Diablo® III

Question regarding attack speed

81 Tauren Death Knight
People have been discussing the strengths and weaknesses of 1 hander vs 2 hander and the effects of weapon speed on the use of ability per arcane power. I have also seen people advocate the greatness of items that add + attack speed.

My question is the following. For spell damage calculation, is the damage after the calculation of + attack speed calculated or before? If the case is after, + attack speed would undoubtedly increase actual damage per arcane power. If the case is before, + attack speed would cause a similar problem of 1 hander vs 2 hander, effectively making your damage remain the same while allowing you to spend your arcane power faster.

Which is it?
Reply Quote
Uhh, you'll have to be more specific especially since a lot of spells really work differently.

For non-channeling spells like arcane orb, meteor, energy twister, having a faster attack speed lets you fire them off faster in succession. That does mean your AP consumption rate is faster, which is why those spells favor high damage, slower weapons.

For channeling spells like disintegrate and ray of frost, AP consumption rate is always constant and damage is calculated off of both attack speed and damage. Therefore, weapons with better overall DPS will always do more damage with those spells, even over slower more hard hitting weapons with less overall DPS.

Having attack speed increase mods is always a good thing, regardless. The difference it makes to just fire a spell is worth it.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Death Knight
You seem to have misunderstood my post. Also, I have seen others note that attack speed does indeed affect channeling spell's rate of power consumption and tick rate.

My question is whether the the damage calculation of spells are done before or after attack speed increase in mods. This is actually a significant detail that determines whether attack speed increase mods are artificial in damage boost purely in the stat screen or whether it definitely increases the overall damage output per arcane power spent.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
The damage of an attack is not affected at all by attack speed of a weapon.

If you have two weapons that have identical damage and stats, but one attacks faster than the other, all your attacks will deal the same damage, but one will be able to fire them off more quickly.

Generally speaking, attack speed is technically always BETTER, but for certain builds it borders on irrelevant. Higher weapon damage is always better under any circumstance.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Death Knight
Okay I feel people are not reading my thread beyond the topic title. Go ahead and read the whole !@#$ing thread before of posting half assed responses.

I am aware of the mechanics of weapon speed and damage and how that factors into spell damage. However, my question is regarding the attack speed magical affix on items outside of the weapon itself and how that is calculated towards spell damage.

It seems more likely to be that the damage calculation is done before any attack speed modifiers on items outside of weapons, but I'd like to confirm.
Reply Quote
I've just tested it on electric hydras. Without double 15% AS + 60 int rings on, hydras damage numbers were 1/3 lower. My guess is that damage is calculated by Damage shown in your inventory (after applying AS bonus) times spell modifier.
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Death Knight
Interesting, I will keep that in mind as I look for more responses
Reply Quote
Did quick test with pure Attack speed rings.

No attack speed bonus 15k DPS = 5k damage per hit on hydras.
With attack speed bonus 18k DPS = 6k damage per hit on hydras.

Formula for damage of orbs and other on hit spells - DPS * spell modifier.
Reply Quote
05/21/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Dorus
Okay I feel people are not reading my thread beyond the topic title.

It's not that, you're just not clearly wording what you're trying to say. I understand what you are asking, but I'm not high enough in the game yet to go around testing this stuff out, I'm just in normal difficulty beating the crap out of everything with magic. And honestly, what you're asking is basically irrelevent, but I'll explain it for those that are misunderstanding you.

THIS IS WHAT HE MEANS:

Say hypothetically you have an amulet that increases attack speed by 10%.

He is wondering whether this amulet will:
-Increase your damage as it is viewed from the item menu (below armor).
OR
-Increase the rate at which you fire a channeled spell (for example, Arcane Barrage would fire more little magic bolts per second and thus consume more AP)
Reply Quote
81 Tauren Death Knight
It is relevant due to the fact that non signature spells are restricted by power not cast rate.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]