Diablo® III

Low FPS on Mac still a problem

To OP: try to turn shadows off and uncheck virtual sync that will cause a lot of lag. Try physics at low and just play around with it until you get 60 fps. Don't worry about loosing graphic quality because the way diablo 3 is set up right now changing a setting from high to low is a very small graphics change. Plus 60fps > 30 fps with good graphics.
Reply Quote
Resolution and shadows are about the only thing that make any difference to me. I've got mine around 30fps which is tolerable, but considering the specs of my machine it is still underwhelming.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro6,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest

The only true fix to most of your issues is to buy a gaming PC. The game runs smoothly enough for me on my Mac, but I do not plan on playing at a competitive rate. I recommend either buying a secondary computer to run games on that is a PC, or trying to upgrade all of your Mac's hardware to the best available (which might cost more than just being a PC).

The fact of the matter is that these specs are well within the recommended specs for Macs trying to run this game. Mine are at least. And I could barely finish act 1 never running higher than 15FPS. That is not acceptable and if it cannot be fixed without me buying new hardware then I deserve a refund. It's a legitimate complaint, its not like I bought the game without looking at what calibre of machine I'd need to play.

That said, I understand that tuning the game for performance mac side may take a little longer than windows. Blizz needs to communicate with us as to if the issue is even fixable, because if it isn't I'd like to be speaking with their customer service department soon and get my money back. They also should change their required specs on the internet and boxes, I hate thinking of all the new mac users buying the game and getting excited to play then realizing they can't.
Reply Quote
Totally UNPLAYABLE on my MBP 13' with NVIDIA GeForce 9400M, 8 GB RAM and 2,26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo... MAX FPS around 20/21, 90% of the time around 12-15, which makes the game a slideshow - everything on the LOWEST possible settings.
Reply Quote
These MAC FPS threads are starting to become legendary.

Go back though the Cataclysm and Starcraft 2 Mac Technical support threads.

Blizzard averages about four days into a launch before they start to blame Apple and graphic card updates.
Reply Quote
late 2010 iMac

same problem here.

please fix this blizzard!
Reply Quote
I got Windows 7 as my Bootcamp OS and it works perfectly fine on my MBP (bought about 2-3 years ago). Hope this framerate problem gets fixed soon :/
Reply Quote
My 2007 MBP runs the game at 30+ FPS on lowest settings. One thing that greatly improves my performance is to shut down all background programs. This means an option q or using the status bar. Especially on the Snow Leopard and above, Apple programs run a lot in background.

Macs are awful for gaming, but at least I can enjoy D3 and SC2. Best of luck to you all.
Reply Quote
I have a 2010 macbook pro too. It was laggy for me as well. But I don't think it is the Diablo app causing the lag. I notice Kernel_task was consuming between 50% to 60% of cpu right after I quit the game. So I assume it was the amount cpu it took during gaming if not more. Cpu won't fall back until a few minutes later.
I also noticed if I only stay in the hero selection stage without logging in and playing. The cpu consumption would be normal after I quit the game. It seems to me that, the high cpu only happens when I log in and start to exchange data with the server.
Reply Quote
Okay guys, I am a Mac user also, but we need to know that Macs have been built in a way which support work more than play. It's a widely know fact in the world of technology that PCs have a better gaming experience as Macs have a better work experience. Other companies such as ArenaNet do not even bother with giving access to the Mac platform.

The only true fix to most of your issues is to buy a gaming PC. The game runs smoothly enough for me on my Mac, but I do not plan on playing at a competitive rate. I recommend either buying a secondary computer to run games on that is a PC, or trying to upgrade all of your Mac's hardware to the best available (which might cost more than just being a PC).

Sorry man, but that isn't an acceptable argument in the slightest. Blizzard made a Mac version of the game, with its own set of system requirements, and charged $60 for it. As a consumer, it isn't a good argument to say I should be ok with Blizzard making a subpar version of the game for Macs, because my mac is for work. It is their job, literally, to make the game perform better, or change their system requirements. Honestly that's what is frustrating me the most. There is no excuse to have Macs that are much more powerful than the game requires, yet can barely run the game. I've played plenty of games on my Mac that run great, so this one is on Blizzard...a company that prolific should have had this figured out.
Reply Quote
I have a late 2007 Macbook Pro with upgraded RAM. Other than the upgrade I have minimum specs required to play the game. When I started the game I was pleasantly surprised that I could put everything on high and the frame rate would be at a tolerable level. Then later in Act 2, I can barely move my character with everything on low and/or shut off. This is definitely not a problem with my machine considering the fact that people with 2011 Macbook Pros are reporting the same exact problem. I did notice that pressing z for zoom solved the problem for me during low frame rate occurrences. However this method makes it hard to see your enemies. But hey, there is one good thing about all of this. At least we all know we don't need to upgrade our video cards. This is Blizzard's issue and they will solve it......soon I hope.
Edited by ArkhangelisK#1330 on 5/17/2012 6:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote
of course blizzard is nowhere to be found in this thread..... DONT MAC A GAME AVAILABLE FOR MAC WHEN YOU DONT HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE HOW TO DEVELOP IT PROPERLY
Reply Quote
I've lost faith in blizzard, as a customer this is unacceptable, I purchased both SCII and Diablo 3 same problem with the both of them. They have been well aware of this problem for at least a year. This is almost as bad as dealing with a wireless company.
Reply Quote
Mac Book:

