Diablo® III

What exactly is the Wizard "exploit"??

To be perfectly honest i've tried it and it totally takes the fun out of the game. It feels broken and off.
It is useless, don't even talk about inferno, it does no justice in hell.
Much better off going for standard stats.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight
05/22/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Afflocktion
i don't know what people are saying about this not being viable for anything but bosses, im nearly in act 4 inferno now and im willing to say its the only viable way of doing so

Define viable. There's no way you're able to kill even half of the elite packs you find. You have to be skipping a huge number. This build has its strengths, but unless you've found some secret the rest of us are missing, there are a large number of affix combos that will simply use cheap "F You" moves to insta-gib you.
Reply Quote
Sorry, but if you really think this exploit is a "clever use of game mechanics" you're an idiot.

I just soloed Bellial on Inferno in a party of 3. During the last phase I literally just stood in one spot and held onto my mouse button until the boss was dead. I ate every meteor and melee hit.

this is definitely not intended and will be patched soon.
Edited by LIGHTS#1958 on 5/22/2012 1:16 AM PDT
Reply Quote
this reminds me of my 60 nano technician in anarchy online before they nerfed absorb shields
Reply Quote
85 Orc Death Knight
RoE
05/22/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Afflocktion
i don't know what people are saying about this not being viable for anything but bosses, im nearly in act 4 inferno now and im willing to say its the only viable way of doing so

Yep it's awesome for pretty much everything.

People whine that you can still be killed. When you consider that pretty much everyone else is getting one shot in Inferno, getting 3 shot at worst is pretty decent.

The problem is I can't see how they nerf it without crippling the Wizard class. It's similar to Smoke Screen in that both classes have no real defences outside of their OP ability.
Reply Quote
i've seen it in practice, it's good in some situations, against a lot of elite packs though it's just hilarious watching the people using it die. i would hope the nerf involves changing health regen to a % rather than changing how force armour works, since it's a legitimately good spell when used as intended
Reply Quote
If Force Armor is nerfed Wizards are going to be pretty laughably bad =/. I guess we can always use Prismatic Armor and just stack the !@#$ out of resistances, but it isn't really sufficient to rival the huge tank stuff that actual tank classes get.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:05 AMPosted by Jd007
I don't think of it as an exploit, rather a clever use of existing game mechanics.

to top it off it's not really that great in practice (inferno). people have over-hyped it because it sounds so good on paper and it's effective at lower difficulties + boss fights. inferno act 2+ elite mobs are the toughest in the entire game and this build isn't really that good (maybe against certain types of mobs). lots of fast attacking soul lashers with motar that does DoT, not just some DoT, but enough DoT to kill in < 1 sec WITH diamond skin active (happened to me a couple times before giving up on that group)

I think it's mainly because it lets Wizards solo pretty much any boss. Against a lot of enemies it doesn't help much because they will just hit you 3 times real fast and you're dead. The funny thing is, bosses aren't that hard anyways.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 01:17 AMPosted by Kuzuryu

People whine that you can still be killed. When you consider that pretty much everyone else is getting one shot in Inferno, getting 3 shot at worst is pretty decent.

The problem is I can't see how they nerf it without crippling the Wizard class. It's similar to Smoke Screen in that both classes have no real defences outside of their OP ability.

If you want to fix it just add a few seconds delay before it can trigger again, it doesn't hurt its original intended use of soaking insta kill stuff.
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Im suprised noones talking about as much IAS you can get and throwing a venom hydra out and just CCn mobs...... Oh wait a sec..
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Kurnis
I fail to understand why this is an "exploit'?

its not necessarily an "exploit" but I believe it should NOT be in the game in its current form. any ability that puts one class HOLYGEEZBALLS above the rest (especially in INFERNO) is ridiculous and doesnt belong in this game.

i mean come on, we have wizards tanking ELITE PACKS. the only people defending this build are people taking advantage of it because they know how overpowered (yes, OP because no other class comes close) it is.

