Diablo® III

Another blizzard game, same problems :-/

Why dont you guys learn? people want to play your games yet you get surprised everytime you get a new game out that people acually want to play it. its very disapointing, that you dont get propper servers.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock
"Why don't you guys learn?"

Please go take a networking class...before you act like an authority on the subject. They couldn't have prepared flawlessly for this, they really couldn't have.

Edit: Yes I know Networking wouldn't give him the proper knowledge to understand the situation, but at least it will give him the general idea.
Edited by Tekwar#1252 on 5/15/2012 12:26 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Seriously, the game never starts out perfect of course but they ALWAYS fix the major problems so quit whining.
Reply Quote
the real problem is that blizzard has failed like this time and time again, they have had plenty of time to prepare, beta has been up for ages, there was even an open beta for stress testing. After some point you have to ask your self in a very srs manner how can you be so bad at what you do knowing what is going to happen in advance.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:27 PMPosted by Metallicat
Seriously, the game never starts out perfect of course but they ALWAYS fix the major problems so quit whining.

Starts? this game hasn't even started its been down longer then its been up, this is a failure.
Reply Quote
100 Undead Warlock
05/15/2012 12:21 PMPosted by Dennis
Why dont you guys learn? people want to play your games yet you get surprised everytime you get a new game out that people acually want to play it. its very disapointing, that you dont get propper servers.

I understand this always happens, but there are millions of problems that can persist, especialy with new hardware and software, that it is impossible to forsee all circumstances.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock
05/15/2012 12:32 PMPosted by Subcode
the real problem is that blizzard has failed like this time and time again, they have had plenty of time to prepare, beta has been up for ages, there was even an open beta for stress testing. After some point you have to ask your self in a very srs manner how can you be so bad at what you do knowing what is going to happen in advance.

You. Please see the first post I put in this thread. You do not understand some of the basic ideas of what is occurring with the servers.
Reply Quote
i saw it, and i bet you were in the stress test. so you should know that this happened 1 month ago
Reply Quote
This is why you NEVER required a login for a SINGLE player game. Then people can play their game even if it's without their friends at the time. It worked great for diablo2... why fix what wasn't broken.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Codepwned
This is why you NEVER required a login for a SINGLE player game. Then people can play their game even if it's without their friends at the time. It worked great for diablo2... why fix what wasn't broken.

Money.
Reply Quote
I cant even get the installation past 0%..... GJ Blizzard!
Reply Quote
Look.

Here's the basic story.

Yes, Blizzard should have had more servers and have anticipated this

However, they will fix it, hints the update.

You bought the game, might as well just chill and wait, no reason to get yourself worked up over something you can do nothing about.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 12:48 PMPosted by Codepwned

I'm gonna go out on a complete whim here but *cough* they did it to prevent torrenting *cough*

Which is kind of a lame excuse, just let people play offline I say.
Reply Quote
80 Blood Elf Warlock
05/15/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Subcode
i saw it, and i bet you were in the stress test. so you should know that this happened 1 month ago

Why does that even matter? I was aware this would happen FIVE months ago. You know why? Because if you understand the systems behind all of this, or at least the basic theoretical systems, you'll understand this is an unavoidable situation. The reason other games (I'll list an MMO, Rift, just so I can list a similar situation, although not game) can launch smoothly, its because they have a much lower player base.

Now, that earlier mentioned game, Rift, people might say "Oh, it had tons of players" but...at most, it had around 250k. Now, remember, there are...what, 3 million confirmed pre orders from outside stores? One million annual passes sold? This game is MASSIVE and if even HALF of the annual pass players alone logged in that's double WoW's initial sales data.

When you open up a server, and suddenly you just slam it with that many connections, it isn't going to only hit a hard processing limit, but things such as your ISP provider will hit bandwidth issues (Do you think you pay a lot for internet? Think about how much blizzard has to pay.)

This was expected because of the situation. Not because of Blizzard, not because of bad testing, but because people are like hamsters. In fact, does anyone have that Gif image that blizzard put up?

05/15/2012 12:56 PMPosted by MisterGatz

I'm gonna go out on a complete whim here but *cough* they did it to prevent torrenting *cough*

Which is kind of a lame excuse, just let people play offline I say.

It was also done to prevent item duping and so they could watch people farm data to make bots. Well, I hope so, if neither of these items was on the list...I'm concerned Blizzard...
Edited by Tekwar#1252 on 5/15/2012 1:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
im gonna go out on a limb and just imagine that the servers have acess to massive amounts of fiber seeing is its "BLIZZARD ACTIVISION" hosting WoW CoD 1-w.e they are on SC2 and other classics. a company profile with this kind of cash flow and experence should have this situated. seeing as they seemed to fix it in the OPEN BETA, WOW COD SC2 AND EVERY OTHER TITLE!!!!!
Reply Quote
Yes, there is always going to be the inevitable hitch, especially on Blizzard sized launches. But you can't really say that they couldn't have found ways of at least mitigating the damage. Queue, come to mind, or having the client be a bit smarter with fail states. (-cough- offline mode -cough-) Also, last night they acknowledged bringing up an extra server, which is something they should have foreseen doing earlier.

You mention the huge amount of pre-orders, but this information should be obvious to Blizzard. A large percentage of people who pre-order will try to play at the earliest possible opportunity. I'm sure Bliz has data on this from the disastrous SC2 launch, and their various WoW related launches. Bliz is probably SWIMMING in data about demand and server loads.

I'm not expecting perfect, I'm expecting adequate. This, on the other hand, is pure mediocrity.

As a tangent, and I'm not aiming this at anyone in particular, I don't understand the unremitting fans getting all nasty and defensive at people complaining about this. The complainers are more useful. The more internet nerd-rage there is, the more Blizzard is motivated to take extreme measures to fix things. Bliz knows that if enough people complain, it will make it out into the wild, and hurt, at least, their short term sales. This is good. Yes, many of the posts are annoying (iN uGLY cAPS, nONEtHElESS!!!11eleventy-one), but they are still useful. Also, there is plenty of room to be upset, many people took time off work or school, many people made plans around this release. The game was advertised to be available, and playable, today, so this is fine (if a bit naive). Obviously something is broke. So defending it 100% is about as dumb as the lion share of the complainers.

Blah blah. Sadly having the game not be up (after a good hour run) is very conductive to me posting very long, mostly pointless, comments on forums.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]