Diablo® III

Framerate issues clearly Blizzards software

I was bored and playing around, not buying into Blizzards excuse that it's our fault, or that our hardware is terrible and perhaps the 9400m GT just can't run the game.

Fact 1: This game runs fine in Bootcamp, running the same hardware.

Fact 2: Every Mac user gets low frame rates, between 12-25.

Fact 3: It runs perfectly in a VIRTUALIZED Windows 7 environment, yes that's right.

I got bored and tired of 12 FPS at 800x600 on the lowest settings so I took my 2008 Unibody MBP with the following specs.

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 3 MB
    Memory: 8 GB
    Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
    Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
    SMC Version (system): 1.32f8

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCI
    VRAM (Total): 256 MB
    Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
    Device ID: 0x0863
    Revision ID: 0x00b1
    ROM Revision: 3385
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Built-In: Yes
    Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
    Boot Volume: Home
    Boot Mode: Normal

And since I already run Parallels for certain windows applications I threw Diablo 3 on there. Running in a Virtualized Windows 7 Environment, basically Windows 7 running on top of OSX, I consistently get 40 FPS outdoors and up to 90 in a house at minimum settings, and remains playable with most settings on high at 1280x800 as long as AA remains off.

Long story short, Blizzard made a terrible Mac clinet and is blaming hardware and telling us Mac users we just need to reset our settings or simple fixes like that. If it runs that much better in a Virtualized OS then there is actually a real problem here.

I'd also like to recommend if you want to avoid the bootcamp hassle just pick up Parallels Desktop, it's a real life saver when a AAA software publisher can't write Mac software.
Reply Quote
Very interesting. Could other players with a 9400m graphic card and Parallels Desktop try to run Diablo 3 in such a virtualized Windows 7 environment and check if they see such an improvement ? I think that would help us understand if there's a problem with the mac client of D3.
Reply Quote
I will give it a try on XP under Virtualbox when I get home tonight.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 06:09 PMPosted by Sinbo
Very interesting. Could other players with a 9400m graphic card and Parallels Desktop try to run Diablo 3 in such a virtualized Windows 7 environment and check if they see such an improvement ? I think that would help us understand if there's a problem with the mac client of D3.

Browsing the forums for a fix (I run 9400m too), it seems quite a few people have had success with this method. And I've seen no reports of the problem persisting in Bootcamp. The problem is with how the OSX handles the 9400m, and Blizz needs to patch it. Especially since there are reports of Beta running great with 9400m before patch 14, 15, or 16 (I don't remember, I just read it).
Reply Quote
How did you get D3 to run on Parallel's? Or did you manually install the window's version?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
you could do that or you can just install a windows version using bootcamp. bootcamp comes with macs to set up parallels. i just dont want to spend 100 more dollars to buy windows.. -_- waste of 60 dollars so far. hope they fix it. hope its even something they can fix
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4210081151?page=1#2
spread the word so people dont waste their money
Reply Quote
Good to hear, I hope blizzard does some patching soon and we should keep pushing them. I understand that OSX is worse than Windows at playing games on the same hardware for many reasons, but 50-70% slower is just not acceptable.
Reply Quote
redownloading at my parallel right now.
This is prolly the last chance i give d3 or else im going straight back to sc2 ladder until master
Reply Quote
To be honest.. I do not think Blizzard will fix this.
I've been waiting for more than a 6 months for them to fix the performance bug
that was introduced in Starcraft 2 with patch 1.4.2..... 1.4.3 made things even worse.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Thanks for the post OP, i was kind of curious about that. I have read conflicting reports on Bootcamp performance, and ive also heard that people with BOTH 9400m AND 9600m GT chips were getting Diablo to only recognize the 9400m chip instead of the 9600.

so my theory was that people bootcamping were finally just getting the game to utilize the 9600 chip like intended, which would explain their increase performance under Bootcamp, but i had read that some people with ONLY the 9400m were not experiencing the increase under Bootcamp, that it only added mabye 5fps if that.

So again, thanks for showing that its not our hardware that is the problem, hopefully more people can test this out.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
How did you get d3 to run on parallel desktop? Did you install it on the windows side? If so how. I tried installing it on winxp and it says i dont meet the system requirements even though it runs fine on the MAC side of things
Reply Quote
05/16/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Jagox
How did you get d3 to run on parallel desktop? Did you install it on the windows side? If so how. I tried installing it on winxp and it says i dont meet the system requirements even though it runs fine on the MAC side of things

I just clicked okay and it continued through the install. Then ran it and it opened just fine. Consistant FPS, no screen tearing. Pretty pleased.
Reply Quote
I get 30 fps and I just have an HD3000. I have everything on High, except I turned Shadows to Off.
Reply Quote
Arreat, can you please confirm your graphics card is a 9400m? You're model macbook5,1 looks like it should be a unibody 2008 macbook (same I'm running), but your cpu speed seems high.

I'm currently installing Windows 7 on Bootcamp. I'll try both virtualization and booting directly into it asap.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
when i try that it says your system doesnt meet requirements even though it runs fine on the mac side
Reply Quote
I am downloading Parallels right now to test this with my own sys specs. I'll post here when I get my results.

Model Name: MacBook
Model Identifier: MacBook5,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MB51.007D.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.40f2

Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M
Type: GPU
Bus: PCI
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0863
Revision ID: 0x00b1
ROM Revision: 3385
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: HD
Boot Mode: Normal

Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 23:06
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info, really crossing my fingers for a patch in our advantage
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]