Diablo® III

Why am I being locked out of single player???

(Locked)

90 Night Elf Druid
You agreed to the TOS and EULA which stipulate that downtime may be necessary. The box listed the system requirements, which includes internet. Don't complain: you consented to all of this. Also included in the EULA is Blizzard's right to take one of your kidneys at a later date of their choosing. I've already received an email that they have selected my left kidney and want me to fly to China to "give good lfet kidney to BlizzCompnay". I mean, the email was pretty unintelligible and it went into my spam box, but I'm pretty sure its from Blizzard.
Except that is a 20k dollar purchase as opposed to a video game.

Your analogies suck.
So if you bought a new car and it was hailing outside you would blame someone and ask everyone why you're being punished and can't drive your new car?

Your definition of punishment is just absurd. You're acting like they're singling out you and it's not an issue occurring for alot of people.
The fact that you didn't research that Diablo3 is online only before buying it, then went and complained about that very fact discredits anything you try and argue with blizzard.

The thing is, you can drive the car in a hailstorm. Its not recommended, but it's not like the car just stops working because its hailing. Get what I mean?
85 Human Death Knight
It's not like the game won't be there once this all blows over. No one is getting screwed over here really. It's not like you paid $60 to play today and today only :/
It makes perfect sense for multiplayer to be online in a controlled environment. It DOESN'T make sense for single player to be. There's absolutely no reason except for greed (Auction House) or unnecessary DRM.

I give it about 2-3 weeks before someone backward engineers this and provides servers you can connect to with some modifications to your hosts file that don't go down. Unfortunately the way this game is designed your items, stats etc are stored on the server. There is no local copy.

I hope the outrage from this continues to reflect the poor business decision made in requiring an internet connection to even play.
this pleases mundo
05/15/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Kmeadows
this pleases mundo

Mundo goes where he pleases.
I don't have a problem with paying $60 or with not playing today. It just boggles the mind how a game can be in development for so long and not be ready on its launch date.
So if you bought a new car and it was hailing outside you would blame someone and ask everyone why you're being punished and can't drive your new car?

Your definition of punishment is just absurd. You're acting like they're singling out you and it's not an issue occurring for alot of people.
The fact that you didn't research that Diablo3 is online only before buying it, then went and complained about that very fact discredits anything you try and argue with blizzard.

It be like if I bought the new car dealer said you cant take it home yet we need to wax it come pick it up tommrow. I go home I come back the next day and a Hail storm has hit and destroyed the out side of the car. Dealer hands me the keys and says see yea your car your damage your problem.

It would be more like the dealer says "You need to wait longer sorry, so we can fix it."

...which is what you'd expect?
Hmmmm... does this mean I should start my submission for hire at Blizzard, or should I wait until after the first wave of layoffs?
get over it. Nothing is going to change it. This is how it is. Either accept it or move on. Save yourself the stress
67 Blood Elf Paladin
05/15/2012 02:28 PMPosted by AsherElias
Usually they require an internet connection to register, I understand that. And I provided the internet connection, mine is working. Why am I being punished when I just want to play single player only?

You are not being punished. This wasn't a decision on their part that they decided over night. It was known ages ago that there would be no offline play available.

Not to be harsh, but if you didn't, can't, and won't accept that, then D3 isn't for you.
05/15/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Ginntonic
[quote]So if you bought a new car and it was hailing outside you would blame someone and ask everyone why you're being punished and can't drive your new car?

More like bought a car... and the engine is missing!
05/15/2012 03:14 PMPosted by Lyosha
I don't have a problem with paying $60 or with not playing today. It just boggles the mind how a game can be in development for so long and not be ready on its launch date.

You can be prepared for the end of the world to happen...but are you really prepared?
05/15/2012 03:16 PMPosted by Theenternet

You can be prepared for the end of the world to happen...but are you really prepared?

No, because nobody every experienced the end of the world. These are developers who have experienced the launch of other games, and should know how networks work by now.
66 Blood Elf Paladin
We're required to play it online for many reasons I'm sure. But for those that played the first two Diablo games, I'm sure you hated it when people hacked the !@#$ out of their characters and could walk faster than you could run with 40 walk/run speed small charms :/

So much hacking and so many ways people could exploit a hole in the code that allowed them to alter stats and even create their own equipment... Being able to play a character in single player mode required they locally store that character's information on your computer. They're not going to program the game in a way that separates the two entirely. That would take way too much time and money to make it worth it (it'd be like programming half the game a second time in a completely different way).

All the hacking, botting, and duping ruined it. So don't be mad at Blizzard, be mad at the stooges that made them make the decision to take out single player mode.

Nicely said sir, but really they still have single player campaign all the servers are for is to require you to have a VALID CD Key to be able to play and install. With people hacking games as of late they nipped it in the butt. So smart move blizzard on keeping a insurance on your game, best way to stop piracy seriously. Be on the look out for alot of other companies to do this as well, because it protects their investments to make sure the game is being purchased to play.
Instead of requiring to be on the server all the time, it should have been made so the cd key information is sent to the server to be validated before playing the game. This way the servers wouldn't get packed full of solo players and multiplayers. Save the server space for people who are actually playing online. Tie an account to a cd key, the cd key is stored on their server, nobody else can use it, fake cd keys wouldn't work because they cant be registered, problem solved. All it takes is a quick ping of your key at the main screen before being unlocked.
05/15/2012 03:19 PMPosted by Lyosha

No, because nobody every experienced the end of the world. These are developers who have experienced the launch of other games, and should know how networks work by now.

Nobody ever experienced a D3 launch, either. D3 launch is different from WoW/is different from other online game launches. 10+ years of fans. Not even close.
05/15/2012 03:07 PMPosted by Grimes
If you people actually read up on the game before buying it, you would know this was going to happen. Reading comprehension for the win. Seriously though, this kind of system is becoming the standard for the industry. Better get used to it.

And everyone always reads the EULA as well right? Locking out the single player portion is just a vain attempt at preventing piracy, and once again the legit customers suffer.

I agree, this is becoming the norm, but come on, this is blizzard. They should have more experience on this type of setup than almost any one else in the industry. The real question is, how on earth were they not prepared for this? What was so fundamentally wrong with the system that the beta did not catch? And why did they have to take the whole thing down to address it? I was on this morning with no issues.

Nobody ever experienced a D3 launch, either. D3 launch is different from WoW/is different from other online game launches. 10+ years of fans. Not even close.

When you are talking about a network exclusive game, its the network that determines a successful launch. You can launch the actual game with bugs, but if the network doesn't work, nothing works. Doesn't matter what game it is. The only time the network doesn't matter is for offline play, which this game doesn't have.
Edited by Lyosha#1450 on 5/15/2012 3:42 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]