Diablo® III

Framerate issues clearly Blizzards software

I have a friend with similar specs as the op. I setup boot camp for her and it runs better then on mac but still not as much fps gain as stated by the op. Currently, she is getting around 20fps max which is not bad compared to the barely 12fps before.

I'd like to know the full setup of your parallels, the only thing I do see is you have quite a bit more ram, she has 4GB but she doesn't run it in parallels, so the ram shouldn't make a 30-40 fps difference.
Reply Quote
I'm not even on a Mac, I have an Asus G73SW, and I'm getting 23 FPS. This laptop should be getting 50+ FPS on any game, let alone this game, where it should easily reach 100 FPS. I kept telling myself that I went overkill getting this laptop (which is 14 months old) for this game. My friend has a desktop that is worse than my laptop by more than a little (I think), and he told me he's getting 140 FPS.
Edited by PackersFTW#1402 on 5/16/2012 6:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I'm going to go out a limb and say this is an implementation problem. When software is developed (game engine or otherwise) programmers design with re-usability in mind. This makes me think it is akin to this issue:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/3657426477

Not so much that support for older graphics cards is out. How the renderer is being implemented and utilized seems to be flaky. This was a problem in beta. I have a mid2010 mini with 2.4 GHz core 2 duo, 8 gigs of ram and a nvidia 320m @ 256 MB shared memory. So I am right in between the top tier of Minimum and the bottom tier of Recommended settings. I still have to turn off shadows (which is fine), reduce effect complexity and graphics option settings, and scale the resolution back (which is not fine). That makes the game playable but with very disgusting pixel decoration. It still doesn't do well in large mobs so I still couldn't attempt a higher difficulty because I had no idea what the extra number of mobs was going to do. It was limping in a dungeon as it was.

I had to do basically the same configuration of options for WoW. This doesn't seem like a coincidence to me. Per this guide, WoW has a consistent framerate:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/969747052

Needless to say, I haven't accepted the EULA or ToS yet because I am not about to agree to play a game I may not be able to use all the features of. Especially since my beta profile allowed me to download and test it based on my hardware specs and platform.
Edited by warlock053#1803 on 5/16/2012 6:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Does it run better through bootcamp or parallels??
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
I'm not even running a mac and I am having issues with framerate. They are consistent too. It does not matter if I am running at 1080p or 1366x768. It still chugs in the dumbest areas and it is quite irritating. Beta was smoother than this.

8192 mb ram
Intel core i7 2630QM CPU @ (8 cpu's) ~2.0ghz
Geforce GTX 460M
Windows 7 64 bit

Now it seems to me I surpass even the PC minimum/recommended requirements.
I am certain the problem does not lie with PC or MAC users, but with blizzard releasing something that should have been a little bit better optimized prior to release.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
05/16/2012 06:14 PMPosted by Mystweaver
Does it run better through bootcamp or parallels??

I really can't say. I have a PC Laptop that I could play it on but I may be putting Ubuntu on it. I don't have a license for Win7 I can use for Bootcamp or Parallels. Otherwise I would have just not bought the Mac. This is my primary use machine and the laptop is for coding specifically for Win.
Reply Quote
Installing on XP through Bootcamp as we speak. Will report back. Though so far it's installing MUCH slower than on os x, not sure why.
Edited by Heretic89#1654 on 5/16/2012 6:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
I'm not even running a mac and I am having issues with framerate. They are consistent too. It does not matter if I am running at 1080p or 1366x768. It still chugs in the dumbest areas and it is quite irritating. Beta was smoother than this.

8192 mb ram
Intel core i7 2630QM CPU @ (8 cpu's) ~2.0ghz
Geforce GTX 460M
Windows 7 64 bit

Now it seems to me I surpass even the PC minimum/recommended requirements.
I am certain the problem does not lie with PC or MAC users, but with blizzard releasing something that should have been a little bit better optimized prior to release.

