Diablo® III

Diablo 3 is causing my comp to overheat?

Please respond.

I'm certain at this point my ATI Radeon 5670 is overheating causing my computer to shutdown because of FPS issues with D3.

After I capped my fps to 50 instead of 170, the shutdown times have been less frequent, although still certain once I play for 30 minutes or so.
Reply Quote
View profile
Anyone else?
Reply Quote
air compressor may be a lot of dust or update videocard drivers
Reply Quote
D3 is making my GPU run hotter than normal, but not enough to cause a shutdown. I would suggest capping your FPS to 45 just to be "safe" and monitor your temps and fanspeeds (might want to manually force the fan to stay at a higher speed as some GPU's wont kick it up until it gets to X and is "too little too late").
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Have you tried lowering the D3 video settings? Put them at the minimum settings and work your way up.
Edited by Liha#1975 on 5/15/2012 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Mage
Try opening your case and dusting out your graphics card with a can of compressed air. A buildup of dust can cause the heatsink to not work properly.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You can also when u take it apart use Isopropyl Alcohol. Aka Rubbing alcohol. When you use the alcohol use some Que Tips and get all the dust just laying around in the hard to gt places. Just be sure that its a higher precentage alcohol (means less water) 70% will do the trick and you can get it at Walmart and pratically anywhere else.
Reply Quote
In my case I clean my tower out once per month, remove the GPU and use air on that aswell (The radiator needs the cleaning/dusting so I do the entire system while I'm at it). I have noticed almost no difference in temps from minimum settings to Max (4C difference).
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Have you ensured all your drivers are up to date?
Reply Quote
Drivers are up to date, computer is not dusty.
Reply Quote
Overheating is not a software issue; the game isn't "making your PC overheat", it's just overheating because it's working harder than your cooling can deliver.

This is usually caused by dirty, grime-caked fans and heatsinks or by the lack of proper ventilation.
Reply Quote
Or by making the GPU work harder doing a simple task as was the case during the SC2 beta (though the driver bug didn't help some people). If it was dirt or dust, why can I run a program now with a forced fan speed and get very similar temp ranges than I do with D3? It's not overheating, but it is 7-10C higher. Capping my FPS down to 30 did keep my temps lower than they were but still higher than normal for being under load.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 02:51 PMPosted by Fooby
Or by making the GPU work harder doing a simple task as was the case during the SC2 beta (though the driver bug didn't help some people). If it was dirt or dust, why can I run a program now with a forced fan speed and get very similar temp ranges than I do with D3? It's not overheating, but it is 7-10C higher. Capping my FPS down to 30 did keep my temps lower than they were but still higher than normal for being under load.

My sentiments exactly. Who doesn't know to clean comp? If you guys would simply scroll up, I've already said its clean.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I saw this a bit back when I worked for a now defunked video card manufacturer. If you open up the side of your computer, point something like a box fan at it and that seems to fix the issue then there is likely an issue with the card itself. It could be something as simple as the thermal fixative not making good contact or it could be something else. If you can exchange the card, do it. If you can't, try to get an RMA from the card manufacturer. Third option is to keep the fan pointed into your case while you play.
Reply Quote
when im playing battlefield 3, i always have my fan at 85% fan speed, a cool GPU = a smoother game, and since ur GPU is quite low end... Turn your GPU (graphics processing unit, some people dont know!) fan speeds UP!!!!
Reply Quote
Can you list your computer's specs? There's a good chance that your power supply can't actually handle your computer while it's running as hard as it can.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
You could reseat your GPU's heatsink, since if you made sure to take the cover OFF the heatsink and blew all the dust out of it that way instead with the cover on, it wouldn't overheat. Just blowing air into the card and seeing dust come out and saying oh its clean does not make it clean. Also, todays GPUs don't overheat unless 1. The fan isn't working 2. What I described above or 3. you have your side, top, and back fan blocked by a wall or other object. Now go take care of your GPU please.

<--- 560 Ti @ 100% usage does not go above 80C and my room's ambient is pretty much... 80F
Reply Quote
87 Dwarf Priest
Since you have cleaned the case and fans already, I have a few more tips.

Make sure the case is in an "open area", as in, ensure that there is enough space for the computer to properly circulate the air into and out of the case. Take the front panel off the computer as well, dust likes to accumulate there.

Also, open the case, turn the machine on and watch all the fans, notably the CPU and GPU fans to ensure they are functioning. If not, then that will certainly raise the temperatures considerably and possibly damage the components.

Google your particular video card with "overheating", maybe it's a common issue, and there is a fix for it. Possibly even roll back your video or system drivers.
Edited by MadMurdock#1408 on 5/15/2012 3:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]