Diablo® III

To HC or not to HC?

90 Human Death Knight
So I'd like to play D3 on HC, but I never have. And I'm looking for any hints,tips, general advice on playing D3 on HC or if I even should? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to all contributors, if there are any.
Reply Quote
Stay Alive.
Reply Quote
Stack +vit items and don't ignore armor/dodge.
Reply Quote
Seriously though ... HC is a lot of fun and you should just try it.

As a general rule, I equip and skill up for survivability over dps. You need enough dps to kill the mobs, but more importantly, you have to be able to survive.

Take it slow, don't go rushing into the unknown unless you are sure that you won't get overwhelmed.

Other than that, it's the same game, only better!
Reply Quote
never went hc in this realm, great forum, many answers to ?'s i had yet to think of...ty
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
05/15/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Matthew
Stack +vit items and don't ignore armor/dodge.

Is that a general rule for any class?...
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Seriously though ... HC is a lot of fun and you should just try it.

As a general rule, I equip and skill up for survivability over dps. You need enough dps to kill the mobs, but more importantly, you have to be able to survive.

Take it slow, don't go rushing into the unknown unless you are sure that you won't get overwhelmed.

Other than that, it's the same game, only better!

Okay, so I'll give it a shot, but what class would you recommend starting with?
Reply Quote
Once you go Hardcore, you'll find softcore a bore.

Pay attention to stats that will keep you alive - Defense, Resistance, Life.

As mentioned, slow is the rule. Fast, furious, and brainless is for softcore. You play through the game and don't take shortcuts. The HC community has never been one to abide rushers or cheaters.

Learn the game. No really. Actually read about the mechanics. Softcores generally know nothing about the game except loot. Hardcores can tell you to a decimal point the various mechanics of everything in the game and how it will effect your character's ability to survive and do damage.

Once you do the above, know what items will work best for your class. Hardcore items are in very limited and depleting supply, so rares and crafted items will often be your best friend. Know how they can spawn and what to look for, never trash something you may have a use for later.

Have fun. Don't worry about death, it will happen eventually. Only softcores carry about their precious pixels. Hardcores play for challenge and pride.

Play nice with others. Don't piss anyone off when they can have recourse.
Reply Quote
It's a rule for every class yes.

You want that extra chunk of health in case you get in a tight situation.

That extra 15-50 health could be the difference between carrying on your venture or being food for the corpses you we're so joyously slaughtering moments earlier.

A Few key things I've learned with Hardcore in my experience:

- Playing on your own or with close friends is best in most cases. People you can trust. (You can meet some good people in Public games but there's a large risk factor in that.)

-Defensive stats are key; but you need balance between offense and defense.

-Find what you are comfortable with on easier mobs. Do you enjoy playing Aggressively with quick escapes, or cautiously with an all in type of manner. Are you hit and run, Ambush, or just hack and slash? Find items and spells to suit each playstyle.

-Never play while tired or after a Caffeine crash. You may seem fine to yourself, but your reaction timing is probably milliseconds to seconds off due to drowsiness which WILL mean death.

-Never underestimate the help of an extra body (Templar, Scoundrel or Enchantress) even if you just leave them to die so you can escape, NPC's should be utilized.

-Pay attention to your surroundings, and NEVER run away from mobs in a direction you haven't explored. You'll only meet more fanged and clawed critters to rip your entrails asunder.

-Most of all, learn from your deaths. Why did you die. Did you do anything wrong? No? Could you have done something better or different? Figure this out and you're on your way to becoming a better player.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Once you go Hardcore, you'll find softcore a bore.

Pay attention to stats that will keep you alive - Defense, Resistance, Life.

As mentioned, slow is the rule. Fast, furious, and brainless is for softcore. You play through the game and don't take shortcuts. The HC community has never been one to abide rushers or cheaters.

Learn the game. No really. Actually read about the mechanics. Softcores generally know nothing about the game except loot. Hardcores can tell you to a decimal point the various mechanics of everything in the game and how it will effect your character's ability to survive and do damage.

Once you do the above, know what items will work best for your class. Hardcore items are in very limited and depleting supply, so rares and crafted items will often be your best friend. Know how they can spawn and what to look for, never trash something you may have a use for later.

Have fun. Don't worry about death, it will happen eventually. Only softcores carry about their precious pixels. Hardcores play for challenge and pride.

Play nice with others. Don't piss anyone off when they can have recourse.

Seeing as I am a brainless SC wanting to learn HC, where can I look to get an understanding of these mechanics? and to learn about crafting for HC ? etc...
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 03:25 PMPosted by Macabreagony
So I'd like to play D3 on HC, but I never have. And I'm looking for any hints,tips, general advice on playing D3 on HC or if I even should? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks to all contributors, if there are any.

Play... Die... Learn from your mistakes.. Rinse wash repeat, welcome to REAL Diablo.
Reply Quote
To answer your question about which class to play, it's really personal preference. Blizzard does a pretty good job of making sure that every class can complete the game.

Personally, my first character is a Monk, because I think the heals and damage reduction skills will come in handy for HC.

You probably want to avoid "glass cannon" classes/builds until you are more comfortable with HC. Classes that do tons of DPS tend to be fairly fragile.

But really, any class that is properly built (with a focus on survivability) should be fine in HC.
Edited by Dawg6#1416 on 5/16/2012 4:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
You will die horribly over and over again. There are no short cuts to HC winning.

All it takes is to enter a dank cellar and find ArcaneVortexMoltenIllusionistWallerExtrahealth and GG.
Reply Quote
LMAO Ultimate Necro :P.
Reply Quote
There is a really good sticky up there with lots of helpful wisdom about hardcore ^_^. Stay alive! :)
Reply Quote
Buy more clean underwear, you'll need it
Reply Quote
Would probably love HC more if there was as system by which you could recover a dead character that died due to internet lag...
If a charcter died and recorded no mouse clicks while it was happening you should be able to have the death reviewed and the character resurrected.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]