Diablo® III

I Lost All My Money and Items?

You got compromised with an authenticator attached to your account?

Sounds like you should get in touch with support right away and provide some really good details, because that's happened literally one time since authenticators were introduced.

actually their has been a bout a dozen almost confirmed cases of it happening

I've been around since they were introduced, and there was one confirmed case that I heard of, involving a fake client for WoW (the only reliable way to actually compromise an account with an authenticator). Most people claiming to have been compromised with an authenticator attached to the account were found to be lying.

Dorotan: the game isn't being hacked. People's computers are.

actually their has been a bout a dozen almost confirmed cases of it happening

I've been around since they were introduced, and there was one confirmed case that I heard of, involving a fake client for WoW (the only reliable way to actually compromise an account with an authenticator). Most people claiming to have been compromised with an authenticator attached to the account were found to be lying.

i recall a few years ago reading the forums and blues responding and stating their was a handful of confirmed cases and i know that about 6 months ago their was suposedly another couple cases no idea how true the ones from 6 months ago are though

i recall a few years ago reading the forums and blues responding and stating their was a handful of confirmed cases and i know that about 6 months ago their was suposedly another couple cases no idea how true the ones from 6 months ago are though

There may have been a few more, but either way, we're talking about a handful of people, hit with a very specific compromise.

The authenticator isn't foolproof, but it's really, really, really, really hard and time-consuming to beat.
The cold hard truth is this.

If someone can login to my account and steal my stuff at any point in time (or kill my HC chars if they wanted) and blizzard will not do anything to stop/prevent/fix this (limited restorations / buggy restorations) then how on earth can we enjoy playing the game?

It means they can login to your account too, or anyone's. Rollbacks are also death in a game like D3. The entire game is finding items. If you lose a sick 1 in a billion rare from a rollback then you essentially lost all reason to play the game.
The cold hard truth is this.

If someone can login to my account and steal my stuff at any point in time (or kill my HC chars if they wanted) and blizzard will not do anything to stop/prevent/fix this (limited restorations / buggy restorations) then how on earth can we enjoy playing the game?

It means they can login to your account too, or anyone's. Rollbacks are also death in a game like D3. The entire game is finding items. If you lose a sick 1 in a billion rare from a rollback then you essentially lost all reason to play the game.

First of all, I've taken steps (including authenticator) to make sure that my account is as secure as possible. So while these people can log in to my account, I'm doing everything I can to make sure they won't.

Blizzard is already doing everything they can to stop/prevent this by offering restorations, authenticators, and a whole host of security failsafes. That said, they can't stand over your shoulder and smack you when you do something to compromise your own security. 100% of account compromises are clientside. Period. Blizzard can't be held responsible for that, and you should be grateful they offer the restoration services at all (most other companies don't even bother getting your account back for you).

There may have been a few more, but either way, we're talking about a handful of people, hit with a very specific compromise.

The authenticator isn't foolproof, but it's really, really, really, really hard and time-consuming to beat.

agreed

i just know bout a week or so ago people where actually arguing with me on the forums about how authenticators are fool poor and not hackible and its never been done and on top of that no one is going to hack your diablo account
so i woke up this morning to see 156Kgold gone majority of my rares gone gems gone. this sounds like everyone else >.> broke which doctor wants his money back
05/19/2012 07:30 AMPosted by Xzenith
so i woke up this morning to see 156Kgold gone majority of my rares gone gems gone. this sounds like everyone else >.> broke which doctor wants his money back

Broke witch doctor should submit a ticket and secure his computer.
@Xzenith,
Are there any unfamiliar people in your "recent friends" list?
Sigh, now we also have possible hacking issues on top of the other problems happening recently.

I am considering getting an authenicator as it seems standard blizzard security software might not be up to the task.

Blizzard security software is on their end, not yours.
Ha! Lack of " lack of security" you have no idea who i am. I have been playing online games for Years And never had a problem before with my "Security" With Any online game! Not Even with any of my Diablo 2 accounts some over 7 years Old! and they Game had more hacks/bots/Exploits Or whatever else you wana call them!

But with a Brand new game only being out for 2 days prior to this happening to me you think its my fault?
As far as Security goes on this account. I have a 10 digits Random Password with both Numbers and letters, AND! the Blizz Authenticator On my HTC Evo Shift Android phone. AND! SmS Txt Messing!!!! But i Still got "Hack" Right......

Sounds like you should get in touch with support right away and provide some really good details, because that's happened literally one time since authenticators were introduced.

Not true at all, I alone get my wow account hacked 2 times with an authenticator on it.. The hackers get your email, then they email blizzard support telling them an authenticator was maliciously added to your account. and they just remove it. then they proceed to clear out your charactors. (which ironically is exactly how I had to get my account back)

Problem is they don't ask for you secret question answers at all during this. and even then, hacking facebook could potentially give them the answers in some cases.

this was about 3 years ago, I had the authenticator on my droid. I don't even bother with authenticators anymore, its a huge hassle and did nothing to protect me. There is litterly nothing you can do to stop it. I never found a virus, yet they got into my email, Facebook, and Wow account.

The real kicker? I was playing SC2 at the time. I didnt even play wow anymore. I think they conveinently got me as my subscription was about to expire.

Perhaps it had something to do with facebooks security, or lack of. You use your email address to log into facebook, and maybe thats where the hackers start. Passing along some facebook fad like "your birthday song" and once you click "allow" they get you good. who knows.
Edited by Mikeyy#1724 on 5/19/2012 7:54 AM PDT
View profile
05/19/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Tyrone
You guys should stop downloading "dupe hacks" etc

Not true at all, I alone get my wow account hacked 2 times with an authenticator on it.. The hackers get your email, then they email blizzard support telling them an authenticator was maliciously added to your account. and they just remove it. then they proceed to clear out your charactors. (which ironically is exactly how I had to get my account back)

Problem is they don't ask for you secret question answers at all during this. and even then, hacking facebook could potentially give them the answers in some cases.

this was about 3 years ago, I had the authenticator on my droid. I don't even bother with authenticators anymore, its a huge hassle and did nothing to protect me. There is litterly nothing you can do to stop it. I never found a virus, yet they got into my email, Facebook, and Wow account.

The real kicker? I was playing SC2 at the time. I didnt even play wow anymore. I think they conveinently got me as my subscription was about to expire.

Yours is an outlier case. I've never heard of anyone else not having the secret question asked when they tried to remove an authenticator without having the codes.
Like i said before, and you all are just confirming this for me..
Its a Blizzard Problem Most likely and not a Hacking problem...
I have the authenticator And SmS Txt Alerts, and i still had everything on 1 toon missing....
Nothing on the other low lvl 1 toons i was using as mules was missing Just my lvl 26.
So i think its a Blizz Bug that they wont admit too.

Besides why bother "hacking" a lvl 26 with nothing more then 60K in gold and A Few yellows and Blue items????

You could be a unique case, but hacker behavior isn't exactly predictable.

Did you submit a ticket?

Blizzard security software is on their end, not yours.

Got avast antivirus, ad-aware, iobit systemcare and Zonealarm firewall. Yes, i take good care of my computer.

Not sure if iobit is for malware, but you need something for that. And anyone who knows security knows that nothing is foolproof. Get an authenticator.

You are responsible for your system security, not Blizzard. The hacking is not happening on their end.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]