Diablo® III

I Lost All My Money and Items?

anyways found no error on the system scan, got the mobile dialup authendicator, replyed back and gave the okay for system restore, hopefully everything turns out okay, ive done all i can on my end, i still think its something wrong on their side but if its not i will do everything i can on my end.

hopefully the restore works as intended.
Happened to me also. Logged in this morning and my barbarian was naked, gold taken, and stash cleared out. Seems that this has happened to a lot of people. I sent a ticket and got the usual response and I said I did want a restoration 3 hours ago and still nothing back from them.

I did have a new name on my friends list also. His name is Synthix which I have no idea who he is.
I have people in the recent games played list that I know I haven't played with. So I guess I got hacked. But my friend had all his items gone when he logged on early today but after a quick relog all his gear and money returned.

What do you say to us who haven't given out any information, nor have we visited any phishing sites, and also to us who have done multiple scans on our machines to find any malicious files and found none. I guess we just gave our information to a ghost in our sleep that just so happen to find it's way to the culprit behind all this madness.

Like I said in the post below, malware bites isn't going to find anything if its diablo specific, because its TOO NEW.

Also, hacked has a very specific meaning. I doubt anyone has been hacked here.

Either you've got a keylogger, or you're using the same account name/password you use elsewhere, which is just dumb.

Get an authenticator.

No i was not using the same e-mail for d3 as i did on facebook or other websites...i have not visited any malicious site...my facebook account has very few friends on it, most are family members and i only get on to use it's im feature to talk with family members and friends that don't live close to me. I do not click on any links within facebook, i stay on my homepage. Knowing this are you sure you wish to be so arrogant towards all of us who have this problem?

EDIT - i seriously don't see how so many people could have this problem without there being a noticeable cause. I believe some of us may have shared information but it just seems unlikely, seeing as how most of us have the same people added as friends whom we've never met before.
Edited by Symbiote#1378 on 5/19/2012 3:16 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
Please, please read through the account security site, and if nothing else attach an authenticator to your account. Most of the mobile versions are free, and we sell the physical ones at cost.

http://www.battle.net/security/

Once you've taken all necessary precautions to protect your account, you'll need to contact our support department.

http://www.battle.net/support/article/contact

If your characters are missing, please double check what region you're logging in to by clicking on Options and checking under the Account section before logging in. There is a bug that may change what region you're defaulted to, and thus it may appears your characters are missing when in fact they're on a different region.
Edited by Bashiok on 5/19/2012 8:03 PM PDT
Just got off the phone with a representative. Unfortunately, the phone representatives aren't responsible for restoring any in-game items or currency (This role is reserved to the Game Masters of Diablo 3). However, she did say that my ticket was headed in the right direction and I should expect up to a 3 hour wait to hear a response.

Astonishingly, the response was hasty and a game master responded to my ticket and suggested a limited restoration and to get a authenticator (Mind you, if you have an iphone or update smartphone, this service is free). I responded that I wanted the restoration and I now currently wait for what happens. I did also clearly specify that I'd like the restoration to be just before the unauthorized access to my account was made.

We'll see what happens. But just a message to all those with this same problem, calling into Blizzard will not solve anything. Place a ticket in-game and explain your situation and await by email for a result.

EDIT: Do yourself a favor and get yourself an authenticator for your account. IT is very easy to set-up and use and only adds an extra 3-5 seconds to logging in. The added security will prevent any further occurrences such as these from happening again. If you dont have a smart phone for the free mobile app, the ~$6.95 purchase of a physical authenticator is more than worth it. It's for your security...Blizzard wouldnt offer it if it wasn't a secure and smart purchase.
Edited by Abscent#1866 on 5/19/2012 3:18 PM PDT
How are people seriously saying this is a securtiy issue and that all of these people got hacked for their items in 10 seconds. ( That was my case anyways - rolling restarts I logged RIGHT back ni to have all my gold missing, wasn't much so I didn't think much of it )

This is 100% a server issue and not we all got hacked at the exact same instant.

Like seriously. .
Blizzard Employee
How are people seriously saying this is a securtiy issue and that all of these people got hacked for their items in 10 seconds. ( That was my case anyways - rolling restarts I logged RIGHT back ni to have all my gold missing, wasn't much so I didn't think much of it )

This is 100% a server issue and not we all got hacked at the exact same instant.

Like seriously. .

If it is our customer service department will be able to verify that. Please contact them.
When I logged back in, there was a person on my friends list named Leiyong. This person was a level one monk. I joined the game and there were several people goin in and out of the game losing their gear and then leaving the game. That is when I sent my ticket in.

People are getting hacked. But it is a very large coincidence that this is all happening right after the service update from this morning, but I don't believe they have any correlation.
@Bashiok,
What are we supposed to do?

Phone support won't fix the situation.
Opening a ticket sounds like an advertisement to buy an authenticator.
All forms of security are reporting no problems.

The only solution is for Blizzard to sell an authenticator to users (I don't have a mobile phone)?

