Diablo® III

Map reset?

when I log out and bakc in or if I go to the character menu and back into the game the map resets ! why? Is this a server problem or a game issue?

When I say reset I mean the FOW is back on places that I already discovered

Tks
View profile
It's normal.

Think about it, Blizzard is not going to save the map state for millions of people. Besides, map reset means respawned monsters which means more things to kill which means more loot which means more fun.
when I log out and bakc in or if I go to the character menu and back into the game the map resets ! why? Is this a server problem or a game issue?

When I say reset I mean the FOW is back on places that I already discovered

Tks
It appears that you aren't familiar with how Diablo games, historically, work. Basically, everything in the game outside of town is randomly generated. In Diablo II, the layout of the land itself was random, whereas in Diablo III, the layout is set, but the dungeons and events outside of town are randomly generated from a large set of possibilities.

This creates a very fun and replayable experience, so that when you play through the game your 8752nd time, it's still (almost) as fun as the first time you played through it.

Hope that helps :)
Edited by Anubis#1918 on 5/15/2012 7:03 AM PDT
tks :D
To me it isn't so fun when the map reset in the same game, ok to regenerate enemies, but if i would come back maybe to sell something i have to search again where is the entrance/exit of the level.. So the only way to not lose the map is to never quit the game..
I remember in DiabloII the map reset was starting new game.. (or deleting the map file..)
yea , i dont like it either if you need to explore everything again again and again. then its like the game is not saving your progress !. i mean how are you supossed to get somethings you forgot if everything on the map keeps getting black :(
90 Tauren Death Knight
Yeah, not liking this at all.
05/16/2012 11:03 PMPosted by Reduan
yea , i dont like it either if you need to explore everything again again and again. then its like the game is not saving your progress !. i mean how are you supossed to get somethings you forgot if everything on the map keeps getting black :(
You must of never liked teh Zelda series either. Or Metroid or any of the classics. How did you handle back tracking in those games?
wait wait WAIT.

there is a HUGE difference though....Diablo 1 and 2 were offline, so you really knew when you were logging out. In THIS game though, EVERY TIME YOUR CONNECTION IS INTERRUPTED THE MAP RESETS.

This is a total, massive, and giant pain in the neck....especially when server stability is sketchy as it is. Almost clearing out a map, and then having to clear the ENTIRE MAP again is really not fun, especially when it is a very short break of connection...I can usually log bag on in seconds to find myself back at the beginning of the map again.

This CANNOT be meant to actually work like this, can it? This has to be an error, doesn't it?
This is annoying. In D2, single player, we would just go to the menu screen and leave the game there and turn the monitor off when done playing and pick up exactly where you left off when you wanted to play again. No resetting maps, no having to clear everything out again. That workaround was fine. When moving on to a whole new area or act was when you could shut the game down, pick it back up from there. Can't do that now in D3 with the constant server connection. Times out after inactivity. Single player with internet connection??? Bad idea...
Dont like this resets A LOT =/
73 Blood Elf Hunter
I'm gonna go ahead and jump into this fray as well. All the folks saying that it was "always this way" and that those of us who would prefer the map didn't reset are newbs are just plain wrong. In Diablo 1 and Diablo 2, in a single player game, the map only reset when you started a new game. Exploring and revealing the entire map, every little corner, is fun for some people, particularly those of us who couldn't give two craps less about multiplayer.

My understanding is that the "always online" mode is mostly for the sake of anti-piracy, which is fine. There is no reason whatsoever that a singleplayer game mode couldn't exist where map data is stored locally (or persistently on the servers if they're really that worried about people cheating in their SP games). It should be an option for those of us who value exploration. For me at least it was a big part of what made the first two games fun. Besides which, it has a negative impact on continuity, immersion, and story to have the map change constantly. I'll keep my fingers crossed for an update that adds this option, though it sounds like I'm in a minority here.
If, server went down, and then i log back in, turns out the exit change from west to east, i would have to search for it again?

This problem isn't as bad if my internet connection and Blizz server are 100% stable. The fact is, they are not.

And yes, discovering every corner of map is fun. But isn't so when i just got kicked out 5 times in a hour. And have to repeatably do the same everytime i log out.
I didn't like it at first too, but it generates new things that you haven't experienced and all of the enemies respawn. Even the harder group mobs which drop better loot. As a completionist, it bugged me but after realizing each non-quest dungeon changed and chests repopped I had to put my OCD in check. It's really beneficial to your toon, you just have to get over the map fog. You could revisit areas and have a whole new experience without even restarting a quest.
It's normal.

Think about it, Blizzard is not going to save the map state for millions of people. Besides, map reset means respawned monsters which means more things to kill which means more loot which means more fun.
WTH ? No. It does not make it more fun.
84 Undead Death Knight
Yes, as annoying as it is, you could get more drops by going over the place again.
bu I have a question, I know that for every character each dungeon you go into (like the Cathedral) is randomized. Every mob is randomized. And every drop. But when you have explored the cathedral completely, does every time you re log, it gets fogged again? Or do the dungeons stay discovered?
73 Blood Elf Hunter
It gets fogged again. In fact, if it is a randomly generated dungeon (like a mass grave or a cave or something) the entire dungeon may disappear. This is especially annoying if you get DC'ed while inside of said dungeon.
5 Night Elf Warrior
I have mixed opinions.
1) On a long scenaria that takes a while to complete and I either log out to do other things (yes, I have a life outside of Bizzard) or get DC'd by the server or my crappy local connection (live in the country); I dislike having to reclear an area just to get back to where I was.

2) On the other hand, I get a lot of gold and levels reclearing things over and over. I had trouble killing the main demon in Act I & II. I just went back, re-explored everything, logged out. Did it again until I had enough levels to kill the guy. Woot.

I wouldn't mind the zones being stored on my computer (like WoW). Or, having a save options. I wish I could reset WoW sometimes and redo a quest the correct way.

Life hs no reset button. Wish it did.
Edited by Vifvrai#1769 on 5/22/2012 2:53 AM PDT
its not an issue ..its just a stupid decision from Blizzard //.i hope to god they well change it cause exploring every inch of the map is my favorite thing to do and they just ruined it for me with this shizz..i hope they patch it
This does not need fixing. It resets every time you leave the game.

This is necessary for the random generation nature of the maps.
Everything is re-fogged every time you log in. However there are "Checkpoints" throughout the main questline, and you will restart there midquest if you resume your last game.

The map will be fogged, but you only need to go forward. You do not have to redo previous tasks on the questline.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]