Diablo® III

How to use bows with Wizard class o_O?

This seems such a stupid question, but I have no idea can I attack with my bow as wizard -_- ... My first skill was Magic Missile, but that looks to me like a spell, or is the magic missile IS your weapon attack, so it gets the stats of your weapon and fires it in a magic ball?
Thanks!
Edited by KLARC#1722 on 5/15/2012 4:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Doesn't seem to function like in D2 where any class can equip any weapon and it will operate as per usual. If you equip a bow with your wizard, the only thing that will change is the damage output of your spells.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 04:56 PMPosted by Chaser
Doesn't seem to function like in D2 where any class can equip any weapon and it will operate as per usual. If you equip a bow with your wizard, the only thing that will change is the damage output of your spells.

Oh ok, thanks! I guess, I'll just stick to orbs and shields with wizard then
Reply Quote
All damaging spells and skills in Diablo 3 are based on your weapon.

So yes, you're exactly right. It takes your weapon's stats and turns it into magic.
Reply Quote
Your primary will always fire a skill because its freebut your secondary will fire magic until your out then it wil start shooting arrows. They are nice though because it takes weapon dmg and they give you a good ammount early in the game.
Reply Quote
Ok on the mage ... but i assume it works with all characters. My wife is playing a mage. She only fired the bow when she used a "magic" skill aand did not have the mana for it. All other time the spell went off.

She still got the weapon mods from the item. keep in mind that bows work off of dex and skills from DH's so the damage will be base line, but it will keep your squishy mage from running into combat if you hit the wrong skill and have no mana.
Reply Quote
Once you run out of mana? with your right click you start using your weapon (in your case arrows)
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 10:42 PMPosted by Neowrath
keep in mind that bows work off of dex and skills from DH's so the damage will be base line

It doesn't work like that.

Your class's primary statistic is the only one that affects damage. Strength for Barbarians, Dexterity for Demon Hunters and Monks, Intelligence for Witch Doctors and Wizards.

Yes, this means that Intelligence allows a Wizard to swing a two-handed axe harder.
Reply Quote
Also, does intelligence attributes affect the power of your spells, or it's PURELY your weapon damage?
Thanks!
Reply Quote
I think it's % of dmg increase for everything. You can mouse over your stats when you open up your character panel and it will tell you what each stat does.
Reply Quote
View profile
I had the same confusing problem with weapons as a Wizard.
I keep thinking I'm playing like D2 and fire arrows with primary attack.
But this is D3 and it seems I'm asking the quesition HOW DO I use 'physical only attacks' and save mana like the sorceress in D2?

When I equipped a bow I couldn't fire arrows like in D2? What the?
The I came to realize class specific weapons.
But I also discovered when you run out of mana and you attack you start swinging your weapon and no magical attacks come out because you mana is low and the Wizard keeps saying something like "I need more Arcane power".
But I haven't tried this with Bows.
I do want to fire Arrows without wasting mana like in D2 or fire arrows while my mana is recharging, but it seems D3 won't let you do it.
Well I'll stick to wands and daggers as they're class specific weapons.
Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 5/16/2012 10:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Your main attack, Magic Missle i.e. left mouse button, uses no mana. Your Secondary, Frost Ray i.e. right mouse button, uses mana.
Reply Quote
Hold shift, on realization that you are out of arcane power cast magic missile. There is no reason to ever use the default attack.
Reply Quote
so is there ANY benefit for a wizard using wands over swords?
i'm at level 15 and i've yet to find a descent wand that's better than most 1-handed weapons.
thank you
Reply Quote
The benefit of ANY weapon as a Wizard is it's damage and it's stats (high intelligence, vitality as attributes, and whatever gimmicks you prefer). So a wizard with a 100dps sword will do MUCH more dmg with his skills, then a wizard with a 50dps wand. The only time you use your weapon, is when you run out of mana and are trying to activate a mana costing spell. In that case, you will run at the enemy you are clicking when wielding a sword, while wielding a ranged weapon will damage them from afar.
Reply Quote
View profile
If you have 'Elective mode' enable you can drag the skill off and make any action 1-4 or any mouse button your attacks including 'weapons only attacks'.

You can even have two secondary attacks on each mouse button if you want.
Or
Two primary attacks on each mouse button.
Or
left mouse weapons only and right mouse button any spell.
This is the great thing about Elective mode enabled you can put any ability on your mouse controls(if you have a 7 button mouse) and make any key bindings.

I do kinda wonder how may people have discovered Elective mode since it disable by default and so the game automatically sets primary attacks to left mouse button.
Primary attack (or signature move) can even be put on actions 1-4 if you want.

Its funny what you discover about this game when the game doesn't give you a manual in the retail version so you can read about all the settings.

And Yes you can select Bows for Wizards but you have to have 'no skill' to that attack button for you to fire arrows.
So there's your answer.
Edited by MaskedReaper#6672 on 5/17/2012 3:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Weapons also affect how fast you cast your spells, but they hit with the same strength as said weapon.

Thus, if you're attacking with a 2H sword each spell will be delivered more slowly, but hit harder than, say, using an dagger or hand crossbow.

I am not sure how this parses for constant effect spells (freeze ray, disintegrate), however. Either damage is dealt per the weapon's attack speed or averaged out over the duration of that attack mode or some other mechanic altogether.
Edited by Blaqwolf#1946 on 5/17/2012 5:07 AM PDT
Reply Quote
so is there ANY benefit for a wizard using wands over swords?
i'm at level 15 and i've yet to find a descent wand that's better than most 1-handed weapons.
thank you

ahh yes, with a wand (or bow) when you spam a spell and run out of arcane power you will
ranged attack rather than running up to the bad guy.

not a huge deal, but SOME benefit yes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]