Diablo® III

I Lost All My Money and Items?

05/19/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Omirag
Ignorance would be a company that knows they have a product that will be hacked and not doing more to secure their customers. If this is such an obvious issue to you then the company should have paid more mind and made sure their customers took all necessary steps to be secure and safe in the online environment they made. The only ignorance is feigning that this is the customers fault for thinking a company had done all it could to secure it's customers. If having the authenticator is the only way to not be "ignorant" in your eyes, then I am dumbfounded by how the company that has created this game has not made it terribly obvious that it is required to have it. I was informed about the authenticator after I was hacked, and then had to find the tiny link on their page that let me activate it. That is gross negligence on blizzards fault and not mine to be frank.

Blizzard is not and cannot be responsible for their players' security habits. It's not only irrational to expect that, it's impossible for them to do.

I did none of what your saying Not a single thing.. So..... Whats your excuse now?

What AV/anti-malware programs are you running? Are you absolutely sure you've never gone to a questionable site or any site claiming to be battle.net? Do you have an authenticator?
05/19/2012 09:39 AMPosted by Nerevarine
Ignorance would be a company that knows they have a product that will be hacked and not doing more to secure their customers. If this is such an obvious issue to you then the company should have paid more mind and made sure their customers took all necessary steps to be secure and safe in the online environment they made. The only ignorance is feigning that this is the customers fault for thinking a company had done all it could to secure it's customers. If having the authenticator is the only way to not be "ignorant" in your eyes, then I am dumbfounded by how the company that has created this game has not made it terribly obvious that it is required to have it. I was informed about the authenticator after I was hacked, and then had to find the tiny link on their page that let me activate it. That is gross negligence on blizzards fault and not mine to be frank.

Blizzard is not and cannot be responsible for their players' security habits. It's not only irrational to expect that, it's impossible for them to do.

I did none of what your saying Not a single thing.. So..... Whats your excuse now?

What AV/anti-malware programs are you running? Are you absolutely sure you've never gone to a questionable site or any site claiming to be battle.net? Do you have an authenticator?

How is it irrational to think a company could make a suggestion to use a product they made to make sure you are safe before you are hacked and not after? Seems you are way to far down the rabbit hole sir.

You said it someone else, so I'm assuming you'd say it to everyone. And how can my account not be compromised in-game, if this only occured after some random showed up on my BL?

The random friend being added indicates that your account was already compromised. The person in control of the account could have added their dummy account through another Battle.net game (like, I'll take a wild guess, Starcraft), while you were logged on to Diablo III. Once you log off, they log on and take your stuff.

They did not, however, get your information in-game.

So you're telling me, that instead of logging me off my account (like they did this morning) they had to wait to log on? Right..
05/19/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Omirag

How is it irrational to think a company could make a suggestion to use a product they made to make sure you are safe before you are hacked and not after? Seems you are way to far down the rabbit hole sir.

They already do make suggestions, and provide support pages, and provide a 24-hour Support Ticket system for all players. They provide restorations. They provide authenticators that they sell at cost (or give away on mobile devices). Blizzard does more than enough to help players secure their accounts, and they don't have to do any of that.

I mean, seriously. Do you know the only other place you'll see authenticators like this? Banks. That's how secure they are.

The random friend being added indicates that your account was already compromised. The person in control of the account could have added their dummy account through another Battle.net game (like, I'll take a wild guess, Starcraft), while you were logged on to Diablo III. Once you log off, they log on and take your stuff.

They did not, however, get your information in-game.

So you're telling me, that instead of logging me off my account (like they did this morning) they had to wait to log on? Right..

I'm really confused about the sequence of events you've experienced (because you haven't been clear), but you really should be scanning your computer for malware and securing your system instead of insisting that it was gremlins.
On my Level 48 hardcore monk my gold isn't gone, my 3 best items are not gone, and I do not have any unknown recent people played with or friends added.

Anyone wanna explain why, if I got hacked, they would not take my gold or my best items?
On my Level 48 hardcore monk my gold isn't gone, my 3 best items are not gone, and I do not have any unknown recent people played with or friends added.

Anyone wanna explain why, if I got hacked, they would not take my gold or my best items?

We don't know the nature of the exploit. It could be as simple as buying an item on the AH from a person who has access to the exploit. If you have not bought something from "these people" then you will probably be fine.

It's not like someone just got access to the entire auth db and is sorting it by player level to see who to attack.
05/19/2012 09:49 AMPosted by Razor
Nerevarine, are you a blizzard employee by any chance? cause you do sure sound like one.

I know, I know. Anyone who likes the game or doesn't use the word "fanboy" every other sentence must work for Blizzard. Do go on...
i had this same issue, all my money across all characters, and all my items from my stash was gone. i didnt have nearly as much as everyone else here claims to have had, i had a little over 20k and a stash full of typical magic items and a few rares that i was saving for another of my characters. i was also doing blood and sand in act II and it had reset me back to the first quest (but i could reselect later quests but had to restart them). i havent played any public games or with anyone i dont know in real life, and i havent bought anything from the AH.

seriously, how hard is it to run this game? the same company that manages WoW and you cant handle this?
Edited by Tenro#1810 on 5/19/2012 9:56 AM PDT

We don't know the nature of the exploit. It could be as simple as buying an item on the AH from a person who has access to the exploit. If you have not bought something from "these people" then you will probably be fine.

It's not like someone just got access to the entire auth db and is sorting it by player level to see who to attack.

Please stop spreading misinformation.

The type of compromise you are describing is completely impossible.
i had this same issue, all my money across all characters, and all my items from my stash was gone. i didnt have nearly as much as everyone else here claims to have had, i had a little over 20k and a stash full of typical magic items and a few rares that i was saving for another of my characters. i was also doing blood and sand in act II and it had reset me back to the first quest (but i could reselect later quests but had to restart them). i havent played any public games or with anyone i dont know in real life, and i havent bought anything from the AH.

seriously, how hard is it to run this game? the same company that manages WoW and you cant handle this?

Create a support ticket. Secure your computer. Get an authenticator.
don't know how to recognize social engineering, get all your things stolen or buy an authenticator.

What 3rd party addons are you running?

Been to any black market sites recently?
I'm not spreading misinformation, I was giving a reasonable explanation why he wasn't affected. The intentions of his post were pretty clear, he was saying he's a high level with valuable stuff but hasn't been hacked.

Just insta blaming it on users is ridiculous. There's threads popping up all over where people are losing their gold and items. There's also achievements that have been lost.

There's -clearly- a problem with the game.
05/19/2012 09:59 AMPosted by MageProto
lets say it is hacked why whould they hit on a saturday? makes no scence as people are gonna be home and playing. a few will be working but the vast majority will be playing and if you did plan this from months out you have hte patience to wait till people have GOOD stuff on the account before making your move (2weeks to 1 month at the least?) so i highly doubt this is a well planed out assoult using stealth and cunning, but more akin to a hicup or a snach-n-grab (as in someone found an exploit thats easly patchable once know and is making there move now now now) as i did about 5 minutes before i went to the bathroom got a screaming deal on a uni off the HC ah (1500 gold for +15% mf and +8% attack speed +4hp on hit) i have a feeling its more a AH expoilt than anything else.

Exploits don't attack other people's accounts and steal their stuff. Account compromises do.

Are you talking about what I said? Or what he said in response to what I said?

If you're talking about the AH being able to be exploited, than you are mistaken and the guy above is correct in thinking it's possible. Not saying that's what happened (though I've used the AH). Just that it's happened in other games before.
Edited by FriskyFerret#1375 on 5/19/2012 10:04 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]