Diablo® III

Mac runs like trash....

What are people using for their mac settings game settings?

My 17in unibody 8gb i7 runs like total A$$, I also re-installed Lion fresh last week and nothing is installed basically basic OSX because I had this issue during the beta.

I configured my profile for High Performance within OSX.

What are people using for mac settings to make it faster?
Reply Quote
Processor 2.53 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.3 (11D50b)
Hard Drive SSD 256GB
Screen size 17 Inch
Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 8 GB

I am getting around 20 fps, is that normal? I am also wondering the optimal setup for my macbook pro 17inch
Edited by Plutodarks#1524 on 5/15/2012 10:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Also having issues running the game. Low fps.

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3448

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Reply Quote
I too am experiencing choppy game-play. I have a:

MacBook (13-inch, Aluminum, Late 2008) - Technical Specifications: 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 3MB on-chip shared L2 cache running 1:1 with processor speed - NVIDIA GeForce 9400M graphics processor with 256MB of DDR3 SDRAM shared with main memory

I have my resolution at 1280x800 but have had to turn down every setting to low to make the game 'playable.' Even with this the game is still noticeably choppy. I bought the game because my computer meets what was said to be specification requirements. However the inability to render the game smoothly seriously detracts from its playability and my enjoyment of it. I am not in a position to upgrade my computer right now but can upgrade my RAM if that will do anything. My graphics card driver is up to date and therefore there is little I can do on my own.

Please release an update for Macs that enhances playability!
Reply Quote
I seem to have the same problems...i have a mid-2010 15in macbook pro with 2.53 i5 and geforce 330m...yet it is still ridic slow
Reply Quote
10 Draenei Priest
I'm pissed the F*** off! I formatted my drive and made a fresh OSX lion install 2 days ago. Made all the updates and my mac drive is basically empty besides osx and Diablo 3. Still it runs like crap. Reminds me of the Commodores 64 days. What the F*** is this Blizz! We paid you for this and you had 10 years to test this. I just can't described how i'm feeling. What will i have to do??? Answer this smiple question? I'm getting 11-12 FPS in default settings. 17-18 when i turn shadow off. Still non enjoyable. Should i buy a pc? Should YOU buy me a pc? Should we file a lawsuit against you and your false advertisement? Tell me?

Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP71.0039.B0E
SMC Version (system): 1.62f6
Serial Number (system): WQ019HJ0ATM
Hardware UUID: C2ABF3EA-A568-59FD-8E0A-6298BC7F8A12
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Reply Quote
What GPU are you using?

By the model identifier, it looks like you're running off a 13-inch MBP Early-2011.

If so, you're running off an Intel HD 3000 embedded GPU which is on the low end of supported.
Reply Quote
Hardware Overview:

Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.69f3
Serial Number (system): C2QFT109DMGG
Hardware UUID: 06E54C33-0317-55C6-85C6-50C02DC143EB
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Chipset Model: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x6741
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-C0170L-573
gMux Version: 1.9.23
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.573
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1680 x 1050
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Mac OS X version of D3 is absolutely horrid compared to a PC. Max fps I get is around 30-40fps with all settings at off/low. Input (specifically from a mouse) feels very laggy.

Cannot believe a AAA game company is pushing out a low quality product posing as high quality. Horrible.
Reply Quote
Gordawn had the same idea as me.

I have a 2009 17in macbook 2.93 core duo, 8GB, SSD, Nvidia 9400M 256mb and my home internet is so blazing fiber.

My fiancé has a 13in 2011 macbook with intel card and hers runs perfectly fine, so i know the internet isn't the problem.

I guess I'll be boot camping today

OOO btw I tried this on my Lenovo notebook as well and D3 won't even load so basically I have two systems that can't play D3.
Reply Quote
Has anyone tried it with Virtualbox or Bootcamp with say just Windows XP to see if it runs any faster on the same Mac hardware?
Reply Quote
85 Dwarf Paladin
i agree, its bad on my mac.
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
Game runs horribly in almost any kind of combat, or even opening barrels. Its unplayable... :(

Running on the latest MacBook Pro 15" (late-2011)

2.4 Ghz i7
4 GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Did they even play this on a mac before releasing it?? Even the intro videos wouldn't play without chop-chop-copping. (I had to skip them)

Edit: I have turned all the graphics to low/off as well.
Edited by Juliet#1301 on 5/15/2012 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Is it worth complaining about this though? Can Blizzard actually do anything at this point?

