Diablo® III

D3 Slows Down/Crawls in Sewers & Spider Cave

90 Undead Death Knight
I can also confirm this issue with on a
I7 860
Geforce 545 gt
8 gigs of ram
X-fi Titanium soundcard

Game is smooth as silk throughout everything else, Act II sewers and Aquaducts fps drops suddenly around the circular rooms with the stoneface water animation center. Then goes back up to normal fps. Changing the graphical settings for troubleshooting has no effect.
Reply Quote
All I can say is betweem the Act I spider cave, Act II sewers and Act IV when I come into contact with the blue water falls, my fps drops...hard.
BUMP
Reply Quote
same
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I see a common denominator here. There's a form of anti-aliasing that will "anti-alias" transparent textures, but it's a system hog to say the least.

For ATI users, that setting is the middle of the "Anti-Aliasing Mode" in Catalyst Control Center. "Adaptive Multi-Sample AA".

You should leave, or have the slider to the left so it reads "Multi-sample AA".
Reply Quote
You can try some of these tips out too:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en-us/forum/topic/5149619611

If anyone needs help just post in the above thread, I am trying to monitor it regularly. Request sticky on it as well please. I'm trying to help out the community since B is keeping us in the dark on this issue.
Reply Quote
Having the same problem - game slows to an unplayable crawl in certain areas. Turned down all graphical settings and even lowered resolution. No effect. Tried lowering the foreground FPS. Also no effect.

My comp isn't top of the line or anything, but it's decent.

This sucks.
Reply Quote
You guys are talking about the stuttering-ish slowdowns, like very frequent? If so, try disabling both of the Max FPS thingies in the options, I believe that it worked for me. This is where I found it, maybe you find some other of the solutions helpful: http://www.lightchan.com/fix-diablo-3-stuttering-graphics/

Edit: I take it back, the stuttering is still there... I will have to try the other fixes.
Edited by domdom#2316 on 5/24/2012 12:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have the same problem in same places. Sewers and spider cave lags very bad so its almost impossible to play. Also places with lots of fire lags pretty bad. Have tried everything and nothing seems to work. Cmon Blizz fix this! Would be great to have an option so you could turn water off or something.
Reply Quote
Deifinitely want an option to turn water effects off. Playiing in areas with water is really a pain.
Reply Quote
In my case just changed from LOW to NONE in Shadow feature.
Here: GF GT55M goes 4GB (2GB offboard and 2GB onboard) - laptop using 16GB ram DDR3 667.

Whent back to spider caves and little better then before, but not perfect as should be, if compared walking trought Tristan market.
Reply Quote
same problem. Game gets unplayable from act2 sewers onwards
Reply Quote
same problem here. even opened a ticket for it. believe it started AFTER the patch. all think the same? didn't have it before!!
Reply Quote
you, me and everyone else NOT playing on a $3000 gaming desktop...blizzard is simply ignoring the countless posts about it because they know it is their fault and don't know how long it will take for them to figure out a fix for it.

its like...if they say "we understand the issues concerning the sewers and aquaducts and will be implementing a patch in the coming days (weeks) to remedy the situation", you would have just as many posts, but now saying "blizzard where is the patch you promised".

it would be nice for them to atleast acknowledge the problem, but why would they...
Edited by chris#11774 on 5/25/2012 3:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Same, hope Blizz fixes this, brutal trying to solo through it on hell+
Reply Quote
This issue is caused by various particle and liquid effects in these areas. I encounter this problem in the first outdoor area in Act II where there's the effect of a lot of sand blowing around the environment. The Sewers have a lot of water effects; while the spider cave has a ton of lighting with all the eggs. All three of these will tax any video card to the maximum.

The most common causes of this issue is computer overheating, bad video drivers or weak video card that doesn't support the effects, and lack of usable ram. If you have more than 6 GB of Ram (4 GB available after Windows eats its mandatory 2 GB) you should be good on ram. Reinstalling video drivers and making sure that they are updated to the latest version will resolve any software corruption.

Overheating is the one issue that's hard to really test. It's also the most common and most overlooked cause especially in the cases of lap-tops. I recommend getting software monitor to watch the computers heat and check what the manufacturers recommended operating temp is. If it goes above the mean temperature then you'll experience a slowing of processing power out of the machine, making it work harder to do the same tasks, making it produce more heat, slowing it down further.
Edited by Killcannon#1147 on 5/26/2012 6:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
What ^^^^ guy said.
Reply Quote
This issue is caused by various particle and liquid effects in these areas. I encounter this problem in the first outdoor area in Act II where there's the effect of a lot of sand blowing around the environment. The Sewers have a lot of water effects; while the spider cave has a ton of lighting with all the eggs. All three of these will tax any video card to the maximum.

The most common causes of this issue is computer overheating, bad video drivers or weak video card that doesn't support the effects, and lack of usable ram. If you have more than 6 GB of Ram (4 GB available after Windows eats its mandatory 2 GB) you should be good on ram. Reinstalling video drivers and making sure that they are updated to the latest version will resolve any software corruption.

Overheating is the one issue that's hard to really test. It's also the most common and most overlooked cause especially in the cases of lap-tops. I recommend getting software monitor to watch the computers heat and check what the manufacturers recommended operating temp is. If it goes above the mean temperature then you'll experience a slowing of processing power out of the machine, making it work harder to do the same tasks, making it produce more heat, slowing it down further.

While this seems like a logical conclusion, which it could be, I run into the same lag in specific areas on my laptop which doesn't meet the specs (only due to an unsupported video card) and on a desktop that far exceeds the specifications. So, I'm not sure if that's really the reason. But like I said above, it could be, but I see that as unlikely.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest

Yes, dear, we know all that. That doesn't fix Blizzard's faulty coding, as many with top gaming rigs are having this issue inexplicably.
Reply Quote
Hi fellow players, i also have the same problem, lag when i enter vast areas and places where theres water, such as sewers etc, light effects like the village in act1 thats burning and demanding backgrounds such as heaven lvls and the other more areas alike..., besides those places, I GET EXCITED TO PLAY.. when im inside a dungeon or a house or a small town where theres few lights and fire effects, i have a pretty damn awesome experience with no lag and countless mob hording in at my toon, with great fps, all i ask, now again ALL I ASK... is not to make those things better and have that experience with those effects, for me i could care less, all i ask is that u allow us to turn those things off, giving a better flow of things, i wanna play this game with no lag, with the fps rate of when i enter the few places i said i had no lag (the dungeons and such mentioned above), again all i ask is consistency blizzard, thats all...i know my computer "to your standards" isnt great, but i can play this damn game, im sure of it, im not gonna sit here and say how my computer plays this or that alot better, i know all games are different and require different demands, but 7 years in the making, and honestly it isnt THAT different, sorry...so let us turn those things off and maybe stay a while and listen to what we have to say
Reply Quote
I'll add myself here. I've been working on trying to get this fixed for the past 2 days. Game is stuttering CRAZY at certain points in the game. I notice it most in Sewers, not the spider cave though. And then Act 3 where there is a ton of lighting effects, and Act 4 is a disaster at times too.

Smooth as silk in other areas. Changing resolution didn't help, though a combination of ALL the fixes people have posted has helped a little.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]