Diablo® III

Give us Diablo 3 (Linux)

YES
please please please
I would love to be able to play this in linux
I know there are a few distros out there
but I say make it a debian/ubuntu/mint file type since theyre all the same
i know that ignore a lot of distros but having it work on debian/ubuntu/mint would cover a majority of linux users anyway
Reply Quote
...and if they come out with a Debian version, the RedHat kids will cry. And when it comes out on RedHat, the Slackware kids will cry. And when the Slackware version comes out, the FreeBSD kids will cry.

Windows and OS X, those are your options.
Reply Quote
+1
Wait its a Mac.. Like linux, but supported!
Linux users should post age next to +1 (I bet they're all over 50)
Reply Quote
+1 and I'm 27, not that age should make any difference.
Reply Quote
+1 And its wrong to say that linux is all over 50 iam 22 so that makes 2/2 <50. How long did it took to play WoW in linux?
Reply Quote
+1 from germany

SC II and Diablo are the only reasons there is still Win on my computer.... and i hate it
Edited by Ravenheart#2531 on 5/23/2012 5:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
...and if they come out with a Debian version, the RedHat kids will cry. And when it comes out on RedHat, the Slackware kids will cry. And when the Slackware version comes out, the FreeBSD kids will cry.

Windows and OS X, those are your options.

Exactly, just the kids who think it's cool to say they run linux. Meanwhile the real users will just tinker a little bit till it works. Even patch up any problems themselves if they cant manage, that's the glory of open-source.

I'm actually surprised they didn't just build it using openGL instead of directX. I mean openGL is already supported on mac, linux as well as windows, whereas directX is owned purely by Microsoft, so it doesn't work on the other two. Cross-platform compatibility is central to so many things these days. Would iPods be so popular if they didn't work on windows? How about your phone, if you had to buy a dell, or gateway computer to use it, would you even bother buying it?

I cant understand why when it comes to graphic libraries everyone is stuck in the stone age with proprietary sorta stuff. Not like it's gonna force blizz to reveal the source of their servers or anything. There's tons of closed source programs out there for linux already, just means you can't fix any problems to encounter on your own.

They talked a lot about porting this game to a console as well. Using direct X just gives them more work it seems. Sure, it'd work for the xbox, but getting it on Wii or the PS3 will require a lot more work. OpenGL is supported on the PS3 and Wii already (as a wrapper for its native API). Sure, directX is better maintained on windows right now, but that's purely because of it's vendor support. If a large scale game like this where to start mixing it up, graphic card vendors would no doubt step up their game and start supporting it more. Imagine games being as compatible as your phone. Running libraries that are not proprietary, so any system can read it and run it natively with minimal extra work done by the creators.

Also, don't tell me D3 wouldn't be the game it is now had it used openGL. It uses DX9, openGL is pretty much up to par with DX11. Only place it's still used in is games for windows.
Edited by TheBigCheese#1541 on 5/23/2012 6:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
+1

There are just a few games forcing me to have a dual boot nowadays, this would be a major one less...
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
This section of the forum is for comments/suggestions for the Diablo 3 Website, not suggestions for the actual game. This post probably belongs in the General Forum.
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
40 Goblin Hunter
05/21/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Beargod
and if they come out with a Debian version, the RedHat kids will cry. And when it comes out on RedHat, the Slackware kids will cry. And when the Slackware version comes out, the FreeBSD kids will cry.

This has to be a joke.

Programs run on linux, not Debian, not RedHat(which is an enterprise linux so I have no idea why you're talking about it), and FreeBSD isn't even linux so I don't think you know what you're talking about.
Reply Quote
+1

PLEASE!
Edited by blakeaholics#1986 on 5/27/2012 12:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
+1
Reply Quote
A big +1 here. I'm tired of remaining tethered to Microsoft's inferior products for the few games I play. One more ported to Linux means one less I have to have this bloatware on my computer for.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]