into the game, and needless to say, I was dead.

This makes it very very hard to play the game, and im 100% sure that this never happened to me once before the new patch
Reply Quote
this problem has been happening to me, but ONLY after the latest patch 1.0.3.
I lowered all my settings to the lowest possible, and it happens even more often.
Happened while i was fighting Zultan Kulle on inferno, went black screen, flickered a second then brought me right back into the game, and needless to say, I was dead.

This makes it very very hard to play the game, and im 100% sure that this never happened to me once before the new patch

Welcome to what I've been dealing with since the release of this game. Could you imagine leveling 2 characters to 60 with that constantly happening. -_- Would love to play hardcore but yea...
Reply Quote
OK I am going to try Underclocking. Sounds naughty...

Can anyone recommend a program to use to Underclock an AMD chip?
Reply Quote
06/21/2012 01:08 AMPosted by Chanto
Really disappointed in how they are handling this situation. All I can do is sit on the auction house all day. The moment I join a game I just want to break my monitor.

When can we fix this problem?
Anything improved in the past month?
Reply Quote
Windows 7
AMD Radeon HD 7800
Idle Temp ~ 30 degrees C
In Game Temp ~ 60 degrees C

I was crashing quite frequently on default video card settings. I underclocked to about half of the default values and turned the GPU fan up to 70% power. This temp fix helped me and I didn't blackscreen for almost a week, but I just blackscreened again about 30 minutes ago.
Reply Quote
Windows 7 64 Bit
AMD Radeon HD 7870 OC Vers.

I think, the unofficial Beta driver from: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=364400
solved the crash issues for me. Maybe someone can test it, too?
Reply Quote
Blizzard, looking for some Blue Response in regards to an update with this? At least some communication to advise this is still being looked into or it's not IS required.

Have tested all the blue's suggestions without any success. Running a completely new Ivy Bridge build with a Sapphire 7870. Absolutely no other applications installed. Heat does not even touch 45 degrees celcius when it is crashing according to GPU/CPU-Z.
Reply Quote
CPU TEMP sub 50C, GPU (GTX570) SUB 60c.

Tried at least 10 different drivers from 275.33-desktop-win7-winvista-64bit-international-whql.exe to the latest BETA. Always use VSYNC, set it to 59 & 60 (which is my monitor refresh). Have yet to try 40 because that seems dumb but that is next.

Only way I can play is if I tab out every 2-3mins and let things sit at 1FPS (background setting) for about a minute then continue playing for 2-3mins. Awesome experience.

Only happening since latest patch. Tried almost every combination of in-game settings possible - highest to lowest to a mixture of everything.

I used to be able to leave it logged into the character screen or AH for days. Now it crashes in the AH after 5mins (and when I mean crash, I mean this):

crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\062412-12729-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x7F1C0)
Bugcheck code: 0x3D (0xFFFFF88007320780, 0x0, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8800103C78E)
Error: INTERRUPT_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
file path: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check appears very infrequently.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

This is Diablo3 doing something that cannot be handled by both UNIX & Windows kernels and causing them to shut down to avoid data loss.

A patch is required very soon.
Reply Quote
I had this problem several times in the first 2 weeks or so (9800 GTX) and messed around with my video settings, which seemed to fix the problem. Then ever since patch 1.03 last week, the problem has come back and now I can't seem to fix no matter what I do to my settings...
Reply Quote
So you all have issues with running the game not many people can help if you don't share what kind of machine your running and all the other details. So, please run DXDIAG the click "save all information..." then copy paste all that info in your post with any issues you maybe experiencing. This would help people help you, troubleshoot your issues.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]