Diablo® III

Malthael, Archangel of Wisdom

I want to expand on the little loose end blizzard left for us in Diablo 3.

In the absence of the Prime Evils, the world is thrown out of balance. Malthael, who quit the Angiris Council, decides this imbalance is not wise and sets out to restore balance between the powers of Heaven and Hell.

I want to do an illustration of Malthael as a fallen archangel. I'll post my progress here because I would love to hear your feedback and ideas!
Edited by Ghtoast#1405 on 5/19/2012 11:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I support this and also I think you called their next story..
Reply Quote
Definitely betting on Malthael becoming the Archangel of Death. I'm actually betting on a Death theme for the next expansion.

In fact, I'm betting that Malthael will not only come back as Archangel of Death, he will take out Itherael, leaving Fate shattered for ever.
Edited by MadDogMitch#1602 on 5/20/2012 1:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Haha, I don't know how they'll spin it, but after taking a closer look at the concept art I'm pretty sure Malthael will be a villain in the expansion. He's totally got villain designed into him: Asymmetry, cloak, sickles!

Okay here's the first sketch: http://i.imgur.com/1IIWg.jpg
Reply Quote
Not bad.
Reply Quote
05/20/2012 07:19 AMPosted by Jiraiya
Not bad.

Not bad? It's amazing!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
It's a great idea and I also thought that's the twist they'd take. If I can provide some feedback for your art, personally, I think he needs to keep the hooded look. If he's going to be the Archangel, then being the Archangel of Death would go perfectly with him, which needs a hood like the Grim Reaper.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
I'm not sure about his face. In my opinion it should be more sharp and narrow.
Reply Quote
Awesome first sketch! I can't wait to see you progress toward the final product.
Reply Quote
You know, I've been calling Malthael "Malthas" for a while now, and I have no idea why...
Reply Quote
Why does he have a face? None of the other Archangels have faces.
Reply Quote
Ooo, nice. Think you nailed the next expansion's plot.
Reply Quote
Imagine Malthael, the Death horseman/harbinger of the apocalypse! I like where this thread is going :)
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 06:30 PMPosted by Kurtssingh
I'm not sure about his face. In my opinion it should be more sharp and narrow.

Archangels don't have faces.... Haven't you beaten D3 yet?

Haha, I don't know how they'll spin it, but after taking a closer look at the concept art I'm pretty sure Malthael will be a villain in the expansion. He's totally got villain designed into him: Asymmetry, cloak, sickles!

I honestly don't like the horns.
Edited by mizredavni#1138 on 5/24/2012 3:37 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback!

Here's an update: http://i.imgur.com/M9rsN.jpg

The biggest change is to the mask. The reason why there's a mask there is because I thought it made the picture more interesting, but its also true that it becomes less clear that he is an angel from the diablo universe. I looked for a compromise, maybe it works now.

Next big change is that the demon horde is now a fallen angel horde.... :)
Reply Quote
Hey guys, thanks for all the feedback!

Here's an update: http://i.imgur.com/M9rsN.jpg

The biggest change is to the mask. The reason why there's a mask there is because I thought it made the picture more interesting, but its also true that it becomes less clear that he is an angel from the diablo universe. I looked for a compromise, maybe it works now.

Next big change is that the demon horde is now a fallen angel horde.... :)
Idk if any angels left with Malthael I think it was just him. If I had to guess what kind of enemies he would use I would probably expect him to fill the power vacuum that resulted in the absence of the prime evils and control the demons
Edited by Xenedus#1939 on 5/24/2012 4:51 AM PDT
Reply Quote
look at his concept art....hes skinny...looks like Grim Reaper...also look at his weapons...its psyche!!
Reply Quote
05/23/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Nebo
Imagine Malthael, the Death horseman/harbinger of the apocalypse! I like where this thread is going :)

I really wish they would bring the four horsemen into the Diablo lore. I could definitely see Malthael convincing Imperius to discharge his role of valor and becoming one of the first two horsemen.
Reply Quote
it is already clear to me who the next antagonist in the expansion will be...here's a hint....Impxxxxx
Reply Quote
Definitely betting on Malthael becoming the Archangel of Death. I'm actually betting on a Death theme for the next expansion.

In fact, I'm betting that Malthael will not only come back as Archangel of Death, he will take out Itherael, leaving Fate shattered for ever.

Indeed, the prophecy from the book of cain wasn't fully fulfilled in D3 so far and they have been foreshadowing his fall since the Sin War trilogy...

Nice work! What are you using to do that?
Edited by Scorch#1428 on 5/25/2012 3:43 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]