Diablo® III

I Lost All My Money and Items?

The alexbad19 person I found on my friendslist is now online. Doesn't appear to be in a game.. Or at least I can't see it. Sent whisper got no response.
https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4209932465

Looks like the EU server is starting to have this problem too and the very first occurrence of it was from someone who uses an authenticator.
I'm so bummed out about this. Seems like a waste to start a new toon if it's just going to happen again.
Same thing here. I logged off for 5-6 hours after killing diablo in nightmare. Logged back in to see my stash, my 52 wizards inventory and my gold gone. That's it, which I find strange to be a hack because I have 5 other alts inventories filled with rares. Also my 52 wiz equipped stuff was all there as well. Which leads me to believe it was a error. Or it could be just a very strange specific glitch/hack.

Blizzard cs is investigating it now and I am Q'd up for a restore.
- Technical Support
View profile

I agree, but considering all of that, and the fact that it happened to so many people at the same time makes me think it's a bug. What do you think?

I think that many players are new to the concept of account compromise and the effects of gold theft/gold selling. There are a about a hundred or so accounts posting out of hundreds of thousands so far. This is comparable with WoW compromises. However, most WoW players knew about the compromises so were not as shocked when it happened. This is only a couple days from release so I don't blame them for posting here about missing items! It is a good chance to educate folks about why gold buying is bad and about how to handle computer and account security.
05/19/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Nema
I agree, but considering all of that, and the fact that it happened to so many people at the same time makes me think it's a bug. What do you think?

A bug doesn't lock you out of your account by changing passwords.
Yah your right it doesn't but it seems like the very small majority of ppl had their passwords changed ( read the people that did have their passwords changed I suspect were legitimately hacked/scammed/phished by someone and they are seperate from this issue ).
05/19/2012 06:44 PMPosted by Varcharten

A bug doesn't lock you out of your account by changing passwords.

That's something else I found suspicious, my password wasn't changed.
- Technical Support
View profile
https://eu.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/4209932465

Looks like the EU server is starting to have this problem too and the very first occurrence of it was from someone who uses an authenticator.

One player in here who said she had an authenticator posted elsewhere that it was the dial in one. Those are NOT recommended by Blues because they are not as secure. They do not always ask for the code. Also, we have no way of knowing if they had account security set to request Authenticator on every log in :/ The other player who said her WoW account was compromised with an authenticator said that they bad guys REMOVED it. While there are ways to compromise an account with the mobile or keyfob auth, it is very rare and takes a real time man in the middle attack due to the code only being good for 30 seconds.

Password changes take time and effort. They just want your gold right now and that is it. When they start wanting to use your account for spamming or something else they will change the password. That is the usual pattern anyway
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 5/19/2012 6:51 PM PDT
05/19/2012 06:48 PMPosted by Nema
That's something else I found suspicious, my password wasn't changed.

At first mine wasn't, but I logged back in, and the guy seeing that said "well damn, a live one" and went ahead and changed it.
Yah I'm just wondering though like I brought it up in the past. If this is somehow organized and they have been collecting logins for this purpose, why do it now? Why not hack everyone a month down the road when good items have been found, TONS of gold has been acccumulated. Right now it seems like a such a waste and they are completely wasting the potential profit they could of made if they had done it a couple months down the line.

Also I hold fast to the notion that diablo3 gold isnt that valuable, and arguably your WoW accounts are more valauble than the gold on your d3 characters. So why just take the gold and not the WoW stuff?

I dunno
@MissCheetah,
It's almost comical to see how you reply to these posts.

You somehow managed to type all that but decided to ignore the other 10 or so people who managed to lose their gold and items who weren't using the authenticator.

Then you go on about accusing all of us of gold buying. You really think the level 9 guys who lost 8k or whatever are gold buyers? You seriously believe that people who are rolling HC for their first time through are trying to buy gold 48 hours after buying the game?
- Technical Support
View profile
Right now D3 gold is probably a hot commodity esp with the AH. They are doing everything they can to get as much gold to sell as possible. Rest assured, they will continue doing this a few months down the road as well :(

fremd, I never accused ANYONE of gold buying! I said that those who buy gold are why bad guys are motivated to steal it. That is directly from Bliz blues btw. They have also stated that going to those sites are a good way to get compromised.
Edited by MissCheetah#1661 on 5/19/2012 6:58 PM PDT
76 Undead Hunter
This is an amazing feature! getting hacked in a single player game! OMG AWESOME SAUCE!
05/19/2012 06:44 PMPosted by MissCheetah
It is a good chance to educate folks about why gold buying is bad and about how to handle computer and account security.

This sounds like you're accusing us of all buying gold and try to come off as some type of security expert who apparently has played a lot of WoW?

How can that be perceived in any other way.
05/19/2012 06:56 PMPosted by fremd
You really think the level 9 guys who lost 8k or whatever are gold buyers? You seriously believe that people who are rolling HC for their first time through are trying to buy gold 48 hours after buying the game?

You know what I think? I think whoever did this didn't do this to get rich, in game or IRL, but more to piss off a lot of people.
He had access to account info, info from people who have no links to each other. A long list of account names and passwords, possibly all of them, who knows.
I think it's either a hacker or a frustrated Blizzard employee.
15 Human Warrior
The way I see it, if one does not take a active or aggressive role in securing thier computer and expect companies to do it for them, then they deserved to be hacked as a lesson. I do not expect Blizzard to make my computer secure, However even with the best suite one can still get hacked but being active makes it harder. Hackers rather concentrate on a easy target than a hard target. As far as Blizzard goes, I hope they can resolve their issues so we can move on.

@Failtree, there is nothing weird about my post and as far blaming the user in some instances it can be attributed to the user and I never said all users. I was referring to the other problems Blizzard is having.

@Fremd, No everyone is not an idiot, I never had my accounts hacked(knock on wood) and I leave my virus scans running and never had to disable them to play a program. the chances of one system getting hacked can also be attributed to the level of one's expertise in computers and security. If one system gets hacked and they did not take the necessary precautions to securing thier system, they are just naive about how to protect their system and lessen the chace for intrsion. Also not all suites are equal
Edited by shagg#1388 on 5/19/2012 11:12 PM PDT
05/19/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Varcharten
You really think the level 9 guys who lost 8k or whatever are gold buyers? You seriously believe that people who are rolling HC for their first time through are trying to buy gold 48 hours after buying the game?

You know what I think? I think whoever did this didn't do this to get rich, in game or IRL, but more to piss off a lot of people.
He had access to account info, info from people who have no links to each other. A long list of account names and passwords, possibly all of them, who knows.

It's too big to be some plan of a douche somewhere. My bet is a huge bug.
05/19/2012 07:03 PMPosted by Varcharten

If he wanted to piss people off he would of deleted everyone's characters also.
05/19/2012 07:08 PMPosted by Dalen
The way I see it, if one does not take a active or aggressive role in securing thier computer and expect companies to do it for them, then they deserved to be hacked as a lesson. I do not expect Blizzard to make my computer secure, However even with the best suite one can still get hacked but being active makes it harder. Hackers rather concentrate on a easy target than a hard target. As far as Blizzard goes, I hope they can resolve their issues so we can move on.

Such a weird post, in the begiining of it it seems like you are blaming the users for not securing themselves, but finish the post indicating you think this is a bug within Blizzards system. Which is it ?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]