Will you offer a full refund on the authenticator when you realize that there's a bug in your AH? This would include the return shipping cost.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/19/2012 3:22 PM PDT
@Bashiok,

Phone support won't fix the situation.
Opening a ticket sounds like an advertisement to buy an authenticator.
All forms of security are reporting no problems.

The only solution is for Blizzard to sell an authenticator to users (I don't have a mobile phone)?

Will you offer a full refund on the authenticator when you realize that there's a bug in your AH? This would include the return shipping cost.

The authenticator is a sure-fire way to prevent incidents like this from occurring again. Open a ticket, explain your situation to customer service, and roll back your character. Blizzard isnt going to refund people money on the authenticator.

EDIT: I installed the authenticator after I was hacked this morning. It was the first time ive ever been hacked from playing a Blizzard game for the past 10 years. People don't think to get an authenticator unless it presents to be a problem. I recommend getting it and saving yourself any future issues. As you can see it does happen...prevent it from happening to you again.
Edited by Abscent#1866 on 5/19/2012 3:26 PM PDT
@Abscent,
Did you even read the thread? There are multiple people who had their account compromised and they have an authenticator.

Also if you read my longer post from a little bit ago:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149008104?page=12#232

You'll clearly see that there are ways to login as a user WITHOUT even knowing their password, AKA your authenticator will do NOTHING to stop it.

EDIT:
You edited your post, so I'm editing mine too. Do you see what happened here? You've never been hacked in 10+ years and now suddenly you were hacked in a brand new game and you've shelled out $ for an authenticator.

Your lack of knowledge on the subject (no offense) is costing you money. You just got tricked into buying something that's likely not going to help you.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/19/2012 3:28 PM PDT
Blizzard Employee
@Bashiok,

If you'd like assistance, contact our customer service department by submitting a ticket in the link I provided.
Yes lets all go buy authenticators on the premise all our accounts got hacked during server restarts.

Yes. Nothing fishy here.

Just buy the authenticator.
I lost everything in my chest, my inventory and all my money exept for a page that cannot be sell and the gear my char was wearing.

:(
Hackers have become very good at getting into accounts over the years. I've always been careful, using unique passwords for every game, always using mal-ware and virus scanners, never giving my username/password to anyone, including friends or family etc. In the past, when someone got hacked, I always assumed they were at fault.

That all changed several years ago when my WoW account - that had been inactive for over a year - got hacked. I only found out because I happened to be on Battle.net account management and noticed my WoW account was "Banned" for gold selling. I never bought or sold gold or items, never hired PL services, never clicked on the phishing E-mails. But I still got hacked anyway. Even though I didn't play WoW anymore, the situation really hit me hard. I felt violated and was really angry.

I still practice the security measures I always have, but I have since added an authenticator and made one other change: I bought a domain and setup a unique E-mail that I do not use for ANYTHING other than my game accounts. I have noticed that I never get scam E-mails on my new E-mail address and, more importantly, unlike a Hotmail or Google E-mail account, no one can attempt to hack this account by simply sending a quick E-mail to Hotmail or Google and trying for a password reset. Most of the stupid security questions needed for a password reset are things that any determined hacker could easily find out, like mothers maiden name or my place of birth.

And as others have said in this thread, even with every precaution on our end, there are still avenues that hackers can exploit to get your info server-side and there is nothing you can do about that.
@Bashiok,

If you'd like assistance, contact our customer service department by submitting a ticket in the link I provided.

I did, it's been open for 8 hours and every single rep told me to buy an authenticator or have my account rolled back to an UNKNOWN state. I can't even reply to the ticket because I added more than 5 items in the last 24 hours.

I don't care about the gold man. I just want to know that when I play, my account is not going to be stripped clean or dead (I play exclusively on hardcore).
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/19/2012 3:29 PM PDT
so.. who here actually has had a rollback done for them?

I did, it's been open for 8 hours and every single rep told me to buy an authenticator or have my account rolled back to an UNKNOWN state. I can't even reply to the ticket because I added more than 5 items in the last 24 hours.

I don't care about the gold man. I just want to know that when I play, my account is not going to be stripped clean or dead (I play exclusively on hardcore).

I also wanted to throw an edit in there, the way Blizzard has handled the launch adn eveything up till this point has been extremely disapointing with the release of this game.

Pretty disheartening

This, as was noted in the thread, users with authenticators were affected as well. I take this to mean this was not a security breach/flaw on the users side but more than likely on the provider not securing the data. How cna they be saying buy an authenticator to solve hte problem when people who already have authenticators have experienced it too.

Also I don't care about the gold either, I just want to know what is going on, instead of " oh you got phished - buy an authenticator " when it's pretty clear that is not what is going on.
Edited by FaiLTr33#1480 on 5/19/2012 3:34 PM PDT
One person reported they got a rollback earlier in the thread.

He dropped from level 26 to 12 and lost more than he got stolen from him then support told him they cannot undo the rollback.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]