1280 x 800
2,0 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 1067 MHZ DDR3
NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB
Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.8

Same problem for me.
I'm dubious about the solution : should I spread the word to other mac users NOT TO BUY DIABLO III, or.... the same actuallly.
Reply Quote
Imac here upgraded it to the "recommended" hardware but it suck !@#, its like im running 20 times slower then everyone else and then they just teleport 500 yards infront of me. fix this now plz or just stop making games for mac ppl. sc2 works OK for me but not the smoothest there either.
Reply Quote
Yea the customer service is a joke. I send a long, and extremely specific and explicit ticket of my specs to them (also very obviously stated that I've gone through their entire support page and tried it all with no luck). The reply I get 3 days later is essentially "you should try turning down in-game graphics settings". Insert "You Don't Say???" meme here.
At the end of my second message I wrote
"(Insert second generic response here:)"
Reply Quote
Basically with the game settngs below, I get 21-25 FPS. When the action happens, sometimes the FPS drops to 15-18. This iMac has a Radeon 5670 512MB card inside which I am told is actually a Mobility Radeon 5730 512MB, which is why it's GDDR3 and not GDDR5 as the real desktop Radeon 5670 is GDDR5. The Radeon "5670" in my iMac is a low-mid ranger card, I get that, but it seems to handle it since it gets hot in the back to the touch...I know that "5670" in my iMac is getting a work out with Diablo 3. The other thing I noticed is that the FPS seems to vary up or down depending on the environment you are in. Move complex areas mean less power to the overall FPS. Some areas are smooth not matter what. I am speaking on the single player ONLY game, the only game worth playing really. Multi-player is full of idiot who don't know teamwork from a hole in the wall.

The game is playable but only just. In Multi-player games the action is so intense with up to 4 people doing stuff that the FPS drops below 10 at times, then picks up to about 20 when "quiet". Overall I would say this game is placing similar demands on my iMac that StarCraft II does. With SC2 though I am mostly HIGH settings and a few ULTA settings where the CPU matters and I get around 30-35 FPS. What's odd is that my iMac is better than the RECOMMENDED system requirements, and yet it struggles. The biggest thing ANYONE can do to increase the FPS on their Mac, regardless of the hardware they have or what settings to put in the game is LOWER RESOLUTION. Fewer pixels to manage, better results. More pixels, beefier gear you need to push those pretty pixels.

My understanding with people getting better FPS on the PC is that the drivers for Mac or the optimization to run Diablo 3 in MacOS X may need more development. It doesn't kill the game, but it shows that there may be room for more code optimization in MacOS X.

My iMac is no slouch to be sure and it handles Diablo 3 well enough for now, but I would like to see FPS in the 30s at least to really be happy. I can get FPS around 56 FPS if I select DEFAULT settings but the resolution is not native to my screen and is blurry and sickening to look at. I like a sharper image that is cleaner and slower over a sloppy image that is fast and hard on the eyes. My eyes are also 42 years old, nearsighted with glasses, so results may vary.

That said, I HOPE Blizzard releases a patch that fixes the FPS issue on MacOS X soon. I might get a new iMac anyway for other reasons.

Diablo 3 and StarCraft 2 are perfect gem games. I hope for an expansion for D3 like D2 with more characters (2 more?) and maybe more acts, and what about diamonds and sapphires (like D2) in the game (with characteristics)--I only see rubies, amethysts, emeralds and topaz.

Thank you Blizzard. Great game. I bought the Collector's Edition for myself and the standard edition retail box for a friend who decided she did not want it, so I get to have both!!!

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 3.6 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 16 GB

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5670 (Mobility Radeon 5730 actually)
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB

iMac:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Comcast Broadband Internet Speed

Diablo 3 Settings

Fullscreen
1920x1080 (16:9 Widescreen)
LetterBox Checked
Vertical Sync Not Checked
Max Forground FPS 150 (Default)
Max Background FPS 8 (Default)
Texture Quality High
Shadow Quality Medium
Physics High
Clutter Density Medium
Anti-Aliasing Checked
Low FX Not Checked

If I MAX EVERYTHING at 1920x1080 including vertical sync I get 20 FPS and it's jerky....barely playable...and really only in the single player game will it work as the mutiplayer game has too many effects from other players going on...then it grinds and you get LAG death. ALSO, I have the sound setting to HIGH (128). That doesn't seem to effect the FPS if changed, but the it sounds better at HIGH.
Edited by MistaSnipes#1889 on 5/27/2012 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm on 2010 mid MBP with default setting even lowest settings whatever and i have received 5~10 FPS after few min i start the game.

MY SYSTEM SPECIFICATIONS

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Mac OS X 10.7.4
CPU TYPE: Intel Core i7
CPU SPEED: 2.66 GHz
SYSTEM MEMORY: 8 GB ram memory
VIDEO CARD MODEL: NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
VIDEO CARD MEMORY: 512mb
Resolution : 1440 x 900
with solid state drive.
Reply Quote
MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2010
Processor 2.66 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M 512 MB
Software Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4 (11E53)

Have same problem
Reply Quote
I think its Laptop hardware not the video card like we think. I hear that if you run the game on a 16gig USB flash drive it clears all the problems up. I'm gonna buy one tonight so i'll keep you updated.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]