Diablo® III

"Updating Setup File" alternative solution

Well, this thread is to help those who are still having this issue.

i tried and googled all sorts of ways to fix this endless loop of "updating Setup file" & "launching Blizzard Launcher" but none of the fixes fixed it for me until i came across this link, http://www.gamefront.com/files/21699449

copy the whole battle.net file over the existing file in your C:/Programdata/Battle.net
after that, run your setup again and you should finally be able to get to the launcher.
those who couldn't fix the issue with all the above solutions can consider trying it out.

lastly, thanks for the upload whoever you are!

These are the other fixes just in case :)

Fix #1

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down and find “Secondary Logon”

Right Click > Properties

Change it from ‘Disabled’ to ‘Automatic’

Run your Diablo 3 setup as administrator and it should quickly go through Updating Setup Files and bring you to an install screen. Congratulations, your game now (hopefully) works! If this solved your issue, spread it around.

Fix #2

Right click on the Diablo 3 setup file you downloaded via the Blizzard Downloader

Select Properties > Compatibility > Check Run this in Compatibility Mode for… > Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) (Note: Does not work on Vista.)

Right Click the Icon, Run as Administrator.

Fix #3

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder.

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net Cache folder.

Run the Downloader again, as administrator, and see if it gets past the “Updating Setup Files” window. If not, see Fix #1.

Fix #4

Try and find the agent application in the battle.net folder (for example C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\battle.net\Agent). Start the agent application manually and after that start Diablo III setup file in your Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer folder. Good luck!

Fix #4a – Clar

1. Run the diablo insall thing… let it get stuck.
2. Close it, and ctrl+alt+delete and end the “Agent” process.
3. Go to C/programdata/battle.net/agent and run the “Agent” executable
4. Run the diablo install thing
5. WAIT! it will get stuck for a min or so and then work
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
i tried all the above including your new alternative fix and none of them worked for me. ty for the info.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:31 PMPosted by Ghostfacex
i tried all the above including your new alternative fix and none of them worked for me. ty for the info.

That's a bummer, will look out and update if there's any new fixes :)

EDIT: anyways, i read somewhere someone got on windows on safe mode and it started updating
Edited by aphr0#1413 on 5/15/2012 12:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This worked to get the launcher up, but then I got an "encrypted error" message and it shut back down.

:::EDIT::: Actually, when I went and launched the updater from the original desktop file rather than the battle.net folder, it works!!! Thank you!!!
Edited by ZappaPants#1196 on 5/15/2012 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:45 PMPosted by ZappaPants
This worked to get the launcher up, but then I got an "encrypted error" message and it shut back down.

u need to run your own setup file from either your online download or disk, not the one in the Battle.Net/Setup

EDIT: no problem, glad was of some help :)
Edited by aphr0#1413 on 5/15/2012 12:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
It seems to have worked for me so far. It brought the launcher up and the download bar IS currently moving.
Reply Quote
I have two computers (same kind) that had this problem. i fixed one using Task Manager thingy, but the other computer wont allow Task Manager to open. Anyone know how to fix that?
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:58 PMPosted by LawGivah
I have two computers (same kind) that had this problem. i fixed one using Task Manager thingy, but the other computer wont allow Task Manager to open. Anyone know how to fix that?

u mean ctrl+alt+del doesn't open up task manager?
Reply Quote
That was the fix that worked for me, found it in a different thread.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I have tried everything but the ctrl+alt+del. it will not come up.

runnin xp pro

So far nothin has worked
Reply Quote
I can now CONFIRM that this works. However i also had to go to control panel >Network + Internet > Internet Options > LAN Settings > Uncheck Automatically Detect Settings.

Thank you very much for this!
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 01:03 PMPosted by aphr0
u mean ctrl+alt+del doesn't open up task manager?

Nope. It does on the one that i fixed, But CTRL+ALT+DELETE doesn't open anything neither does right clicking "Task Manager"
Reply Quote
Try downloading process explorer from the Microsoft website. It is superior to the task manager anyways.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Well, this thread is to help those who are still having this issue.

i tried and googled all sorts of ways to fix this endless loop of "updating Setup file" & "launching Blizzard Launcher" but none of the fixes fixed it for me until i came across this link, http://www.gamefront.com/files/21699449

copy the whole battle.net file over the existing file in your C:/Programdata/Battle.net
after that, run your setup again and you should finally be able to get to the launcher.
those who couldn't fix the issue with all the above solutions can consider trying it out.

lastly, thanks for the upload whoever you are!

These are the other fixes just in case :)

Fix #1

Go to Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services

Scroll down and find “Secondary Logon”

Right Click > Properties

Change it from ‘Disabled’ to ‘Automatic’

Run your Diablo 3 setup as administrator and it should quickly go through Updating Setup Files and bring you to an install screen. Congratulations, your game now (hopefully) works! If this solved your issue, spread it around.

Fix #2

Right click on the Diablo 3 setup file you downloaded via the Blizzard Downloader

Select Properties > Compatibility > Check Run this in Compatibility Mode for… > Choose Windows XP (Service Pack 3) (Note: Does not work on Vista.)

Right Click the Icon, Run as Administrator.

Fix #3

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Battle.net folder.

Delete your C:\ProgramData\Blizzard Entertainment\Battle.net Cache folder.

Run the Downloader again, as administrator, and see if it gets past the “Updating Setup Files” window. If not, see Fix #1.

Fix #4

Try and find the agent application in the battle.net folder (for example C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\battle.net\Agent). Start the agent application manually and after that start Diablo III setup file in your Diablo-III-8370-enGB-Installer folder. Good luck!

Fix #4a – Clar

1. Run the diablo insall thing… let it get stuck.
2. Close it, and ctrl+alt+delete and end the “Agent” process.
3. Go to C/programdata/battle.net/agent and run the “Agent” executable
4. Run the diablo install thing
5. WAIT! it will get stuck for a min or so and then work

Fix #1 worked for me! Thank You very much! I opened a ticket 3 days ago and have not received ANY help! You saved me so much time now!
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Xhen
Try downloading process explorer from the Microsoft website. It is superior to the task manager anyways.

hmm... I downloaded it but im not quite sure what im doing with it.
Reply Quote
You only need it to end the agent process in this case. You are essentially using it as a replacement task manager since it can do everything task manager can and more.
Reply Quote
With the program, where do i go to end the process?
Reply Quote
THX!
Fix #1 worked in my case :D im so happy it took me whole day to run instalation ^^
Reply Quote
The process is called Agent.Exe on my system. If you are having trouble finding it make sure you have "show processes from all users" checked under view.
Reply Quote
Hmm... I have "show processes from all users" checked but agent isn't appearing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]