Diablo® III

Chakram vs Ball Lightning

85 Tauren Druid
Just wondering what people are using. Both skills seems very good and seem to be the best AoE due to solid damage and a very low hatred cost. Dual chakram has more damage but ball lightning seems to hit a bit more.

Also, for some of the huge bosses, these abilities seem like they can hit multiple times per shot. For the act 2 boss specifically, it seems like my ball lightning could hit him several times before it pass completely through. Kinda makes single target abilities pointless on bosses like that.
Reply Quote
i use frost arrow 8)
Reply Quote
ball lightning can hit the same mob (even small ones) multiple times. this skill actually really surprised me for the amount of dps it puts out

frost arrow was amazing too

im using screaming skull atm (lvl 40 act2 NM) since the fear really helps CC since I dont like entangling shot
Reply Quote
I keep seeing people talk about Duel Chakrams. I am level 28 right now and I have to say I find it great, but not nearly as powerful as elemental arrow + ball lightning. The trick here is in the math. Duel chakrams do 202% weapon damage(As physical) if BOTH chakrams hit the target. They are very similar to Hammers in D2, except faster movement and they shoot outward. Now, the issue I have with it is that it wont always hit mobs that are walking towards you (both that is). However, lets look at Ball lightning for a moment...

Ball lightning does 155% weapon damage, and the ball of lightning moves slowly in front of you. The cost is the same as Chakram (10 hatred), however there is one slight advantage.. The lightning is able to hit mobs twice. I have tested this and confirmed. What makes it even more powerful is hitting the mobs with a few entangling shots + Chain gang and then unloading ball lightning. You are talking 310% weapon damage (as lightning) if it hits twice. From what I have seen, it is more likely to hit mobs twice then both chakrams, especially if the mobs are slowed/stunned. I've even seen it hit a mob four times when they get knocked back. I seriously suggest taking a second look at ball lightning before dismissing it.
Reply Quote
05/15/2012 09:56 PMPosted by Polyester
i use frost arrow 8)
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
am I the only one going impale? it's by far the best
Reply Quote
God I love ball lightning.

I had no intention of having it in my build, but after using it a few times I can't play without it.
Reply Quote
I went into playing as a DH not using Elemental Arrow but after I got the first rune....oh my god...and then Frost Arrow?
Totally exceeded expectations
Reply Quote
Neither.

Multishot with reduced cost.
Reply Quote
Dual Chakram is good, ball lightning is good, but their major downside is, that they are so cheap actually.

Against some of the tougher rares, you dont have the luxury of staying 10 seconds till your hatred is depleted.

You open up and burst down your hatred and then starting to kite with hungering.

Impale does that very well. Impale + overpenetrating, although I am tending seeing multishoot as strong contester aswell.

Another thing is traveltime. Some of the faster mobs, are so fast, that slow stuff like chakrams/ball lightning just doesnt cut it anymore in terms of multiple hits form them.

I use:

Hungering + Pierce
SS + Lingering
Vengeance + Beastly Bombs
Preparation + Battle Scars
Fan of Knives + Hail of knives
Impale + Overpenetration.

Smokescreen makes vault simply obsolete, since it makes you completely invulnerable for 3 seconds.

Sometimes I drop Vengeance for my beloved and cute ferret though ;)
Reply Quote
Frost arrows for me. Has a little bit of everything. Utility, Solid damage, spamable, and mild aoe since it splits off after impact.
Reply Quote
I'm only lvl23, but I noticed you don't have any slows whatsoever with your build. How does that work out for you?

Btw, I completely agree with overpenetration and I can't wait to get it. When I saw that before release I knew it'd be my go to, I've had Impale on my right-click forever even without it.
Reply Quote
Dual Chakram is great for a lot of situations as long as you are able to maintain the right distance to make it work right. Ball Lightning is great in all situations but it's got plenty of shortcomings too. Mainly that it's extremely slow.

Once you get Razor Disk Chakram, you'll never use either of them again though.
Reply Quote
The knife is all the slow I need. I am faster then all the mobs when i run back turn/shoot run/shoot etc. It doesnt matter if I have the slow or not as I am faster regardless.

If there are faster mobs, then occasional smoke screen + tactical gives me all the reposition i need.

You will see what I mean with the traveltime of lightning/chakram when you hit hell. They are too slow.
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
I like Dual Chakarm but it's just too "easy". So now Ice Arrow + Crow :D.
Reply Quote
I haven't gotten boomerang yet, but I find razor disk chakram to be way better than twin chakrams or serpentine chakram.

I use entangling shot, so frost arrow never appealed to me, but I am going to test ball lightning elemental some more after reading this thread.

and ofc. Impale > for bosses or insanely hard unique monsters.
Edited by proph21#1183 on 5/16/2012 11:55 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I really dislike chakrams. This makes me happy to hear! I can't believe I didn't try ball lightening or frost elemental arrow, I got stuck in the rut of spamming chakrams even though I hate them so much!

Annoying sound effects, fills the screen with "bull!@#$."
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior

Ball lightning does 155% weapon damage, and the ball of lightning moves slowly in front of you. The cost is the same as Chakram (10 hatred), however there is one slight advantage.. The lightning is able to hit mobs twice. I have tested this and confirmed. What makes it even more powerful is hitting the mobs with a few entangling shots + Chain gang and then unloading ball lightning. You are talking 310% weapon damage (as lightning) if it hits twice. From what I have seen, it is more likely to hit mobs twice then both chakrams, especially if the mobs are slowed/stunned. I've even seen it hit a mob four times when they get knocked back. I seriously suggest taking a second look at ball lightning before dismissing it.

the 155% on BL is not per time it hits, it assumes 2 hits.

i get 3.5k-4k per hit with BL and 9-11k with frost arrow(170%)

that said BL is the best move you have for any time you are in a hallway of any kind, and you often are.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]