Diablo® III

Hacked with an authenticator

(Locked)

He probably doesnt have it set. I don't have mine set, but I guess to play it safe I will turn it on for game logins as well.
Dunno if anyone else noticed, but it only asked one time for my auth key, and I've logged in hundreds of times. this is the reason people are hacking your account - you get malware, you're too lazy to keep your system scanned and secure, so you rely on the key. The key isn't being asked when logging into accounts, and now you've just lost your stuff.

Lesson learned I hope.
I do not have a smartphone to use an authenticator with, I also spent all my spare money to buy Diablo III, so I do not have the extra money to purchase an authenticator for PC. (Side note: if it's so completely incredibly easy for someone to obtain my gibberish, alphanumeric+symbols password and hack my account that it's basically REQUIRED to play the game, why is an authenticator not provided for free by Blizzard?)

Regardless, I'm very dilligent about security concerns and I know for a fact that I have not entered in my account information outside of Battle.net and the actual Diablo 3 game -- I have not recieved any sort of message or anything directing me to a phishing site, but even if I did I am dilligent enough to know how to avoid being phished.

Nor have I downloaded any sort of program recently that could be a trojan or keylogger; in fact, go ahead and have a list of all of the executable content I have downloaded since the start of April.

a Google Chrome update (downloaded directly through Chrome from Google)
Keyboard/mouse drivers from Logitech (confirmed to be from Logitech's actual website)
a newly-purchased game from Steam by a major publisher
Diablo III (from Battle.net, of course)

I also keep my computer up-to-date with antivirus and antimalware programs.

Regardless, that said, all my items and gold have been stolen and a player has mysteriously added themselves to my friends list.

This has got to be an exploit.
Edited by Hinchy#1160 on 5/20/2012 2:19 PM PDT
05/20/2012 02:14 PMPosted by Seraphi
Nope, you don't have an auth. Nice try.

10 bucks says he has "Don't authenticate everytime" enabled in his account settings.

+1
They should just add an authenticator with each game purchase. Been playing online heavily since T1 in the 98 and have never had any game account compromised till today. This is including the multiple MMORPGs dating back all the way to EQ 1.

If fanboys and GM's are going to cry "authenticator!" each time then just make it standard and mandatory.
Edited by Slayix#1930 on 5/20/2012 2:21 PM PDT
Wait, wait, you're implying that Diablo 3 gets a 0/10 because you got hacked by someone else / a third party. That's some pretty big bull !@#$.

I can understand if it was on blizzards end and you were upset because you lost all of your progress but come on, that's like giving your favorite game ever a 0/10 because someone came into your house and deleted your save.
Wait, wait, you're implying that Diablo 3 gets a 0/10 because you got hacked by someone else / a third party. That's some pretty big bull !@#$.

I can understand if it was on blizzards end and you were upset because you lost all of your progress but come on, that's like giving your favorite game ever a 0/10 because someone came into your house and deleted your save.

Go read the multiple threads on this in the tech support forum. It definitively seems like it could possibly be Blizzards fault. Or at least part Blizzards fault. He's not the only one with an authenticator to get hacked since yesterday.

Going off forum posts this seems to have hit hundreds/thousands just last night. I can't see any possible way to hack that many accounts without some kind of security leak. 1-2 guys getting hacked is one thing. Multiple threads with multiple pages each with the same problem is another whole issue.
Edited by Slayix#1930 on 5/20/2012 2:24 PM PDT
xamire: That isn't the issue. Do you honestly believe that suddenly hundreds if not thousands of people all let the same malware into their computers and had everything taken within a matter of hours?

I use 3 different virus scanners. I don't get caught by phishing or other e-mail scams. I haven't downloaded anything since D3. I use different passwords for different things and my passwords consist of both letters and numbers.

This is an exploit. Yes everyone was hacked. We were all hacked. But it seems incredibly likely it was due to some security exploit on blizzards end.
thread 0/10

would not read again
A good really hacker will allow the Anti-malware and Anti-Virus to still look like they are operating. But they will not opertate as intended. It happened to my roommates computer. We run the same software and his said it was up to date but when we tried to change some of the options it would totally ignore him and say it was working as intended. My advice is get some professional help or completely re-do your computer software from the ground up. If this is a gaming rig strictly used for gaming, re-doing it will be the cheapest and fastest method. FYI.

"Edit" Spelling
Edited by Soulstomper#1513 on 5/20/2012 2:35 PM PDT
@Turtle,
Can you make this easier on everyone and either confirm or deny the following:

1. You have an authenticator which is set to prompt for a key on each login.
[Y, N]

2. A suspicious player was on your active player list after your items and gold were gone.
[Y, N]

3. Blizzard reps are not seeing any abnormal activity on your account.
[Y, N]
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/20/2012 2:32 PM PDT
thread 0/10

would not read again

Thanks for the reply and the bump at least = - ) 10/10.
05/20/2012 02:31 PMPosted by Soulstomper
A good really hacker will allow the Anti-malware and Anti-Virus to still look like they are operating. But they will not opertate as intended. It happened to my roommates computer. We run the same software and his said it was up to date but when we tried to change some of the options it would totally ignore him and say it was working as intended. My advice is get some professional help or completely re-do your computer software from the ground up. If this is a gaming rig stritcly used for gaming, re-doing it will be the cheapest and fastest method. FYI.

Dunno considering the multiple threads and multiple pages ON THOSE threads (in tech support forum) I highly doubt this was due to peoples fault. You mean hundreds/thousands all have the same problem after just last night?
you're not the first reporting this, other here http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/5149008518?page=13
some of them doens't have an autenticator, ma some does and receive the same response from support.
something is wrong.
A good really hacker will allow the Anti-malware and Anti-Virus to still look like they are operating. But they will not opertate as intended. It happened to my roommates computer. We run the same software and his said it was up to date but when we tried to change some of the options it would totally ignore him and say it was working as intended. My advice is get some professional help or completely re-do your computer software from the ground up. If this is a gaming rig stritcly used for gaming, re-doing it will be the cheapest and fastest method. FYI.

Dunno considering the multiple threads and multiple pages ON THOSE threads (in tech support forum) I highly doubt this was due to peoples fault. You mean hundreds/thousands all have the same problem after just last night?

I never said that. I simply put forth an option that may or may not be the answer.
Edited by Soulstomper#1513 on 5/20/2012 2:37 PM PDT
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]