Diablo® III

Followers - what's the point?

So I'm finishing up act 4, servers down, and this entire time I have yet to see the point of even having a follower. The last time I checked, around level 23 or so, my follower was literally hitting for 3 damage. I gave the templar a 1h with ~18 dps and an upgraded shield, and still... 3 damage. At this time, I'm hitting for 80-100 damage consistently.

So I swapped to the enchantress, and behold: 3 damage. I swapped back to the templar just because if someone so much as sneezed on my enchantress, she fell over dead. Granted this only happened whenever new stuff came running at me and I hadn't hit it yet, as she had no damage (and thus no threat generation) to speak of. But it was annoying enough to go back to the templar.

Through all acts, his damage is pitiful. He's up to hitting for around 16 at level 30, and I'm hitting between 700 and 900. So I'm running around kiting everything anyway because he likes to wield a wet noodle. Upgrades don't help, he's stacking all the strength I can throw at him.

As far as defensive abilities, anytime the fight requires something more than just "aoe spam" they die. Not just once mind you -- many, many times.

So now I"m left with the question of: why even have followers? I might as well have been playing completely alone instead of having gimped bots walking alongside of me. My concern going into harder difficulties is some of their abilities/damage might be needed or presumed to be there, and it just isn't.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Can you suit-up a follower with magic find to up your chances without reducing your char's stats?
Edited by Kordavox#1370 on 5/15/2012 3:01 PM PDT
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 03:01 PMPosted by Kordavox
Can you suit-up a follower with magic find to up your chances without reducing your char's stats?

That's something I honestly hadn't considered. At that point they're just glorified gold/magic chance totems that follow me, but at least then they're serving a purpose.
Reply Quote
Yeah, but that's the funny thing : his MF is like 1/5th of the indicated stats on the item.

He's still a bonus though, so I'm not complaining.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
05/15/2012 02:58 PMPosted by Nittany
So I'm finishing up act 4, servers down, and this entire time I have yet to see the point of even having a follower. The last time I checked, around level 23 or so, my follower was literally hitting for 3 damage. I gave the templar a 1h with ~18 dps and an upgraded shield, and still... 3 damage. At this time, I'm hitting for 80-100 damage consistently.

dont the followers gain exp like a play can?
Reply Quote
I came to the same conclusion. I suited up the templar with gear to keep him alive, but realized there's no point. Monsters ignore him, he dies if surrounded and the heal skill is negligible. The only thing useful was putting a fast +cold dagger on him to slow down enemies.
Reply Quote
I really like my templar. He has a nice aoe stun, and his heals on me are quite good. He never dies on me either. I'm a level 35 witch doctor, and have been using him all the time. Maybe it helps that I'm a witch doctor though. I have my own tank with the gargantuan, and a good amount of slows for the big groups. I rarely ever pot though because I can count on the templar to save my butt.

I've tried the other 2 here and there, usually after I find a new weapon that would be good for them. They both do the same crap damage the templar does though just without adding the heals or stuns.
Reply Quote
It would seem as if they are glitched, honestly
They shouldn't be dealing such bad damage
There is probably some flaw in the game engine

I'm sure Blizz will patch the followers so they are more useful in the future
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I'm not sure how well followers scale up to act 4 since I'm still on act 2 but so far the templar has been pretty useful. All the skills I chose for him are healing abilities and he does a pretty good job of helping me out when I'm low on hp. I wouldn't expect to see their damage get buffed by blizzard though since they probably don't want people to run away all the time allowing their followers go do all the work like in torchlight. Although with such low damage I don't see the point to having the enchantress or he scoundrel since they're only dps'ers.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
They have other uses besides just damage.
The Templar, for example, can boost your resource regen rate.
Reply Quote
I used the templar a few times and after seeing pretty meager benefits I relied entirely on public games to bring in other players. I'll take a live person who knows what they're doing versus a bot any day.
Reply Quote
The thing is, only their normal attack does little damage.
Their actual attacking abilities deal quite a lot of damage.

I gave my templar onslaught, and he can often one-shot some monsters with the skill.
It's only on 15 second cooldown, and considering how other templar abilities are great healing/defensive skills, I actually think they are very useful.
Reply Quote
Abuse Str/Dex/Int for the respective followers.
Boosts their damage in insane ways.

I thought Lyndon was terrible until I found a nice dexterity ring. His damage shot up quite nicely.

Their damage is never meant to rival yours- they're followers, not leaders- but if you actually gear them correctly and use their abilities to your advantage, they're actually quite powerful.
Reply Quote

I thought Lyndon was terrible until I found a nice dexterity ring. His damage shot up quite nicely.

Their damage is never meant to rival yours- they're followers, not leaders- but if you actually gear them correctly and use their abilities to your advantage, they're actually quite powerful.

This.
Their main selling points are additional utility supports.
Heal, taunt, stun, knockback, slow, etc.

I've tried to play without templar once just for laughs, and I certainly noticed his empty spot. With heal and knocking back enemies around me, he has saved my life quite a few times already.
Reply Quote
i jus found it seriously annoyin last night when i came across a rare monster that has vampiric abilities that they put on the floor on nightmare and if u stand in it the monster regens hp, so wat does my templar do everytime i hav the monster down to like 10% hp, he goes and stands in the crap and regens the boss to full then dies.
Reply Quote
Anyone notice it's not just the 3 basic followers that are crap hitters but also the pets? The zombie dogs do so little damage even when all 4 (with perk) surrounding one small enemy, the enemy may win. Only good I've found for them is to blow them up which does decent damage and the gargantuan for such a big guy hes a wimp, he last a long time in a fight sure but he does such piss poor damage that I just end up killing everything.
Reply Quote

I just want them to do the damage listed on the equipped weapons. If the damage range on their weapon is 4-12, than I damn well expect my follower to do 4-12 damage.
Reply Quote
85 Gnome Death Knight
You don't need to have a follower. They are there for fun and to add to the story line. Their damage is minor, their utility is negligible. They are there, as their name suggests, for companionship.

If you need absolute proof of the developers intentions with the follower you need look no further than the final boss fight.

Followers are not intended to impact game play in any significant way.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Rogue
... my templar kicks butt, I use him to solo in hell. true his damage is low.. but he taunts mobs and groups them. my DH rolls them.
Reply Quote
Idle chatter =)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]