Diablo® III

Hacked with an authenticator

(Locked)

Granted, my name calling wasn't warranted. Apologies. Just get a little sick and tired of the constant whiners on these boards. This forum is 95% of the following:

1- WE WANT SINGLE PLAYER IN OUR MULTI-PLAYER GAME!
2- We want single player so we can download this game for free and hack ourselves into loot heaven!
3- IM HACKED but I don't have an authenticator! I've never visited any 3rd party websites. Never Yahoo, never mmochamp, never 4chan, EVER! I turn it on, play Diablo, and shut it off! I don't even check my e-mail!
4- This game suxxx it's not diablo 2! Bring back blizzard north! Bring back the guys who failed torchlight!
5- I want chat lobby! I want to see green/blue/red/white text gold spammers ALL day! Spam ALL the forums!

The remaining 5% of the forum users here are the people that had to deal with CORPSE POPPING when you died in Diablo 1. I can't imagine the amount of flaming that would occur if, every time you died, ALL YOUR LOOT LEFT YOUR BODY like it did in Diablo 1.

You've forgotten the legitimately wronged newcomers.

Also, corpse popping was an exploit in Diablo 2 where a full inventory + an equipped anything + picking up a corpse caused it to pop, dropping all of that corpse's loot on the ground. Back in Diablo 1 corpses weren't even a thing for players, you just had ears.
05/20/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Daltin
I read this thread and just want to LOL at all the people trying to talk about "man in the middle" attacks.

You're obviously the most uninformed one on here. (See: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/man-in-the-middle-attacks-circumventing-authenticators/
Previous MitM attacks acknowledged by Blizzard.)

Do I think it happened here? No, not what I'm saying at all. I'm just informing the uninformed (see: you) that such a thing can/does occur.

So you don't think it happened here but you want to vehemently argue about it. I don't think you actually even know much about MitM attacks other than reading a few articles online.
100 Night Elf Hunter

If you played Skyrim, you might have run across some bugs, for me I had the "Bottomless Bookshelf" bug where I could put as many books as I wanted in, but I could not take them back out. It took Bethesda weeks to fix that issue, granted there may have been more pressing issues for them to fix.

The difference being that you couldn't have your Skyrim account hacked. Why? Oh, that's right.

You could play it offline.

Really? I thought you needed Steam to run Skyrim.

Anyway, Blizzard has had years of practice recognizing when an account has been compromised. And in order for the account thieves to get past your authenticator, they would've had to either implement a man in the middle attack, crack the authenticator itself, or hack into Blizz's servers.

If that were the case, a whole lot more than a few hundred would've discovered their characters naked and their gold/items gone.

Be it as it may, I hope you get to the bottom of whatever is going on with your account, OP.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 5/20/2012 4:18 PM PDT
88 Undead Warlock
05/20/2012 02:09 PMPosted by iMax
Weak passwords are weak. An authenticator is an additional but not undefeatable security measure.

He has an authenticator.... can you people not read?

NOTHING. IS. IMPOSSIBLE. TO HACK.

Do you not realize this? That said, not everyone can execute a man-in-the-middle attack, but once again nothing is unbreakable. All you do by increasing security, is reduce the likeliness but it is never 0%.
05/20/2012 04:01 PMPosted by athrian

You're obviously the most uninformed one on here. (See: http://wow.joystiq.com/2010/02/28/man-in-the-middle-attacks-circumventing-authenticators/
Previous MitM attacks acknowledged by Blizzard.)

Do I think it happened here? No, not what I'm saying at all. I'm just informing the uninformed (see: you) that such a thing can/does occur.

So you don't think it happened here but you want to vehemently argue about it. I don't think you actually even know much about MitM attacks other than reading a few articles online.

So what exactly are you stipulating here? Are you saying that MITM attacks are no longer possible? Are you claiming that NONE of the posters in this thread understand how MITM would function?

Please enlighten us... or at least elaborate on what you are (not) saying.
Jumping to man-in-the-middle attack speculation is like being one of those people that thinks every outbreak of the flu is a terrorist attack with anthrax.
Hi all,

Just got hacked with an authenticator. Blizz told me they haven't detected any suspicious activity. All my items and gold are gone. Diablo = 0/10.

stop going to websites looking for hacks for diablo 3, u mental retard
05/20/2012 02:09 PMPosted by iMax
Weak passwords are weak. An authenticator is an additional but not undefeatable security measure.

He has an authenticator.... can you people not read?

Can you not read?

>Additional, but not undefeatable security measure.
The MitM article is kind of irrelevant.

Mainly because there are a lot of reports coming from people without an authenticator and only a few coming with an authenticator. In this case the authenticated users are a minority.

The only thing it shows us is that it's possible for an authenticator to be bypassed, but I don't think that is the case for this specific issue. It might have been an issue 2 and a half years ago when the article was written but for the thing that's getting all of us today, it's likely not a MitM attack on authenticators. It's something else.

The part where multiple people (with and without) authenticators reporting that official blizzard ticket reps are telling them nothing is suspicious AFTER they notice people named like dcsdsc on their recent list directly after their items/gold are stolen makes me think the entire login authentication (not the authenticator) service is vulnerable to something.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 5/20/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Hey guys I think it was an inside job by Blizzard server admins with physical access to the servers. If you don't want to buy into this then it must mean you're denying it's possible.
The difference being that you couldn't have your Skyrim account hacked. Why? Oh, that's right.You could play it offline.

Really? I thought you needed Steam to run Skyrim.

Steam allows you to play Off-line...
Edited by Sunhammer#1253 on 5/20/2012 4:15 PM PDT
05/20/2012 04:09 PMPosted by athrian
Jumping to man-in-the-middle attack speculation is like being one of those people that thinks every outbreak of the flu is a terrorist attack with anthrax.

Read back through the various posts, sure some of them are claiming that MITM is the only explanation. Most are just outlining various possibilities. MITM has happened before and theoretically could again.

Also possible that this is a DB issue or something else entirely.

In a system this complex there are literally thousands of possibilities as to what happened to items/gold/characters. There could be a security flaw allowing attackers to access accounts. Could be MITM. Could be something else entirely. Nothing wrong with discussing possibilities.
100 Night Elf Hunter
05/20/2012 04:13 PMPosted by athrian
Hey guys I think it was an inside job by Blizzard server admins with physical access to the servers. If you don't want to buy into this then it must mean you're denying it's possible.

That doesn't make sense. Think about it for a moment.
100 Human Paladin
Just curious, has anyone that has been hacked that plays Wow have their Wow stuff stolen as well? I took a quick look on the forums and didn't notice anything like that.
My whole problem with this is that I just don't see real hackers wasting time stealing a few gold and weapons... no sense at all.

I could see someone hijacking your account and reselling it...
I could see someone getting your credit card info....

but all this effort for what?
My whole problem with this is that I just don't see real hackers wasting time stealing a few gold and weapons... no sense at all.

I could see someone hijacking your account and reselling it...
I could see someone getting your credit card info....

but all this effort for what?

selling gold on the RMAH, its gold farmers pulling a stunt
Edited by muttley#1580 on 5/20/2012 4:19 PM PDT
[quote="51495945808"]In a system this complex there are literally thousands of possibilities as to what happened to items/gold/characters. There could be a security flaw allowing attackers to access accounts. Could be MITM. Could be something else entirely. Nothing wrong with discussing possibilities.

That is correct. Which is why I think it's ridiculous that a few people are focusing on MitM with their only reasoning being "well, it's technically possible". I never said it wasn't, or that it hasn't happened in the past. But it's one of the more out-there explanations this early into the problem.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]