I'm not sure what the deal is. I wish I didn't have to have all my settings at 0 and low. Seems the game was built for those with strong gaming rigs because the shadows, graphics detail, and especially the realistic physics are what make the game exciting, fun, and immersive. I dislike that there are so few graphics options too. Just 'High', which is normal and what it's supposed to be, and 'Low' which doesn't even help all that much. Another thing that is a little odd to me is that in such a fixed perspective POV, there isn't all that much that needs to render so I don't understand why the game is so slow. In WoW, I can run normal graphics just fine and although those graphics kind of suck, consider the immense view distances and info that has to be loaded... I wouldn't mind compromising on some shadow and detail, but with physics down and lots of lag, it's really annoying to see bodies fly through the air all jerky and slow and struggle to fight bosses when clicking and attacks have a delayed response (and in general my character runs at about half-speed in most zones which is the worst).

The fix, it seems, would be to lower the polygon count or whatever else makes the game so detailed but that would kind of suck. I'm interested to know if the game runs more smoothly on Bootcamp and on PC's in general. All in all I'm kind of disappointed that Blizzard didn't make the game more playable on Macs. The low fps and slowness on my computer, even though it meets spec requirements, really detracts from my enjoyment of the game. I just hope Blizzard cares about how we feel now that the have our money...
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Shaman
Game runs horribly in almost any kind of combat, or even opening barrels. Its unplayable... :(

Running on the latest MacBook Pro 15" (late-2011)

2.4 Ghz i7
4 GB DDR3 Memory
AMD Radeon HD 6770M

Did they even play this on a mac before releasing it?? Even the intro videos wouldn't play without chop-chop-copping. (I had to skip them)

Lower your resolution to somewhere around 1280x720 or an equivalent, V-Sync off, and Shadows off. Leave everything else HIGH or off (Low FX), AA can be on or off.

keep Command-R toggled and hit apply to experiment.

Edit: I have turned all the graphics to low/off as well.
Edited by Boomstick#1858 on 5/16/2012 12:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Gave up running on my Mac, I have no started using my Lenovo Win7 notebook. I would like to see what a Boot Camp running win7 to see if it works fine. I only have 120GB SSD and really don't have the space to dual boot else I would test it myself.

I have noticed it seems to mainly be notebooks, my brothers 27 in Mac works perfect.
Reply Quote
I know lots of people are having problems, but it runs like a dream on my mac. I have a 27 inch iMac (mid 2011) with an AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2Gb running on Lion. I didn't do anything other than download and play. based on the list of supported video cards, I'd say the game was really designed for machines no more than 2 yrs old...but that's just my guess.
Reply Quote
I also don't understand why the HIGH END Mackbook Pro runs this game like s**t. This is totally unacceptable! Should we get a Mac Pro with 12 Cores? i am using a Macbook Pro 15" with i7, 8GB of RAM, and on SSD! Although our graphic cards are merely ATI 67X0M, it SHOULD NOT be getting a FPS of 10-20!!!!! I dare not say my spec is the topmost comparing with REAL gaming PCs, but for this game it's MORE THAN ENOUGH. I have tested this game on a PC with Core Duo E5400/4GB RAM/SATA HDD/GTX550...smooth like HELL! got FPS around 50-60 in average. If High End Macs can only run with low settings, I suggest that mac version of this game should be 50% off.
Reply Quote
21.5 inch, Mid 2011
2.8 GHz Intel core i7
4GB
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB
OS X Lion 10.7.4

...I'm now the owner of a $60 interactive slideshow.....putting the game into a window makes it a little better - or maybe i have myself convinced it makes it better because i so desperately want to enjoy this game.

What's insane is the overwhelming "We don't really give a f*ck" vibe i'm feeling from the folks at blizzard..
Reply Quote
05/19/2012 07:02 PMPosted by DiuLayLoMo
I also don't understand why the HIGH END Mackbook Pro runs this game like s**t. This is totally unacceptable! Should we get a Mac Pro with 12 Cores? i am using a Macbook Pro 15" with i7, 8GB of RAM, and on SSD! Although our graphic cards are merely ATI 67X0M, it SHOULD NOT be getting a FPS of 10-20!!!!! I dare not say my spec is the topmost comparing with REAL gaming PCs, but for this game it's MORE THAN ENOUGH. I have tested this game on a PC with Core Duo E5400/4GB RAM/SATA HDD/GTX550...smooth like HELL! got FPS around 50-60 in average. If High End Macs can only run with low settings, I suggest that mac version of this game should be 50% off.

Calm down. Barely any Macs can run it right now....
Reply Quote
working just fine for me on my mac. although i'm not trying to play on some 4 year old non-gaming macbook with a crappy 9400m gpu like an idiot.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]