Diablo® III

Hacked with an authenticator

(Locked)

Change your region settings back to the Americas.
I have to say i'm one of the few blizzard did in fact restore.
However, i would also like to add it was at the cost of about 10 hours of gameplay.
Hmmmm. I think in Firefox there is a way, alas I cant Have third party programs where I am currently. As long as you never, allow passwords saved, or cookies i think thats ok. But its still strange how this exploit was undertaken.

Further information would be greatly appreciated.
85 Tauren Paladin
Good security knowledge will always be lacking in the average user, and thus stolen accounts.

Never enter your info on other sites.

Never click links to an "official site", just type the url in.

Don't share your password or other info with your friends.

6+ years of no hacked account with Blizzard.

27 years of no hacked account online...

I fit all those, including 27 years of no hacked accounts, and my account has been compromised.

BTW I am a Network Administrator / Linux Systems Administrator, I think I know how to make and keep safe passwords.

Yeah, Our Security admin thought something similar until I found his unsecured mobile device on the network with all of his personal pictures, videos and music for the entire world to see.

Nobody is 100% secure.
Its now 2 days and still NO restore for me..
WAY to go Blizzard!!!
Ill be sure to relay the "GREAT" support youre giving
Well you can be 100 percent secure its just there are so many potential points where someone who knows what they are doing can try to hack an account and so many ways. Not to mention all the software involved. Windows XP is a mess if your still using that you need to move to move to windows 7 which is much safer.
seriously. Keep the trolling out. Immaturity will not help people solve these issues.

RAC i will report you for trolling.
If you thought an authenticator guaranteed your account protection, you are delusional.

Authenticators were designed to add a layer of protection not be the ultimate protection. Besides, you should change your password periodically and enable the requirement of an authentication code every time you enter the game. That makes it much harder to hack your account, on top of that many people lack common sense for account security. Don't share your account information with anyone! No family, friends, and especially not someone you meet online.
Whether it be WoW or the RMAH issues I'm sure will arise, it is 9 out of 10 times the fault of the user. Don't participate in and use services from 3rd party sites since it will just come back to bite you in the !@# later. Buying gold, honor, and such in WoW only sets you up to get ripped off later in order for that business to provide goods to others. The RMAH is designed to protect the players from these sites, however, I wouldn't doubt some issues will still arise. Your responsible for keeping your account information confidential.

If you have a virus such as a trojan then you'll have bigger issues to handle, besides what happens with a Blizzard product. You'll have to ensure your computer not infected and you didn't leak any account information. From time to time, yes you'll encounter situations where the hacking occurred due to circumstances beyond your control, but they are much rarer occurrences.
Assuming Blizzard has already looked into the matter and found nothing wrong on their end, it has to be an issue on your end. Contacting Blizzard for issues like this would be my last resort after I've determined it was not a fault on my part. Customer Support does not enjoy getting yelled at all day, it isn't their fault so stop taking out your rage on them.
Edited by Necrosis#1475 on 5/20/2012 10:51 PM PDT
85 Tauren Shaman

10 bucks says he has "Don't authenticate everytime" enabled in his account settings.

Actually, that's the default. The checkbox actually says "require authentication every time you log in", and I don't know when they put it in there, but it was unchecked until I checked it.
85 Tauren Shaman
Heh. Many years ago, at a Navy IT conference, I had a conversation with a Navy LT who worked at NSA. One comment on the subject of security that he made still stands out in my memory: "If we had our way, there wouldn't be any users". :-)
Again have you checked your region in the options.. its gotten changed for a lot of people..
this all on Blizzard - i was hacked today as well...
only other game i have on battlenet is SCII..
i dont have any in-game friends listed in D3 or SCII, i only play for SP..

my computer is not hacked nor is it infected..

i have MBAM(malwarebytes) & SAS (superAntiSpyware) full protection running at all times..
i run TDSSKILLER (you dont know what that is - google it) 3-5 times a week..
and i run kaspersky AV....
so i dont have any trojans or keyloggers or rootkits on my PC

my firewall is, just that a firewall nobody is getting through that..
looking at the logs am seeing the same DOS attacks i've been getting for years..
and nothing has gotten through..
i've never been hacked nor has any of my PC's been infected..

this isnt end-user negligence this is all on Blizzard plain and simple...
I see alot of complaints, but not anyone who has tried any of the suggestions in the thread which have fixed the issues for alot of people its like if "blizzard" hasn't said it it isn't a fix.

GO INTO YOUR OPTIONS BEFORE LOGGING ON AND MAKE SURE YOU'RE IN THE RIGHT REGION.

Sorry for caps.
85 Tauren Paladin
Man this reminds me of the "Make love not warcraft" episode of south park.

Maybe the reason for them not doing restores of everyone, is because there would be so much gold in the market. Then all the hackers have to do, is buy items on the AH with gold - then sell those items for real money.

Although blizzard could then track down who the money is being cashed out to.

10 bucks says he has "Don't authenticate everytime" enabled in his account settings.

Actually, that's the default. The checkbox actually says "require authentication every time you log in", and I don't know when they put it in there, but it was unchecked until I checked it.

And why would that matter anyway? The authenticator is meant to know when a iregular PC is trying to login to your account.
Edited by Avenger#1483 on 5/20/2012 11:25 PM PDT
I was logged off for less than 30 minutes, came back online and all my things are gone. All my gold/gears, everything from my storage is gone.

Is there anything I can do?
I've never posted my info anywhere so how can this happen?
already did that.. its set correctly..

should have pointed out in my first thread- before i was hacked i just started ACT II- but now am at ACT IV and fighting Diablo - in the pinnacle of heaven.. now i dont know if you can jump acts, maybe you can.. i dont know.. but i didnt.. my guy wasnt even strong enough to warrant the curiosity..

and this is my first play through..

Yeah, Our Security admin thought something similar until I found his unsecured mobile device on the network with all of his personal pictures, videos and music for the entire world to see.

Nobody is 100% secure.

The price of security is eternal vigilance. Any smart admin gets that through their head, and puts their hubris on the shelf.

Is there anything I can do?
I've never posted my info anywhere so how can this happen?
Either you got bugged, or you've gotten keylogged. You post your info everytime you log in, which is how keyloggers work. They record, and send that to a 3rd party who ninja's your stuff.
View profile
By the way, most keyloggers are never on your computer. The most common way people get hacked is by using the same email and password for battlenet that they've used for anything else, like making an account on a guild or diablofan website. These websites get easily "keylogged" and a list of anyone that's typed in an email and password is automatically sent down to china.

I was so glad I had the paranoia to make a separate throw-away email for anything I sign up for. Had hopped on the gmail I'd made several months later and saw the last ip addys to connect to it were all from china. Thank gosh I didn't use my Blizzard-Only email/password.

Now all of that said after reading this thread and the tech forums, it sounds like Blizzard was compromised directly. Unless everyone that's been hacked has also visited diablofans or some other major website which may be compromised.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]