Diablo® III

Why do people hate vault?

85 Tauren Druid
I've been noticing a lot of people saying they don't like vault and SS > vault. I think they are equal and both have their benefits.

With smoke screen, you can still get cornered, but the breaking CC capability is amazing. Vault lets you vault through enemies if you happen to get cornered.

I think using both is the best way to go especially once you get the acrobatics rune to vault for free. Add in the tactical advantage passive rune, and you should be able to escape anything.
Reply Quote
I think the best thing I like about vault is that it lets me go through enemies straight to that health orb. And that with the stun rune it kept interrupting Diablo (normal mode).
Reply Quote
I switched from vault to smoke screen largely due to latency issues during the launch. My vault was activating up to 1 second after I pushed the hotkey where as smoke screen seems to never have a delay.

That being said, vault has its advantages. As stated, you can move right through enemies for health orbs, it costs less discipline and can be runed to stun and damage enemies.

That being said, I ultimately chose smoke screen because it can be activated during cc and allowed me to deal more effectively with some really difficult hell mode packs.

Smoke screen literally single handedly saved me against my first vortex/fire chain/invincible minion pack.
Reply Quote
Oh I didn't know vault went through enemies. o.o
I guess I'll have to equip both it and SS now lol.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Shaman
SS is redic compared to vault. For 5s you are immune to all damage, drop all agro, AND you can attack while it's up. Add in preparation and you have roughly 25-30s of immunity while attacking. Vault does not make you immune to damage and eats of that precious discipline that could be used for SS.
Reply Quote
Vault wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have a 0.5 secs pause before it.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
The thing that ive noticed with vault is when you hit it sometimes it goes back to the same spot. Which is caused by me spaming the button to gtfo the way from things but adding a gcd to the spell would make it so that wouldnt happen so easily.
Reply Quote
Used to have vault on my skill list but that split second delay got me killed a few times.
Reply Quote
I use vault and smoke screen, with the movement speed passive. My DH is a mobility DH. She's so versatile and mobile its amazing.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
I used vault at first, and while it does have its uses, I found smoke screen much more effective. It makes you immune to damage for the duration and breaks CC (fears, frozen, jailed, etc.). Paired with preparation, it lets you get out of worse situations than vault can.
Edited by Pythios87#1186 on 5/18/2012 7:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Should I feel bad for having both on my bars? I enjoy both mobility and threat reduction.

*Granted I might take vault off now, after I see that the half second delay was intended and not just a user side lag error.
Edited by Johngoc#1368 on 5/18/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Priest
Love the idea of vault but the delay has gotten me killed several times and when spamming hard to get out of an area it does "rebound" the DH back to the original spot, which is self-defeating. I did not play beta but did read the skills and I thought vault was going to be like Nightcrawlers teleport ability in the Activision X Men Legends series, which is very fluid and activates immediately upon pressing. I hope that they fix this in a patch. I am leaning more towards smoke screen now with shadow power. Overall, I am disappointed with my selection as a demon hunter and wish I had rolled a monk. In a group with a "tank”, the demon hunter is unrelentingly powerful. With this setup I can normally just sit back and cherry pick monsters. However, as a solo player it is horrible. Especially when you come up against fast moving creatures that just run right over the caltrops and roflstomp you into the ground. Demon hunters are very squishy in melee range and as of right now there does not seem to be enough cc ability to keep the swarms at a distance. Fixing the vault ability to make it more fluid and not rebound as well as making it cheaper to use would greatly improve this class.
Reply Quote
smoke screen plus shadow power is a nice combo if you want your health back up when its low then vaulting out of trouble :)
you wont need to rely on blood orbs so much :)
Reply Quote
View profile
SS is easymode. Most Diablo players are bad. Do the math.

Vault costs less discipline, but isn't as good for avoiding enemy damage/aggro. So a skilled player who doesn't need SS will be more efficient by using Vault. He will gain more mobility and have more discipline free for other skills.

PS: @ people using both. I did at first too. Then I realized that SS was saving me from a very very small number of potential deaths. Ultimately I decided I not getting enough out of it. If I happen to die once or twice because of this decision I won't really care. So far I haven't actually died due to lack of SS since then anyway.
Reply Quote
IMO vault takes higher/more precise micro skill.

In other words it's too hard. Same reason I play Protoss in SC2, and why I ran Melee cleave to gladiator in WoW. Going for what's easy.
Reply Quote
I use both Vault and SS, love the mobility and CC breaker.
Reply Quote
I've been using SS ever since I got it. I use it with the speed boosting rune, and I find it more useful than vault in a group. I also love the fact that the mobs get off you once you pop it. It's like I don't even use caltrops, SS could serve as my defense along with preparation.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
05/18/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Ktu
SS is redic compared to vault. For 5s you are immune to all damage, drop all agro, AND you can attack while it's up. Add in preparation and you have roughly 25-30s of immunity while attacking. Vault does not make you immune to damage and eats of that precious discipline that could be used for SS.
try 2 sec, not 5
Reply Quote
IMO vault takes higher/more precise micro skill.

In other words it's too hard. Same reason I play Protoss in SC2, and why I ran Melee cleave to gladiator in WoW. Going for what's easy.

i like your honesty heheh

im using both atm but im almost dropping vault, for the many reasons ppl already pointed out here.
Reply Quote
SS is easymode. Most Diablo players are bad. Do the math.

Vault costs less discipline, but isn't as good for avoiding enemy damage/aggro. So a skilled player who doesn't need SS will be more efficient by using Vault.

I'm interested in hearing how you avoid jails by being a skilled player. Genuine question.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]