Diablo® III

Mouse-tracking worsens over time played.

100 Night Elf Druid
I am experiencing ( and also did during the open beta) a serious degradation of mouse-tracking accuracy as I play the game. When I start the game and enter the world at first my mouse tracks accurately and I can fight multiple mobs incoming various directions easily. But as I continue playing, the mouse pointer begins to 'jump' all over the place, and even slight movement shows the pointer move across my entire screen when I only wanted it to move a pixel or 2 over to say, pickup an item, or attack another enemy. Anyways I try windowing and then back to fullscreen and it makes it work-able for a min or 2 then it goes back to jittery and inaccurate finally forcing me to quit playing because I know if I get into a REAL firefight with many enemies, my mouse will go wonky and I'll be stuck watching my character get killed.

I understand I am on an old system, but it DOES meet minimum reqs and I DO play World of Warcraft: Cataclysm easily on same system.

I'm on a 1st generation Mac Pro Tower (Mac Pro 1,1), running OS/X 10.6.8
Dual Xeon dualcore CPU's, 4Gb RAM. ATI Radeon HD 3870 (512Mb VRAM)
MS Optical Trackball (tried with system driver and now MS Intellipoint Drivers, same result)
Rogers Hi-Speed EXTREME internet (28Mbps)

Any help on this would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Reply Quote
This. Same. Here. And it's driving me mad. I've managed to get to Hell but Belial is as far as it goes with my trusty Witch Doctor. Can't progress until this is fixed. Any ideas yet?
Reply Quote
I'm also having issues with my mouse. I have several different mice and they all seem to have the same issue of getting flakier as time goes on in the game.

And then it gets worse and I lose my pointer all together. Then I die because I can't quit. It's awesome. NOT.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks for the reports. Can you post your full system specs and what type of mice y'all are using?

Obtaining System Information
    1. Hold the 'Option' Key and choose System Profiler/Information from the Apple Menu.

2. Copy the information from the following sections:
  • Hardware (remove the Serial Number line)
  • Graphics/Displays
  • Software (remove the Computer Name and User Name lines)
Reply Quote
I'm having the same problem, only mine usually occurs when there is a lot of cluster on the screen.

I'm using a Logitech MX performance mouse (http://www.logitech.com/mice-pointers/mice/devices/5845)
Here are my specs(sorry for the foreign language):

Software:
Wersja systemu: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Wersja jądra systemu: Darwin 10.8.0
Wolumin startowy: Macintosh HD
Tryb uruchomienia: Normalny (normal)
Nazwa komputera: XXXXXXXXXX
Użytkownik: XXXXXXXXX
Bezpieczna pamięć wirtualna: Włączona (turned on)
64-bitowe jądro i rozszerzenia: Tak (yes)
Czas od uruchomienia: 16:21

Hardware
Nazwa modelu: MacBook Pro
Identyfikator modelu: MacBookPro8,2
Nazwa procesora: Intel Core i7
Szybkość procesora: 2,2 GHz
Liczba procesorów: 1
Łączna liczba rdzeni: 4
Pamięć podręczna L2 (na rdzeń): 256 KB
Pamięć podręczna L3: 6 MB
Pamięć: 4 GB
Wersja Boot ROM: MBP81.0047.B27
Wersja SMC (system): 1.69f3
Numer seryjny (system): XXXXXXXXXXXX
UUID sprzętu: XXXXXXXX-3B0C-5F8C-B4A4-00A85650D1EF
Czujnik gwałtownych ruchów:
Stan: Włączony (turned on)

Graphics/Displays
AMD Radeon HD 6750M:

Model zestawu układów: AMD Radeon HD 6750M
Typ: GPU
Magistrala: PCIe
Szerokość szyny PCIe: x8
VRAM (łącznie): 1024 MB
Producent: ATI (0x1002)
ID urządzenia: 0x6741
ID korekty: 0x0000
Korekta ROM: 113-C0170L-573
Wersja gMux: 1.9.23
Wersja sterownika EFI: 01.00.573
Displays:
Kolor LCD:
Rozdzielczość: 1440 x 900
Głębia kolorów: Kolor 32 bitowy (ARGB8888)
Monitor główny: Tak (yes)
Odbicie lustrzane: Wył. (turned off)
Aktywny: Tak (yes)
Wbudowany: Tak (yes)
Reply Quote
I just wanted to add my condolences and say it's definitely not the age of your machine. I have the same problems on my relatively new 2011 MBP.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f98

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 3000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0126
Revision ID: 0x0009
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1280 x 800
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

