Diablo® III

Why is Diablo 3 Online only?

85 Gnome Rogue
I swear I'm not trying to troll here, I'm just curious as to why Its online only. I know Some of it has to do with pirating and the Real money Auction house but is there any other motives I'm missing?

Edit: God, You people reply fast.

Now that everyone is through listing their assumptions, yes piracy is a small reason why this decision was made.

The main reason that drove the decision was to prevent hacks/bots/dupes on Diablo 3. The aforementioned was arguably the #1 complaint about Diablo 2, and Blizzard set out, from square one, to fix that complaint. The first, and probably largest step to securing the servers from these issues was by hiding the server architecture.

Diablo is a client/server based game, like many games today, where a client interfaces with a server to receive the information that it needs for the content of the game. In order to create an offline functionality, they'd have to reproduce, 1-to-1, their server architecture in the game's install files, essentially handing over the blueprints to their security systems to all of the hackers in the world. Obviously, given this information, it would only be a matter of time before the hackers broke the securities and, once again, flooded the land of Sanctuary with duplicated items, hacked items, and spam bots/run bots/mf bots.

All that being said, I hope you and anyone else reading this can see that Online-Only is a good decision, and is not designed as some underhanded scheme to make the paying customers suffer.

Thanks for the well thought out answer!
Edited by Fish#1581 on 5/15/2012 12:46 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Mainly piracy.
Reply Quote
^^^ lol

Apparently they don't teach sentence structure in skool anymore.
Reply Quote
  • Centralized Chacacters
  • Social networking
  • Achievement based play
  • Patch Managment
  • Consumer protechtion
  • just to name a few...
    Reply Quote
    Auction House is a big one too.
    Reply Quote
    yea its mostly so people cant pirate the single player content.

It came down to screwing over all of their loyal paying customers vs generating a miniscule amount of revenue from whatever small sliver of pirates there are that only want to play D3 for the single player.
    Edited by DrunkBatman#1921 on 5/15/2012 12:38 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    85 Goblin Hunter
    They don't want people stealing monies from the RMAH. Also, they want all your monies.

You think I kid, but I do not.
    Reply Quote
    91 Draenei Paladin
    05/15/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Zac
    Mainly piracy.

LOL

It's mainly because of the RMAH.
    Reply Quote
    It's 2012.
    Reply Quote
    To piss everyone off, obviously.

/sarcasm
    Reply Quote
    Read the box. before you buy.
    Reply Quote
    The auction house.
    Reply Quote
    I don't know why people don't know all this information already the game has been in the making for 6 years... Were you just born or something...
    Reply Quote
    Piracy, mainly. At least that's what I get out of it.
    Reply Quote
    05/15/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Sync
  • Centralized Chacacters
  • Social networking
  • Achievement based play
  • Patch Managment
  • Consumer protechtion
  • just to name a few...

I'd agree to most of those. However an opt out, or offline mode still wouldn't have hurt them at all. It would have completely avoided this mess today.
    Reply Quote
    auction house is the main reason.
    Reply Quote
    05/15/2012 12:33 PMPosted by Zac
    Mainly piracy.

And concerns regarding hacks and dupes coupled with the RMAH.

But really, the #1 reason
    Because Blizz doesn't really like you. Right now, they are all playing pin the power cord in the server, while drunk, swimming in the wads of cash you poor saps fed them.
    Reply Quote
    05/15/2012 12:37 PMPosted by Phoenix
    It's 2012.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]