Diablo® III

Language Settings Help! Language unchangeable

Let me explain my situation.

Due to my personal computer being a piece of crap, I go to the public pc rooms here in Korea. They all have D3 installed, but when i go to the settings to change the client language, the drop down box where you can change the language is unclickable.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply Quote
Right now, for some reason Blizzard has released the game with language locks according to the region. This means that people from mainland China have to play in Traditional Chinese which they do not understand because they know how to read in Simplified, not Traditional. People from Hong Kong have to play in Traditional Chinese even though most of them can't understand or read. And me, as a foreigner in Taiwan, have to play in Traditional Chinese even though I cannot read at all. When I downloaded an English client, it gives an error:

The client does not match the account's native language.
Please use the game's original client. (Error_84)

So I think you'll be able to change your situation when Blizzard decides to answer all of our language issues in Asia.
Reply Quote
I have the same issue (foreigner living in Korea for several years), and I genuinely feel fooled by Blizzard... unfortunately this is a recurrent issue: the exact same thing happened at the time I bought Starcraft 2 here in Korea.

As for the reasons about language locking, I can only see financial ones. In Korea the online price for the game is 55 000 wons (50$), probably cheaper than in the US or Europe. So because I have paid the game cheaper than in my native country, Blizzard considers I have not "played by the rules", and punishes me by giving me an incomprehensible game.

These few words express I hope, how this builds up resentment against Blizzard in the mind of the victims of such practice. Not only do I feel I have lost 55K wons, but I feel like I am being treated with little respect. I should add there that the interface that i was presented in Bnet to buy the game was 100% in English. At no times was I made aware that the client language would not be the same.

I would appreciate very much a solution from Blizzard on this, aside from the one I was given for SC2: "Please buy a license of the game on the European battlenet".
Edited by Citan#2678 on 5/16/2012 12:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tipped the blog Kotaku about this, and they wrote an article.
http://kotaku.com/5910699/when-diablo-iii-doesnt-speak-your-language
Hope this raises a bit public awareness of our situation
Edited by sunberry#2789 on 5/16/2012 4:00 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Saw the article a minute ago, thank you! congrats on your instant rise to kotaku fame.

Front page, although in related. 4.5k hits so far. Something tells me this issue is 90% likely to get fixed if the views keep spiking like this.
We need a proper celebration for you.

1 hour later, 9k mark.
Edited by NeonTurtles#2974 on 5/16/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hopefully someone can get some movement on this. An upgrade option would be more than fine and doesn't seem like it'd be impossible to provide.
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 12:56 AMPosted by T0Die4
bumping this so they will finally take notice

they already have according to the rep I spoke to, but its probably buried under the US errors.
Reply Quote
Did Blizzard say anything about it? like if they are working on it or if they won`t change it at all?
I bought the Korean version of the game because that was the only one available for the digital download here. And because they said that we could change the region and the language of the game. Its really unfortunate that I can`t follow the plot of the game..
Edited by Kurum1n#3373 on 5/17/2012 3:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Bump... I would like to change the language settings as well.

Bear in mind that I was not able to buy the digital version (which allowed you to choose the language) because I could not use my credit card for some reason. Every time I tried to choose change the billing address, the page refreshed and change my type of card and billing address country. So I had no option but to buy the game at a retail store which apparently only works in Korean.
Edited by Nanbu#1443 on 5/17/2012 3:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Im in Korea and playing diablo 3 .and i cant read the and understand what Decard is talking about hmmmm..please add English language in the Korean version .
Reply Quote
05/17/2012 02:44 AMPosted by NeonTurtles
bumping this so they will finally take notice

they already have according to the rep I spoke to, but its probably buried under the US errors.

at least they know about the issue now.
Reply Quote
Bump...since it looks like there has been no official response on this.
As far as I have checked the client seems to check the log-in IP of the client,
and then forces you to the native language client of that country.
So if you are located in China you can only play in Chinese, if you are in Korea you can only play in Korea etc...
(Just cannot imagine what happens in cases of travel or business trips to some of the according countries. Have to change the client language every time?)
I cannot understand the reasoning behind this decision, this feels like a very stupid mistake.
Why should the user not be able to choose a language setting? Hope that this issue will be addressed and fixed.
Edited by natjeon#3617 on 5/17/2012 2:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Double that..
Reply Quote

No, I don't think so, I think the registration codes on the boxes are directly locked in the languages.
Reply Quote

No, I don't think so, I think the registration codes on the boxes are directly locked in the languages.

Yea im very sure of that, with my friend's account i can play in english...
Reply Quote
I don't understand why it's taking Blizzard so long to fix this.

Come on, guys...
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
Is there a fix yet for this? I'm currently in Korea as well and could only purchase the Korean version of D3 and I cannot change language.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]