Diablo® III

Diablo 3 Black Screen When Clicking Play

Hey Guys,

When I try to load diablo 3 on my mac I get a black screen and just a mouse shows nothing happens.

I've been trying to figure this out but all the threads from here aren't available.

What can I do to play?

I have a mac with a GMA X3100 graphics card thats unsupported but can i still somehow play?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey Guys,

When I try to load diablo 3 on my mac I get a black screen and just a mouse shows nothing happens.

I've been trying to figure this out but all the threads from here aren't available.

What can I do to play?

I have a mac with a GMA X3100 graphics card thats unsupported but can i still somehow play?

This is why you are getting the blackscreen. This chipset is not supported for D3.

This is small step for me, but big step for humanity. Or something like that...
Reply Quote
So is there any way around it or do I just need a new computer?

Is there anything I can do to play?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Unfortunately not. There has been some reports of users getting unsupported cards to work but doing so may cause games to crash or other issues, which is why this chipset is on the unsupported list.

This is small step for me, but big step for humanity. Or something like that...
Reply Quote
Thanks a lot for your help Mackhan is there any work around you can help me with.

I found this for pc but not for mac:

Inside the folder libraries/documents/diablo III there is a file named "d3prefs.txt". Open it. (There are other places it could be. For example, C:\Users\*YOUR USERNAME*\Documents\Diablo III ... just use Windows search to find d3prefs.txt )

Change:
- DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" (from 0 to 1)
- HardwareClass "1" (from 0 to 1)

Where would this file here be located on a mac:

Reference: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903520596
Reply Quote
If anyone could share a work around for this on a mac I'd really appreciate it!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
Unfortunately, This did not work for me. But Thank You for posting it. I just tried to launch Diablo III and I get a blank screen and a blank error that I cannot even select. I tried the suggestion you found bigPToronto and was crossing my fingers... But it still failed each time. =(

This happened to me with Sims 3 as well. It is nearly impossible to fix it due to the problem being the graphics card unless they somehow figure out how to make old cards compatible. I guess back to WoW. I don't feel like replacing something that still works for D3 when so many people that have working cards are still having troubles. Such a disappointment.

I hope you are able to figure out where that is on a mac and that it works. Good Luck Hun!
Reply Quote
I have the same problem
NVidia Quadro 1000
Reply Quote
@bigPToronto: changing that file works. on a mac it's in home/library/application support/blizzard/diablo 3. I'm running snow leopard and then game ran after I changed those.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
05/15/2012 05:01 AMPosted by bigPToronto
If anyone could share a work around for this on a mac I'd really appreciate it!!!

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5051975375
Reply Quote
black screen nvidia geforce gt 240
Reply Quote
Hey Guys,

Having the same problem with launching D3. Just a black screen appears. I'm pretty certain it's the video card. It clocks at 400 but it needs to clock at 650 or something like that to run on min requ.

Always Double Check the System Requirements

:(
Reply Quote
13 Draenei Paladin
worked for me too:) @ saxmachine
Edited by Catrione on 5/15/2012 7:41 PM PDT
Reply Quote
@saxmachinejo i tried what u said but blizzard didnt come up when i went to account support do u know why
Reply Quote
if you reset your initial settings after pushing play it works, but it is still quite annoying. Blizzard should fix this soon.
Reply Quote
how do u get to inital settings?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
90 Draenei Mage
05/15/2012 08:36 PMPosted by JHOOPSTR09
how do u get to inital settings?

1) Got to Diablo 3 folder

2) Open D3 Launcher

3) Look in the Options menu at the top of the screen

4) Select "Reset Game Preferences"

You may then have to reconfigure some stuff.

Then quit and do the d3prefs file change.

You may need to wait 5 minutes before doing so to make sure Agent isn't running to revert the changes you make.
Reply Quote
Im getting the same issue I have NVIDIA GTS 240 any help ???
Reply Quote
I have the same problem with the black screen startup.

Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

any ideas on how to fix this??

this worked for me found it on a linked form

There is a workaround that has worked for me concerning unsupported video cards on the Mac that I worked out from the info for the PC workaround (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903520596#1)

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to work around a non supported graphics card.

I found the work around below but where is the D3Prefs.txt file on a mac? When I look in the folder below its empty?

On the Mac:
1. You're going to have to show hidden files/folders, I used Onyx.
2. Go to your home directory (i.e. your name), then find the grayed out folder Library (it's normally hidden).
3. Traverse to Application Support > Blizzard > Diablo III
4. Open D3Prefs.txt with your text editor and follow the same steps as the PC stuff:
Change:
- DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" (from 0 to 1)
- HardwareClass "1" (from 0 to 1)
Save the file and close it.
Edited by TheRedDragon#1962 on 5/16/2012 10:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I have the same I problem, I downloaded onyx but I have no idea how to use it, any suggestions on how to use it to find the hidden folder?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]