Diablo® III

Where is the D3Prefs.txt File on macs? *HELP*

MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
I created the folder and placed the file in it, however I get the black screen of death before I can try to switch to windowed mode. I'm trying apple+m, but that might not be the correct shortcut.

It should not be doing that.

Are you playing on an admin user ?

The file should be going inside :

Home folder -> Library -> Application Support -> Blizzard -> Diablo III

You might have to hold down the option key while going into the Go menu -> Library

Then into Application Support -> Blizzard -> Diablo III

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/D3Prefs.txt
Reply Quote
On a mac for making older graphics cards work as well as possible go to System preferences then displays and take the resolution down from the highest setting. Mine was on 1440 x 900 and was running very slowly with the graphics options all set to their lowest values in Diablo 3. I reduced my system resolution to 1280 x 800 and hey presto I have a working game.
Reply Quote
I found the D3Prefs.txt. I hope this works
Edited by RGN1969#1261 on 5/18/2012 2:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I got the game to work (windowed mode) but it works so I can deal with it running in that mode. :)
Reply Quote
92 Undead Mage
On 2008 Macbook with Snow Leopard this is painful. It is great when you go from black screen to cut screen after this editing, but then when you play the game it is literally 1 fps. It would be more fun to play D2... better graphics/animation. I have played this on a better machine and this is just unfortunate. Any graphics card upgrade ideas or is a new comp a necessity?
Reply Quote
The "Hardware Class" was set to 3 by default instead of 0... What does that refer to ?

Also, I can play the game fine at 1920*1200 with high settings on a GT 330m, but after 10-15 minutes of gameplay I get down to 5-10 fps. This stays until I reboot.

Interestingly enough this didn't happen during the beta.
Reply Quote
I am having a similar problem. I can get to my Library > Application Support > Blizzard > Diablo III however it is an empty folder and there is no D3Prefs.txt file. I tried to add the file manually and it still is impossible to play. Can someone help me?
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
I did everything you said but when I go to Blizzard > Diablo III there is no d3prefs.txt file. I have all the hidden files shown too.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
05/21/2012 04:31 PMPosted by Boytos38
I am having a similar problem. I can get to my Library > Application Support > Blizzard > Diablo III however it is an empty folder and there is no D3Prefs.txt file. I tried to add the file manually and it still is impossible to play. Can someone help me?

Hmmmm....

Can you actually get in and play ? When you change options do the options save. IE Are they the same when you start it back up or do you need to change them again.

Are you on an admin user ? Are you sure your looking in the right place.

Whip open Terminal for me from Applications -> Utilities.

Then type this :

open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Blizzard/Diablo\ III

And press return.

Actually would you be able to give this a go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/D3%20Application%20Support%20folder%20alias.zip

Unzip that and it's an alias that *should* take you there directly.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 03:39 AMPosted by Bluspacecow

Hmmmm....

Can you actually get in and play ? When you change options do the options save. IE Are they the same when you start it back up or do you need to change them again.

Are you on an admin user ? Are you sure your looking in the right place.

Whip open Terminal for me from Applications -> Utilities.

Then type this :

open ~/Library/Application\ Support/Blizzard/Diablo\ III

And press return.

Actually would you be able to give this a go.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2978624/D3%20Application%20Support%20folder%20alias.zip

Unzip that and it's an alias that *should* take you there directly.

No, I can't get in and play. I get the black screen where only the cursor is shown. Yes, the options do save, however I feel like me creating that file cannot be a good thing. It clearly doesn't work =/. When I type that in the terminal it says it is not found. However, when I unzip your file, the Diablo Application Support folder has nothing in it. I can't seem to put my finger on what exactly the problem is.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
Are you doing all this on an admin user ?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I did this and went from being given a black screen to being able to play with max settings with great fps. OP, I love you.
Reply Quote
mine works, but its fvery very very slow with the settings you guys gave... is that normal ?
Reply Quote
it works for you, but is it slow? very .... ?
Reply Quote
Processeur 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Mémoire 2 Go 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphisme Intel GMA X3100 144 MB
Logiciel Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

but the game is running, but very very very very slow its not even interesting playing... anything possible to do ?
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
97 Draenei Mage
05/22/2012 09:33 AMPosted by Boytos38
No, I can't get in and play. I get the black screen where only the cursor is shown. Yes, the options do save, however I feel like me creating that file cannot be a good thing.

Doesn't sound like it can even create the d3prefs folder at all.

Should just be able to create it all manually.

IE Go that folder again and just save a d3prefs.txt text file into it.
Reply Quote
Creating it manually still doesn't seem to work. I got it to show a hidden file that is named .DS_Store....is that good? There is still no D3Prefs.txt file
Reply Quote
i did everything, now I'm available to play but its running at 1fps is there anyway to make it work at a normal speed ? this is unplayable
Reply Quote
ATY,RadeonX1600 owners, joy be with you, that works!

I do play Diablo III on the 2006 version of MacBookPro! :)

Many thanks to you, bigPToronto.
Reply Quote
It wants to launch but inevitably brings up an error saying my graphics card may need updated drivers but there are none that I can find for my ATI Radeon x1600 for MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]