Diablo® III

Where is the D3Prefs.txt File on macs? *HELP*

There is a workaround that has worked for me concerning unsupported video cards on the Mac that I worked out from the info for the PC workaround (http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4903520596#1)

Hey Guys,

I'm trying to work around a non supported graphics card.

I found the work around below but where is the D3Prefs.txt file on a mac? When I look in the folder below its empty?

On the Mac:
1. You're going to have to show hidden files/folders, I used Onyx.
2. Go to your home directory (i.e. your name), then find the grayed out folder Library (it's normally hidden).
3. Traverse to Application Support > Blizzard > Diablo III
4. Open D3Prefs.txt with your text editor and follow the same steps as the PC stuff:
Change:
- DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" (from 0 to 1)
- HardwareClass "1" (from 0 to 1)
Save the file and close it.
5. The one last thing I had to do was play it in windowed mode:
Added Change (in D3Prefs.txt):
- DisplayModeWindowMode "1" (from 0 to 1)
Save the file and close it.

This should prevent the black screen and initialize the first cut scene, you can proceed to watch it, or escape out of it and then you'll be presented with the login screen for D3. As long as you play in windowed mode, you should be able to play if you were running into the black screen.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
Ummm

It tells you in Step 2 and 3 :P

Here's another way

In Finder :

Go to Go Menu at top of screen -> Go to Folder

Type in

~/Library/

And press return. The follow the instructions from Step 3

Good luck!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I just want to say thank you so, so much for posting this. I was digging through all my folders and could not find that file. I saw this post, fixed the file and I'm in!

Again, many many thanks!
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/15/2012 07:40 AMPosted by Nystrissa
I just want to say thank you so, so much for posting this. I was digging through all my folders and could not find that file. I saw this post, fixed the file and I'm in!

Interesting.

Are you saying you have an unsupported graphics card and this allows you to play ?

Would you mind giving us your hardware specs included your mac model identifier , OS version and graphics card info.

Should be able to find it by holding down the control key going Apple Menu -> System Information
Reply Quote
I have to run mine in windowed mode or it still goes black screen on me. I didnt try playing yet, but it loads and i get to log in screen.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Interesting.

Are you saying you have an unsupported graphics card and this allows you to play ?

Would you mind giving us your hardware specs included your mac model identifier , OS version and graphics card info.

Should be able to find it by holding down the control key going Apple Menu -> System Information

Yep! My game runs fine, it's not the absolute best but it's definitely playable. Sorry it took a bit to get back to you. Hope this helps or hope you got in in the meantime.

I play in windowed mode as well, but I actually prefer that (I'm weird like that).

Here's my specs:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac4,1
Processor Name: Intel Core Duo
Processor Speed: 1.83 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 2 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 667 MHz
Boot ROM Version: IM41.0055.B08
SMC Version (system): 1.1f5
Serial Number (system): QP62313VU2R

ATI Radeon X1600:
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 128 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x71c5
Revision ID: 0x0000
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.068
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Intel ICH7-M AHCI:
Vendor: Intel
Product: ICH7-M AHCI
Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Negotiated Link Speed: 1.5 Gigabit
Description: AHCI Version 1.10 Supported
ST3500418AS:
Capacity: 500.11 GB (500,107,862,016 bytes)
Model: ST3500418AS
Revision: CC35
Serial Number: 9VM20B28
Native Command Queuing: Yes
Queue Depth: 32
Removable Media: No
Detachable Drive: No
BSD Name: disk0
Rotational Rate: 7200
Medium Type: Rotational
Partition Map Type: GPT (GUID Partition Table)
S.M.A.R.T. status: Verified
Volumes:
Capacity: 209.7 MB (209,715,200 bytes)
Writable: Yes
BSD Name: disk0s1
User:
Capacity: 499.76 GB (499,763,888,128 bytes)
Available: 408.49 GB (408,489,971,712 bytes)
Writable: Yes
File System: Journaled HFS+
BSD Name: disk0s2
Mount Point: /

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Edited by Nys#1820 on 5/15/2012 4:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
18 Undead Warlock
This worked for my 2009 macbook with Chipset Model: GMA X3100
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/15/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Nystrissa
Chipset Model: ATY,RadeonX1600

Interesting. Thanks for that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Death Knight
This works. I was able to see the intro,log in,create my character, and play the game. Now when I played the game I got about 1 fps lol but it does work. Thanks op for posting this.
Reply Quote
Change:
- DisableTrilinearFiltering "1" (from 0 to 1)
- HardwareClass "1" (from 0 to 1)

Does anyone have any idea what the HardwareClass integers refer to? On my mid-2010 MBP (MacBookPro6,1) model (nVidia GT 330M), my default in D3PREFS.TXT was already set as;

HardwareClass "3"

love,
shmoo
Reply Quote
86 Blood Elf Paladin
I'm having the framerate issues with my Geforce 9400 graphics card. Even though it is supported, any idea whether disabling trilinear filtering might improve performance? I tried to see if it would and thought performance might have improved slightly, though it could be wishful thinking on my part
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/16/2012 08:50 AMPosted by Traumatic
I'm having the framerate issues with my Geforce 9400 graphics card. Even though it is supported, any idea whether disabling trilinear filtering might improve performance? I tried to see if it would and thought performance might have improved slightly, though it could be wishful thinking on my part

There's also a low fx option in the preferences somewhere you can try.
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem, but when I go to the diablo 3 folder after following all the previous steps, the folder is empty. I have show hidden folders on as well.
Reply Quote
I don't know about you guys but the fix works however at 1fps the game is def. un-playable with graphics less than that of diablo 2, anyone else experiencing this and what are you going to do as well? Im emailing blizzard for a refund.. :/ been waiting forever for this game, its such a shame. And if blizzard denies my refund well then I will drop my WoW account. :)
Reply Quote
81 Human Priest
I have the same system as Nystrissa, but my Application Support folder has no Blizzard folder within.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Draenei Mage
05/16/2012 04:17 PMPosted by TheRealCP3
I'm having the same problem, but when I go to the diablo 3 folder after following all the previous steps, the folder is empty. I have show hidden folders on as well.

05/16/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Ilora
I have the same system as Nystrissa, but my Application Support folder has no Blizzard folder within.

Hmmm.

Are you sure you're looking at the right location ?

IE Home folder -> Library -> Application Support -> Blizzard

Did you try the Go to Folder feature in the Go Menu ?

~/Library/Application Support/Blizzard

Try this :

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/D3Prefs.txt

Save as text file.

Then in that Application Support folder create a Blizzard folder. Inside create a Diablo III folder. Put the d3prefs file inside.

Then make sure the sharing & permissions for the Blizzard folder in Application Support is Read & Write for all groups at the bottom of the Get Info window.
Edited by bluspacecow#1174 on 5/16/2012 11:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
This solution fix the problem but u cant play anyways because is like ur game run like 1 fps? 2? is not cool :(((((((((((
Reply Quote
81 Human Priest
I created the folder and placed the file in it, however I get the black screen of death before I can try to switch to windowed mode. I'm trying apple+m, but that might not be the correct shortcut.
Reply Quote
how can i improve the fps? any suggestions? without having to buying a new computer... thx for the help
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
I had the folder already, created the file (and modified the parameters), and it still launches fullscreen requiring a reboot. Thanks Blizz for making such a mac like way to access video settings!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]