Sounds like a memory leak in the engine where it talks to the renderer(s) if it affects both platforms. Whatever it is, I hope they fix it so I can install it.
Edited by warlock053#1803 on 5/16/2012 6:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
05/15/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Arreat
Fact 2: Every Mac user gets low frame rates, between 12-25.

i can agree with 1 and 3 to an extent., but this is blatently false.

i've also seen mixed reports of it running better or the same in windows. depending on what they are comparing, 10.7.4 to windows 7, or 10.6.8 to windows 7 for example, comparing current software to one that's a year old isn't a fair comparison. certain cards do run better in windows though, depending on state of OS X drivers, but not all of them. some of them run at most only a couple fps higher.

I do not dispute anyones fps trouble, but do not speak on behalf of ALL mac users please. Stick to your problem affecting you or other people with similarly configured machines.

I happen to know for a fact several ATI graphics macbook's play fine. most imacs play fine. pretty much ALL mac pros play fine, even the 2006 ones if they have at least bumped video card up from stock one. the fps issues seem to be strongly and suspicoiusly related to nvidia graphics laptops.
Edited by MysticalOS#1981 on 5/16/2012 6:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Ok, I'm trying to stick out this install so I can tell if there is a big difference running on bootcamp, using an '07 imac so it should be interesting, but my god 25 minutes into the install and its at %9 o_O it was over half way done on osx by then.
Reply Quote
For me, there is a big different when running it in bootcamp. I don't know my FPS, but I can use higher graphics settings and a higher resolution when running it in windows xp via bootcamp. On my osx boot, it's barely playable, even at the lowest settings.

Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 ghz
8gb ram
geforce 9400m
Edited by Illusio#1831 on 5/16/2012 6:30 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
05/16/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Omega
the fps issues seem to be strongly and suspicoiusly related to nvidia graphics laptops.

You can add mac mini to that (I'm sure they are basically the same). My point of contention is I can play a Source mod at full resolution on recommended settings with low to mid complexity shadows. The objects and assets are of a much higher quality and it supports up to 32 players. This is on the same OS with the same specs and the same drivers. I can play Unreal Engine games with minimal reduction of quality and a slight resolution bump but that is to be expected because of everything going on. I expect WoW to have lag because of the resources required to sustain everything. Diablo III in single player mode should not lag like this.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
05/15/2012 06:03 PMPosted by Arreat
Fact 2: Every Mac user gets low frame rates, between 12-25.

This is not true. I have no issues what-so-ever with fps (haven't experienced lag at all, so tbh I haven't even checked it). I don't do anything currently that would require me to use bootcamp so I can't say how it would do there. I do have a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT card as well, but I don't use it. I assume if I was using it I'd be having the same problems, based on what I've been reading. Here's some of my system info. in case it helps.

ATI Radeon HD 4870:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 4870
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
Slot: Slot-1
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x9440
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B7710C-176
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.318
Displays:
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Display Serial Number: HVDS505080
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Rotation: Supported
Television: Yes
Display Connector:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Not Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 5:38

Edit:
Posted by Omega
the fps issues seem to be strongly and suspicoiusly related to nvidia graphics laptops.

You can add mac mini to that (I'm sure they are basically the same). My point of contention is I can play a Source mod at full resolution on recommended settings with low to mid complexity shadows. The objects and assets are of a much higher quality and it supports up to 32 players. This is on the same OS with the same specs and the same drivers. I can play Unreal Engine games with minimal reduction of quality and a slight resolution bump but that is to be expected because of everything going on. I expect WoW to have lag because of the resources required to sustain everything. Diablo III in single player mode should not lag like this.

Based on my lack of issues as well as the variations I saw in the issues, I am guessing that that the nvidia graphics have something to do with it without specifics as to laptops, minis, etc.
Edited by Murderdeity#1418 on 5/16/2012 6:54 PM PDT
Reply Quote
97 Human Warrior
The low framerate on Mac's is not Blizzards fault. There are TWO leading reasons which contribute to the slow mac performance vs. Pc relatively.

1.) OpenGL vs. DirectX. OpenGL is just that... OPEN. It is an open source graphic rending language which mac's use to render 3d games. The problem is here that it is not optimized for performance, not updated as regularly (in terms of new GFX card support), and overall just lacks in all categories of performance when compared to DirectX.

2.) Graphic Card Drivers. Same thing applies here as above when it comes to not being as updated as frequently compared to windows drivers. ALSO, that the companies themselves do not dedicate as many resources to the Mac departments to improve the performance.

