Diablo® III

Poison dart or spiders early game?

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
I'm trying to decide, spiders seem to be good for keeping the horde of zombies off me, but I've got zombie dogs for that. Would darts just kill them off faster?
Reply Quote
i prefer darts to spiders
Reply Quote
I enjoy the extra pathing disruption spiders cause. Poison dart will give you the higher single target dps (especially runed), but I enjoy using [Leaping] spiders since I can carelessly toss jars into a pack being held at bay by my dogs. For those that get too close to me I use Firebats.
Reply Quote
Poison Darts by a mile! I have been using this as my main ranged attack and I am at plague of toads.
Reply Quote
Darts for sure, rapid darts!
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Death Knight
Darts are faster.
But later on, when i'm not plowing through content, I'll probably switch to spiders.
Reply Quote
Totally new to this game but I chose the Spiders ... lobbing multiple jars of spiders at a pack of snared mobs is easy mode.

But I may just go back to darts just to try it out.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Rogue
i like darts
Reply Quote
From the tool tip it seems like they only bite once though, right?
Reply Quote
Soul Harvest 5 mobs, and mow the lawn with splinters.
Edited by Reebokpumps#1274 on 5/15/2012 11:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Reebokpumps
Soul Harvest 5 mobs, and mow the lawn with splinters.

This
Reply Quote
Darts all the way.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:36 AMPosted by Reebokpumps
splinters

05/15/2012 11:40 AMPosted by WeaponX
splinters

splinters?
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Keynllanth
splinters

splinters

splinters?

poison dart runed with splinters
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 11:33 AMPosted by Daddypurp
From what I can tell, the darts give a higher instant damage though the spiders will end up doing more damage in the long run. Especially on boss fights. Throw those spiders and let those little bastards *@%! faces.

Splinter runed darts actually do higher DPS than spiders as well as being instant. However, they are not a lob attack, do poison damage, and don't cause the AI pathing interruption of spiders.

I'm going barbed darts until I can rune Spirit Barrage for mana regen at level 23 and use it as my primary attack.

PS: elective mode is the only way to play.
Edited by brinebold#1864 on 5/15/2012 11:54 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Darts seem to make destroying certain breakables in the environment a lot easier
Reply Quote
This! I used spiders till I got the runed darts, then they pale in comparison. Add some soul harvests and you clean house! I'm only level 10 though, so maybe runed spiders will rock.
Reply Quote
84 Tauren Druid
Base spiders doing all damage to one monster:
16% * 2 attacks * 4 spiders = 128% weapon damage

Base poison dart if DoT can tick:
140%
If attacking once per second (overwriting the DoT being assumed)
120%

Therefore Base Spiders > Base Dart for single target spamming.

Leaping Spiders (all hits one monster):
19% * 2 attacks * 4 spiders = 152% weapon damage

Splinters (all hits same monster):
60% * 3 = 180% weapon damage

Therefore Splinters > Leaping Spiders for single target spamming.

Spiders give pathfinding difficulties on mobs though, and can be cast "Around corners", so when it comes down to Leaping vs Splinters it is more about personal choice.

Edit: Two more considerations:
1. You cannot directly control what a spider attacks, causing damage to be spread out over a group in most cases.
2. Poison Dart is easier to damage Monsters with while on the run.

Spiders = lower, continuous damage over time
Darts = Higher, instant damage
Edited by Randomorph#1252 on 5/15/2012 12:08 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So maybe runed spiders will rock.

Not really. They add some decent utility. Nothing other than the slow is particularly great though. If you're looking for DPS, none of the runes put it close to splinters until blazing spiders at level 55 (which puts it significantly above splinters).
Edited by brinebold#1864 on 5/15/2012 12:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]