System Version: Mac OS X 10.7.4 (11E53)
Kernel Version: Darwin 11.4.0
Boot Volume: Macintosh HD
Boot Mode: Normal
Secure Virtual Memory: Enabled
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: Yes
Time since boot: 11 minutes

I'm using a Logitech M510 USB wireless mouse. The built-in touchpad doesn't seem to be affected by this (at least on my machine) - only USB-attached devices.
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
Same issue here, with a 3.4Ghz Core i7, 1GB video card and 16GB of RAM. Issue started with Pandaria. Stuttering mouse pointer, slides all over 10x further than I actually move it, and it only happens inside of WoW... with WoW running and jittery, i can swap to a browser and my mouse resumes normal function, swap back to WoW, sliding all over the place, jittery...

For me, it seems to creep up, along with sound effect stutters/stops/starts and framerate drop during even a single Urol's Vortex, or getting a mage buff.... but throw out hurricane, blizzard and a few fan of knives, no problem... usually.

Then on some boss fights it's like time will slow down and stretch, then snap with all damage taken and dealt out slamming into the span of a single sec, and i'm left staggering around wondering wtf.

Issue only happens in WoW. I've done a complete erase from system and reinstall from Blizzard of WoW's client. I've tried it in 64-Bit and 32-Bit mode, with the issue happening slightly less, but not less often enough, in 32-Bit as opposed to 64-Bit. The issue occurs in battlegrounds, large raids, cities, farming bfe... doesn't matter.

Resetting my SMC and doing an immediate PRAM reset affects no change. Going windowed sometimes help, sometimes it doesn't. Restarting my machine helps sometimes, other times not.

It's just all so flaky, anything could cause it to happen, and other times things that would otherwise cause it to happen fail to.

I've called into Blizzard phone support and talked with a fellow for an hour, who then suggested we correspond via email; I sent him an email on my system profile but have never heard back from him.

..../shrug.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
What type of mouse are you using? Please post the make/model?
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
The mouse I'm using is the same mouse I've used for the last 3-4 years, with no problems with it jumping around until MoP.

It's a Logitech G9.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
I know there was issues with wireless mice and unibody MacBook Pros, but your case might be different.

You mentioned MoP. Does it happen for all Blizzard games?
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
I'm afraid I only play World of Warcraft... however, I never had this jumping mouse, jittery video/audio until MoP. It seems to be related to high-graphics, our new spell effects, zoning in/zoning out until things 'catch up'.... if that makes any sense.

I did adjust the maxfps through a /command, foreground and background, max foreground at 50fps, background is 8fps...

I'm still checking it out, I'll be sure to comment further as I test these settings.

I find it odd that the default - auto-detect hardware - settings don't seem to be optimal, from what I've been told about how I need to cap my frame rate manually.

More later....
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
My Maxfps command hasn't changed anything.... right when i need to do my best, because of combat, my mouse starts jumpin around, sliding all over, jittery video, jittery sound.

Be nice if Blizzard would patch the software... far too many people having issues on far too many configurations to try to tweek individual computers that have no problem with anything outside of WoW.

Customers are waiting.....
Reply Quote
What drivers are being used for these mice? I have found logitech drivers to cause a lot of problems with games. However third party alternatives such as SteerMouse or USBOverdrive.

http://plentycom.jp/en/steermouse/

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/News.html
Reply Quote
I had actually just noticed this in game and was wondering if anyone had the same issue...
Yesterday I upgraded to Lion and this was the first time it occurred.

I have a wireless mouse and am having tracking issues as well. I have noticed that my issue only occurs when I hold Force-Stand Still.

My specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro8,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP81.0047.B27
SMC Version (system): 1.68f98
Edited by Pythagoras#1973 on 11/18/2012 12:33 PM PST
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
There are no drivers, for Macs, as such....

However, I do use ControllerMate with my Logitech, for use of macros and such....

No difference in gameplay with that active or inactive.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Thanks. I;ll send this information up to the team for review.
Reply Quote
75 Gnome Rogue
ControllerMate is system-wide software. I purchased it 3 years ago so that I could remap a few of the buttons on the mouse to keyboard functions like tab and the '=' key.

Before MoP I had none of these problems, and MoP has all the issues I've thus far reported even when ControllerMate is turned off.

I have to restate: There are far too many hardware/software configurations involved for the problem to be anywhere but with this newest Xpack.

Surely Blizzard is working on a patch..... maybe if we all believe really hard, like one must believe in faeries, everything will be resolved with the next software update.

I believe!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]