The ability you are looking for is called smoke screen for the DH's. Unlike with wizards that run the risk of dieing, DHs are completely invulnerable while they keep smoke screen up.
Reply Quote
60 Human Death Knight
05/22/2012 01:20 AMPosted by Ayas

If you want to fix it just add a few seconds delay before it can trigger again, it doesn't hurt its original intended use of soaking insta kill stuff.

If I were "nerfing" this, I would add an internal cooldown to Critical Mass, but make its cooldown reduction larger. This would make it more useful for people playing more naturally, but make it less viable for the strategy we're discussing here. You couldn't farm cooldown reduction by getting a billion tiny crits per second. You'd cap out the Critical Mass procs earlier and wouldn't be able to spam Diamond Skin.

Cheap tactic removed by actually just buffing one ability. No real nerfs needed!

Of course it stands to reason that they'd have to add something to the Wizard (and the other classes) that allows them to do something in Inferno besides death-flop from boss to boss.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 01:09 AMPosted by Monomach
I swear everyone that claims this build is good in Inferno is trying to sell gear for it on the auction house.

heheh maybe?
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
Just give us an iron golem and iron maiden for 5 years, i'll be good then.
Reply Quote
Currently in Act 3 inferno, although ive been on inferno for 4 days.

Im using it, but not with the crit. I'll be honest and say its pretty good but it does take skill and a lot of mirco to use. You must be able to dodge dots, react quickly to incoming damage and be able to kite fat mobs (extremely hard).

There are a lot of things that counter it.
Any form of dot kills you a half a second even with diamond skin on. Ranged attacks kill you instantly if you dont react in time.
And fast mobs are almost impossible to kill.

Its a very strong build if you have good micro and pick your fights. The thing is strongest against is bosses, but they all need to be made stronger anyway.

I think its ok however the critical mass reduction is too strong with BiS gear.
Edited by OldGregg#1971 on 5/22/2012 1:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Night Elf Druid
05/22/2012 01:31 AMPosted by OldGregg
I think its ok however the critical mass reduction is too strong with BiS gear.

Man im in garbage gear i'd love some BiS cause it's already strong with the right amount of crit and IAS.
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 01:23 AMPosted by Drekor

its not necessarily an "exploit" but I believe it should NOT be in the game in its current form. any ability that puts one class HOLYGEEZBALLS above the rest (especially in INFERNO) is ridiculous and doesnt belong in this game.

i mean come on, we have wizards tanking ELITE PACKS. the only people defending this build are people taking advantage of it because they know how overpowered (yes, OP because no other class comes close) it is.

The ability you are looking for is called smoke screen for the DH's. Unlike with wizards that run the risk of dieing, DHs are completely invulnerable while they keep smoke screen up.

While I agree with you, but smoke screen isn't OP as it seems. Most mobs will teleport and just 1 shot you, not giving you the chance to react. Also it cost 14 Discipline. Base-line is 30Discipline. So you can only use it twice before using Prep. That's 6 seconds when runed. Prep have a 45second CD, so you can get 4 SS out with 12second of SS. Which leaves you 33 seconds to try and avoid mobs and not get 1 shotted.
Reply Quote
I don't get why so many people hating on this. But anyway, I've been using this build since late hell and I'm now in inferno, it might be super effective in certain fights, especially boss fights with slow and strong attacks, (diablo's meelee, skeleton king's meelee, belial's everything, etc) but like other stuff it's not good at all (diablo's fire spray in phase 3, any fire on the floor, when there's more than 3 range that could hit you at the same time...)
So it has its ups and downs, choosing to use this build just means you can not worry about certain stuff and pay extra attention on some other stuff. I personally think it's very fair.
Reply Quote
Wait, why are Wizards not allowed to tank? Did this game suddenly become a MMORPG overnight where classes are forced into specific roles?
Reply Quote
05/22/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Velexia
Wait, why are Wizards not allowed to tank? Did this game suddenly become a MMORPG overnight where classes are forced into specific roles?

I'd imagine it has something to do with the fact that people are spamming crit-ias builds along side this and putting diamond armor and frost nova on a < 1 second cd, thus gaining the ability to facetank inferno mobs that all but the most farmed "tank" meele classes die to in mere seconds.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]