TL:DR: Macintosh OSX GFX Card drivers are not up to par and not updated as regularly compared to the PC world. The rendering functions and language that Apple uses (OpenGL) does not perform as well as DirectX (PC).

So, stop blaming blizzard for creating a terrible product, or saying they are ripping you off. Please do your research before pointing your finger. They are doing the best they can with what they are given by the platform.
If ANYTHING, you should be blaming APPLE and NVIDIA/ATI for not supporting the Mac side equally.

On a PERSONAL NOTE:
Diablo 3 runs at a constant 60 FPS on my MacBook Pro (2.64 i7, 8GB 1333 DDR3 RAM, ATI 6950 1GB DDR5 GFX Card). The newer models, even with this disadvantage, perform just as well due to the sheer power they pack. (YOU MUST TURN SHADOW'S OFF! SHADOWS ARE THE ONLY THING THAT WILL JUST DESTROY YOUR PERFORMANCE).

-Above
Reply Quote
My game is running fine and I have the same specs as OP. Are you all running on high performance mode? Before I was on energy saver then I switched to the high performance and it runs great now.
Reply Quote
I'm afraid it is Blizzard fault people. I've been in the beta from the very start. The game ran perfectly on native res on my iMac 27":

iMac 27" mid-2010
Processor 2,93 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.4

As I've said, it ran perfectly during the beta with all the graphics turned on high + Vsync & AA also turned on. I got about 40 to 60 frames and higher (depending on the location, example: in doors I usually got higher frame rates).

Then there came a patch, I'm quite sure it was Patch 16 (or somewhere around that number). Mac users started seeing their frame rates drop after that patch. And not just 5-10 fps drops, nope, 20-30 fps drops. Thats just wrong.

There were almost no mac users with frame rate issues before that patch... So yeah, blizzard s problem I think.

Seriously blizzard, fix this. We love you, you are a talented team of the best in the world! The game rocks, I've been loving it so far and it really is worth the wait. But I hate playing on really low fps (currently 15- 24 at best, unless I lower a lot of things). Its a huge difference from playing at a stable 40-60 fps. Especially in a game like diablo where there is so much happening on screen.

I installed windows on my computer a few weeks ago (in windows the game runned at 80 to 120 fps which was great). But I hate booting into windows every time + windows crashed one of my computers AGAIN last week. So no windows for me...

Once again, people, we have to bring this to blizzard attention, this is a software fault not a hardware fault.

BLIZZARD PLEASE FIX THIS, we know you guys like (love!) macs too!

-Brun
Edited by BrunCroes#2276 on 5/17/2012 2:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
The low framerate on Mac's is not Blizzards fault. There are TWO leading reasons which contribute to the slow mac performance vs. Pc relatively.

False, D3 was running decent on most Macs up until patch 14 or 15 on the Beta. So it IS Blizz's fault, since it worked fine before, but they changed something in their patches and coding, and now 9400m users (just like in Beta past few patches) are getting FPS issues.
Reply Quote
1.) OpenGL vs. DirectX. OpenGL is just that... OPEN. It is an open source graphic rending language which mac's use to render 3d games. The problem is here that it is not optimized for performance, not updated as regularly (in terms of new GFX card support), and overall just lacks in all categories of performance when compared to DirectX.

2.) Graphic Card Drivers. Same thing applies here as above when it comes to not being as updated as frequently compared to windows drivers. ALSO, that the companies themselves do not dedicate as many resources to the Mac departments to improve the performance.
It might sound plausible to some, but consider what the original poster wrote: the software runs just fine in virtualized Windows. This means that all Direct3D calls will be translated to OpenGL, before Mac OS X sends them to the hardware. If it was OpenGL slowing things down, this should make the game horribly slow. Since it's faster, it means the D3 code for Mac has some segments that are badly written.

Oh, and OpenGL isn't open source. It's an open specification, and the Mac OS X implementation is quite speedy.
Reply Quote
Starcraft 2 Forum "Mac-tech Support"!!!! Visit it and youll see what to expect!

I have a maxed Out iMac Mid 2011! Under 10.7.4 no stable fps as sc2!
50€ for a really Bad made Game
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]