Diablo® III

How do weapons work?

Just starting out I have no clue how weapons affect my spells, do higher DPS weapons no mater what they are increase my damage? Do weapons with enchants like fire damage do anything? It'd be nice to know because I haven't noticed yet :P
Reply Quote
Your spell damage is always based off your weapon damage (and modifiers): higher weapon damage = harder hitting spells. Your cast speed is determined by your weapon speed: faster weapon = faster casting. The two combine together to form weapon dps and your dps. Generally, faster weapons will have more dps, but will burn through AP quicker and won't be as efficient. Faster weapons will also allow signatures to be cast more quickly, which will mean more AP regen when you rune for it.

If you're using big single casts, like arcane orb or meteor, slower weapons will usually be better (assuming same item level). Faster weapons will be good for signature spam and things like ray of frost glyphed for AP reduction.

Simple examples:

Assume 2 weapons:
Weapon A has 100 damage with 1.0 attacks per second, AKA 100 dps.
Weapon B has 80 damage with 1.5 attacks per second, AKA 120 dps.

For meteor (200% weapon damage and 78% dot damage over 3 seconds):
Weapon A does 200 damage as AoE with an additional 78 over 3 seconds.
Weapon B does 160 damage as AoE with an additional 62 over 3 seconds.

Weapon A is the clear winner, as it does more damage for the same cost.

For ray of frost (215% weapon damage):
Over 2 seconds:
Weapon A hits 2 times for 215*2= 430 damage at a cost of 40 AP (+20 regen, actual cost 20 AP)
Weapon B hits 3 times for 172*3= 516 damage at a cost of 60 AP (+20 regen, actual cost 40 AP)

Weapon B does more dps, but consumes more AP.

Personally, I'm going with slower weapons whenever I have a choice, but you should almost always pick the higher level item with the better stats.
Reply Quote
I had pretty much already figured this out, but this is very good info for all the other wizards out there.
Reply Quote
Can someone please expand on how modifiers work?

If I have a weapon that does +10 fire damage, will my ray of frost do % damage plus that 10 first damage per pick?
Reply Quote
Go by the weapon's damage and not DPS.

Since two handers have slower attack speeds they tend to have a higher attack.

Also wands look stupid.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Warlock
You also have to consider that wielding a 2H'er can lead to loss of hard stats in comparison to dual wielding.

Wands are FABULOUS!
Edited by Everspace#1140 on 5/15/2012 11:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
So I'm better off casting spells through my magic bow, than my starter wand... WTF were they thinking!?!?!?
Reply Quote
I don't think the original question was answered. If the weapon has some +fire (or other elemental damage) does it add directly to spells too?

I know +damage from rings and offhand do, and just assumed +fire, etc from weapons did too, but I've never tested that.
Reply Quote
I believe it does, though I think the +fire damage is transmuted to the spells damage type. I know my life steal of 1% is transfered...

HKStu...why would a wand be better? It's magic, who knows how it works :)

My vision is that the magic is channeled through whatever the caster is holding, taking on some of the properties of what is in their hand...hold nothing and you don't get much. Hold an awesome magic sword, and it's better.

Latter on wands and wizard items have nice wizard-centric bonuses (and comparable DPS) to make me chose them over swords and bows.
Reply Quote

For ray of frost (215% weapon damage):
Over 2 seconds:
Weapon A hits 2 times for 215*2= 430 damage at a cost of 40 AP (+20 regen, actual cost 20 AP)
Weapon B hits 3 times for 172*3= 516 damage at a cost of 60 AP (+20 regen, actual cost 40 AP)

Weapon B does more dps, but consumes more AP.

Very wrong. The weapon B in your example deals 20% more DPS (using weapons different in dps in an example is a very stupid thing to do btw.) so it is already 20% better. Now add 20% damage to your weapon A in the ray of frost example -> it also deals 516 damage. Regardless of the attackspeed, RoF always deals the same DPS but costs more AP.
Reply Quote

Very wrong. The weapon B in your example deals 20% more DPS (using weapons different in dps in an example is a very stupid thing to do btw.) so it is already 20% better. Now add 20% damage to your weapon A in the ray of frost example -> it also deals 516 damage. Regardless of the attackspeed, RoF always deals the same DPS but costs more AP.

Actually it's very right. The point of the comparison wasn't 2 equal weapons, it was to show that weapon DPS isn't the only stat on a weapon that matters. Weapon A is better if you're using big casts, but weapon B can use it's DPS with RoF.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]